Why DVDs are better than Bluray.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bring them back please, I’d buy them. Better than digipacks.

2. alexpop

Long boxes ?weren’t they designed to help stop theft. Thinking Tower Records.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think they helped people transition from LP to CD, especially if you had poor eyesight. In college I used the box fronts to create a huge poster of all my favorite albums.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of BluRays I've bought that I regret "upgrading" (GoodFellas, eXistenZ and Dead Man), and two of those (GoodFellas and Dead Man) were subsequetly upgraded, so now I'm 2/3 happy. Oh, and two which I managed to avoid (Marie Antoinete and Monster.)

I'll agree with the complaints about the horrible packaging of many of them. After LaserDisc and the early days of DVD, most of the current packagaing seems dreadful. But the actual discs themselves? I plan to continue replacing my DVDs for as long as I can.

Twelve years in to the format, I'm a satisfied customer.

But, yeah, improve the packaging. Standardize studio releases to Arrow or Criterion level, include all the previous bonus features and get rid forever of those eco-cases with huge holes in 'em. Pure evil, those are, especially when you have to buy most titles mail order.

Linger63 likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I don't own Blade Runner on Blu-Ray, watched the DVD version of BR: The Final Cut recently on a 720p HD TV, and it looked passable.

Now that I have a 4k TV and a UHD-capable Blu Ray player, I've really been itching to upgrade the film to the latest BD to see how it looks and sounds.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

HD-DVD! Most folks don't remember but HD-DVD was actually a bit ahead of BluRay when it came out. The HD-DVD menus were far better and BluRay was going through "version levels", with some players needing serious updates along the way just to keep up with the changes that format was going through. Of course, Sony muscled in to make sure BD "won", but I had both and I preferred HD-DVD in those early days. BluRay caught up but only after HD-DVD was squashed by the companies choosing not to go the dual format route (which was a good decision in the long run. I wish they would have done that with DVD-A/SACD and every other format war deal)

Kiko1974 likes this.
  7. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

yoohoo :tiphat:

Artwork - Laserdisc
    Picture Quality - Blu-ray and Laserdisc
    Sound Quality - Blu-ray and Laserdisc
    Extra disc features - In order: DVD, Blu-ray, Laserdisc.
    Extra Extra Exotic linear note booklets - Laserdisc
    Trick Play with CAV discs - Laserdisc
    Player which weighs in excess of 20Kg - Laserdisc
    Funky eject button award - VHS
    Top Loader poptart - VHS
    Jet engine 100dB rewinding and spinning mechanism - VHS and Laserdisc
    Music concert/video special award - Laserdisc

Winner - Laserdisc :cool: ;)

DigMyGroove and John B Good like this.
  8. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Having worked in record shops since 1986, longboxes and plastic blister packs were designed so CDs would fit into existing record bins, making the CD as tall as a record sleeve, and as a theft deterrent.
    The bigger the packaging, the thinking went, the more difficult to steal.

Jrr, Shawn and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

This! Seriously, can we get that coating on CDs?

Jimmy B., LeBon Bush and Michael like this.
  10. alexpop

Up to about 2012 you could still get your dvds / cds buffed free of scratches some DVD stores had the expensive machine ( on hire ).

11. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I came across a mom and pop music store around the very early 2000s or so that still had tons of factory sealed long box albums at the standard cd prices of like $10-20. It was in a small rural town and so they must've gone upwards or a decade or more without selling. It was pretty interesting to see at the time and I didn't buy any. But some of them might be worth some money now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Jrr likes this.
  12. No, it's really not.

13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think anyone is arguing that BluRay does not have a superior picture or sound. That's not the point at all in this case. We should all grasp that most consumers value convenience over quality when it comes to music and video, even though this forum is not composed for the most part of the average music and video consumer. We're a subset here.

Despite the technical superiority of the BluRay product, the question remains: Are video and sound quality are the only features with any value? Is taking away all of the nifty little extras that one came to expect on a DVD a good thing? Also, is the typical BluRay player simpler to operate? Try to think of it from the standpoint of the average consumer, say your Grandmother, rather than the viewpoint of the tech-savvy. And without looking down one's nose at Grandma.

John B Good likes this.
  14. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

taking away all the extras??? for the few titles that the extras appear only on the dvd,Keep the dvd? get the Blue Ray for the Movie Each 4k title comes with a Blu ray ,so one will get the extras ,so theres plenty of extras are on Blu Ray
    streaming is the easiest if your Grandmother wants to watch something

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

HDMI blows chunks! And it's annoying DRM crap.

2trackmind likes this.
  16. For almost all of my collection, the Blu-ray Discs port over the DVD extras and usually add even more. The only time there seems to be an exception is if there’s a rights/clearance issue.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I wish!

18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I only own concerts BDs, not movies (not interested) Picture Q is better by leaps and bounds . This said, my BDP upscales so well I never feel unsatisfied with the picture of my DVDs, even at the lowest bitrates. And the gross bulk of my collection is comprised of DVDs.

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Glad it upscales THAT well. But you should be able to tell a BIG difference. Have your peeps checked dude !

Chris from Chicago and Linger63 like this.
  20. Michael

yep keep the DVD for the missing extras on BD...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I've seen it go both ways, usually omitting one or two items, not entire collections of bonus features. Even more aggravating, I'd say.

The most egregious example is, of course, from Disney: the Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 Blu-rays lock away many of the bonuses from the DVD releases behind BD-Live functionality... and apparently while still being on the disc itself!

22. Michael

can't say I was a fan of those, but steelbooks? I would never buy unless they were used or new if they were cheaper than the BD which on occasions they are...picked up a bunch of SB for a buck a piece used...

23. But HD-DVD is inferior compared to BD. A Two layer HD-DVD had 30 GB , a two layer BD has 50 GB,HD-DVD used VC-1 as a codec,BD could use it also (like Warner Bros. and Universal did for years) but AVC is better, and I don't remember if lossless audio codecs were mandatory on HD-DVD but except for some early Warner Bros. titles,mainly TV series and old catalogue titles,the rest use losless codecs and have for many years.
    I don't know if HD-DVD had a protective layer, BD's Durabys developed (as far as I know) by TDK is oustanding at protecting discs from scratches. I've received BD's from the US that were loose inside their box out of the spindle and they were in mint condition.

Linger63 likes this.
  24. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

What are people doing with their dvds and cds that get them so scratched?

In the history of me buying both (since 85) I’ve only had 4 cds get scratched and that was from a poorly designed, cheap cd case that had it’s zipper aligned with the edge of where you pulled the cds out. I had it about a week before it went into the trash.

25. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I’m going to go on record saying that I have a Blu-ray player but only 6 Blu-ray discs. Everything else is dvd. For whatever reason, I find the higher definition from Blu-ray annoying. Perhaps this is from going to the drive-in as child and into my teens. I find dvds warmer ....... hahahaha ..... I can’t believe I just typed that.

I hate that my Blu-ray player has a mind of it’s own. Sometimes it turns itself back on just moments after I shut it off. :cussing: thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.