Why doesn't anyone make an elegant tonearm lifter?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thirtycenturyman, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

I finally bought this and agree that despite its no-frills looks, it works flawlessly

WagesofFear likes this.
  2. WagesofFear

WagesofFear Member

I have one, too. I love it. Works 100% of the time.

3. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Just wear a tuxedo when you lift up the arm.

Myke likes this.
  4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I use the Tru-Lift, works really well and looks outstanding. Takes some patience to find the right spot as some run out area can be very narrow if you have 27-28 min on a side.

Rickchick and F1nut like this.
  5. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

It's about a 50/50 ratio of helpful comments versus smart-a$$ comments (get off your a$$, get a fully automatic 'table, just listen to CDs) :doh:

Big Blue likes this.
  6. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Carlo Lupo makes a beautiful Tru-Lift. You can find him at Integrity HiFi.

nosliw likes this.
  7. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Once you get the exact spot so you don't miss the last bits of the last song, the Tru-Lift is essential. I can't imagine going without it now.

Carlo will ship straight from Canada, he's a friend of mine. Find the Integrity HiFi page, or find him on Facebook by his name or Tru-Lift. Tell him Jean Smith sent you.

nosliw and F1nut like this.
  8. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I use one of these on my Linn it works great. A lot smaller than the Q-up that I use on my VPI. I like it much more than the Q-up.

9. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

10. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

The mechanical arm lifters are a hassle because you need to reset them for every play.

I'm surprised that an IR remote-controlled arm lifter hasn't gone into production, the technology would be very cheap now and it would give the listener more control for manual turntables.

11. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

Is there someone who have a armlifter on a Michell GyroSE ?
    So yes, wich one ? and if possible picture please.

MGW likes this.
  12. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Thanks! He actually answered my email when I asked what model I should use on my 'table. Just shot an email back to him.

13. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

It's a hassle to put on record on a platter too.

MGW likes this.
  14. qwerty

Very funny.

There are a couple of advantages to an IR remote-controlled arm lifter.
    1. Manually lowering the arm to the record (incl. using a dampened cue) means the music will often start playing before the operator has had the opportunity to relocate from the turntable to the listening chair. Having a remote control to lower it means the operator can start the music from the listening chair. As we have become used to doing with CDs.
    2. Being able to raise+lower the arm during playback gives the user a pause control. Not something that will be used every day, but nice to have when you need it.
    3. One limitation of the mechanical raisers is that some records have different positions for the lead-out groove, so different positions could be required if LP's, 7"/12" singles, and 78's are played. An IR lifter will cater for all disk variations. And there will be no problems from forgetting to reset a manual lifter like the ones mentioned earlier in the thread.

15. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Sounds like a great idea for those that have the deck within IR range. I don't. I do have enough time to sit down before music starts play though.

qwerty likes this.
  16. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Speaking of Tru-Lift, one of my local record shops will be carrying the Integrity Tru-Lift. Never saw them in action in real-life, but it does work exactly as intended from the looks of it.

17. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

and is elegant looking to boot. I also have one of those brass units at the top of this thread. No contest.

18. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

From the folks who wrote the book - Audio-Technica
    smooth as silk
    can even get one off amazon - I've seen prices from 100 to 130 - middle of the road expensive but not terrible
    AT6006R
    AT6006R Safety Raiser

snorker likes this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Never away from my table when the record side finishes. I do the "lifting"...

20. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Many just use the Rega ones. They work fine and look good for most

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I do like the idea. Regarding point 3, is what you are proposing remote controlled only, or is it also automatic at the end of the side? If it is automatic, I am curious how it caters for different lead-out positions. If it is remote-only, then I am not sure it solves the main problem a tonearm lifter is meant to address?

qwerty likes this.
  22. qwerty

Re: IR remote-controlled arm lifter
    I'm proposing that it's IR controlled only. The arm can be cued at the start of the record (or at the desired track), then the operator can sit in the optimal listening position, and when ready, remotely lower the arm.
    When the playing of the side is complete, and the listener recognises the last track has completed playing or can hear the stylus in the lead-out groove, he/she can remotely raise the arm. No need for any automatic functionality.

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Well, I think automatic functionality is the whole point of the existing lifters on the market, isn’t it? I agree entirely it would be nice to cue from the chair and to be able to pause remotely, but it seems to me most comments from people who want something like this have to do with falling asleep (which I personally don’t really get, as I’m more of a fall asleep with the TV on type of guy) or being distracted/out of the room at the end of a side. I know I’ll occasionally get caught with dirty hands in the kitchen when a side ends, and it would take just as much hand washing and drying to be able to handle the remote control as it would to just get to the turntable. An auto-lift at the end of side in addition to the remote down/up control would be more applicable to my own preferences.

I’d also need it to fit around a KAB damper on a SL-1200. I am being an extremely particular consumer, I know...

24. qwerty

I know some people would want an auto-lifter so they can fall asleap or not worry if they are in another room.

I have always felt that most people would want one (myself included) to avoid having to listen to the repetitive sound of the needle in the runout loop.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  25. Bevelhead

Bevelhead New Member

I once had an Audio-Technica Safety Raiser, and it was superb ... while it worked. The trigger wire had to latch into a groove and thereby hold down the bit that lifted the arm. It eventually wore to the point that it would no longer latch.

I have read that the reincarnated version holds the trigger wire magnetically. Can this be confirmed to be (1) true and (2) capable of surviving more than a few cycles of use? If so, I'd call the A-T device well worth what it costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.