Why DVDs are better than Bluray.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Personally I disdain most "clever" menus that make noise and move around. Fun for the menu designers and an obstacle for the end user.
    I just want to navigate to a selection quickly and without ambiguity, and without a blaring soundtrack or looping clip that spoils the unfolding of the actual film.

RolandG and John B Good like this.
  2. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Yeah, but did he mention the Beatles????

Exotiki and JediJoker like this.
  3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Seriously, I transisted to blu ray with great joy and never looked back. Couldn't care less about the menus - I just wish that older catalog titles by, for example, Warner would go back to using text instead of those weird symbols. But they started this laziness on DVD already, so that's not a format issue.

Some movies just shine on BD - the Tarantino films are fabulous in my book, especially sound-wise. That's where the lossless sound really pays off! Also, releases like the 50th Anniversary "Lawrence of Arabia" continue to be breathtaking, quality and extra-wise. I love blu ray, it's my movie format of choice.

Nonetheless, I also agree on the notion that many DVDs still look good when properly upscaled - my copy of "Shaft's Big Score!", a dual-sided disc in a snapper case that's about 20 years old still looks more than sufficient when played in my blu ray player. Also, many movies are unavailable on BD in my area ("The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" being an example).

fr in sc and Linger63 like this.
  4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm one who's never heard of him mainly because there's so many infotainment vids on YouTube that come across as real information trying to help people that it all gets mixed in with the all the other crappy talking heads who speak with an authoritative tone so they can be called "experts".

Some of what he said is true in my case and some was new info I've never heard about or experienced with any media distribution format. Not everyone is a nerd that plays BluRays on Sony Playstation. Was that an inside joke as well? After watching the video and reading the responses in this thread I now understand how "fake news" was created and probably on a whim and most likely by people who like this guy thinks it's funny to create a long winded video using obscure technical tidbit factoids meant to be inside jokes but doesn't realize very few are even going to get his humor. He either needs a handler like an agent or someone who has common sense and a solid background in communication and marketing as an advisor.

It now just comes across as humorless and tone deaf fake news wasting everybody's time.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fair enough...I gotcha.

Maybe it’s because it took a long time to figure out how to get rid of the “soap opera effect”. can you please explain this further?

Nice Marmot likes this.
  6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

[​IMG]

7. Michael

O, OK...gotcha

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

9. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

well if you have any money invested in a home theater setup. 4K discs are still the best way to go for providing the best image & sound (Atmos).
    Blu-ray video quality on a large screen can still be very good and acceptable in a home theater and it seems more are offering Dolby Atmos in the soundtracks.
    Regular dvds, I wouldn't buy any now or even want to watch them on my system with a 138" screen, not in 480P.
    Its like having a lot of money invested in a nice audio system with a high-end turntable, but using a very cheap cartridge and stylus.

RolandG, Tim Lookingbill and Linger63 like this.
  10. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

There are preset image quality settings on tvs. Most of them come set to sports but they can be changed to others. Most people never go past the initial sport setting and sports look great but movies look like the set of a soap opera.

I learned about it here. There was a thread with a video of Tom Cruise making an passioned plea to tv owners to hunt down this setting and change it to restore movies to how they were meant to be viewed. The thread faded fast but I researched my tv, found and changed the setting. There was a noticeable difference.

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

is the setting called something else ? does it differ from TV to TV? Motion Smoothing?

Nice Marmot likes this.
  12. Michael

I am still surprised how many DVDs I have that have stalled...no BD editions! Mickey Blue Eyes was just looking for a BD of this...nope.

13. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Yes, motion smoothing. I don’t know how much it varies between tvs but my Samsung 65” was set to sports. I know it’s in the menu but don’t remember where.

Tom Cruise stars in impassioned PSA against motion smoothing

Edit: in the thread, I thank Tom Cruise :laugh:

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Michael

Nice Marmot likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Factory presets look usually awful. I change them all to get a way nicer pic. Most people that visit me asks what model my sets are, because they want to get the same ones to be able to watch the same pic. Then I explain them they could calibrate their existing sets to look just as nice, and I usually end up calibrating other people's sets.

OAN, the other day I went to a birthday party (friend of my wife) and ended up setting up her new TT; she was so happy with the result, and much to the dismay of all the people there who had spent good money on gifts, she said out loud it was the best birthday gift she had received:cool:

16. Michael

that was great gift! it keeps on giving. ; )

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Here in the US, you can still get CDs and DVDs buffed.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Machines are expensive, more so blu ray machines. Cheaper to hire them.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I just use the Cinema/Movie preset as a be all end all and it works for me

Sound of the Suburbs likes this.
  20. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

And not even subtitles... I mean, I get along in english very well, but I'd still prefer to at least get english subtitles for my first watch of an english-language movie. As a non-native, making out every line or dialogue can be quite hard in some movies...

22. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I understand completely; that is why I referred you to the review.

Word on the street is that Criterion has the rights to this film, so there is hope for a better edition.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  23. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Insta-buy if true! :edthumbs:

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Longboxes also fit better into bins made for LPs!

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

During BD's early years, that often wasn't the case. Plenty of 2006-08 BDs that dropped extras!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.