Why I love Vinyl - Part 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle Al, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member Thread Starter

Scored the following today -

Jefferson Airplane "Surrealitic Pillow" - RCA black label mono - unforseen bonus, the inner sleeve is the original US inner sleeve from Sgt. Pepper (pink "swirly" design)
    Nick Lowe - Pure Pop Columbia US
    Earth, Wind and Fire - Gratitude (2 lp's) Columbia US - with inner sleeves

total cost: $4.98

I love this hobby!

P.S. - these are not for collecting, they are for listening!

2. Andy

Andy New Member

Are you saying you play reocrds?

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hey Al, I have the EWF "Gratitude" double LP, a first run pressing from 1975. The latest CD remaster sounds much better and restores some things left off the LP.

4. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I think that I shall never see
    A CD warm as an LP

A whirling disc with needle prest
    Within its grooves my ears to bless

5. Grant

A good example of a CD that sounds as good as a vinyl playback:

"Rit" by Lee Ritenour on Discovery records distributed by (or was distrubuted by) Elektra Entertainment. The president of Elektra at the time is a lover of vinyl and he wanted the series to reflect their LP counterparts.

Don't forget that DCC makes CDs that sound the same as the LP counterparts. Those Jimi Hendrix LPs by Experience Hendrix records/MCA of a few years ago also sound the same as the CDs.

The latest CD of Steely Dan'r "Aja" sounds exactly the same as the original ABC Records vinyl LP.

I A/B'd all of these. If these don't sound the same on your system in an A/B comparison, somethings not right in your system. maybe your vinyl playback is too mellow or your CD playback is not at it's best. Maybe your cables are not compatable. Something.

I have always believed that the CD can sound every bit as good as vinyl. It's all in the mastering. Steve Hoffman's work has proved that over and over.

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Grant, what's your vinyl playback system (turntable, cartridge, phono stage etc), if I may ask?

7. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Playing back records is much more difficult than playing back CDs. It is also much more expensive, with good turntables starting in the thousands of dollars, phono stages starting in the thousands of dollars, etc., etc.

If you haven't invested that kind of money, and time, and effort, you no doubt believe records have many shortcomings which are simply the result of equipment limitations. Which can be overcome, IMO, with money, time and effort.

Steve's CDs are the best out there. But his records are even better. If you need better equipment to recognize this fact, I am only too happy to help.

TP

8. Grant

If Steve tells us that his DCC CDs and LPs sound the same, what more do you need? If one is sounding better than the other, something must be wrong.

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Grant,

I think Steve has never said that his CD's & vinyl sound exactly the same. The "tone" should be the same. Both formats have their positives and negatives...

Todd

10. Andy

Andy New Member

Ok, good sound is going to cost, I agree with that. One of my coworkers is trying to put together a complete system for around $5-6 thousand. Should I tell him not to even try? Some of us have to dig really really deep to come up with an "extra" $5-6 thousand. Would it be better not to buy a turntable until you can budget $5-6k just for the table & phonostage?

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not exactly. If you have an LP ad CD of "Pet Sounds" (or what have you) they should sound exactly the same. What's different is, the tonality of your playback end.

You should be able to A/B Steve's stuff and be quite confused of which format you're listening to - CD or LP.

12. Andy

Andy New Member

This may sound stupid but I'll ask anyway. If you own Pet Sounds (or any of the other titles out on both formats) on LP why buy the CD?

13. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Confused? Not likely.

Can't agree with that. There should be no question whatsoever which is which, on the right system. The tonality should be the same. That is what I believe and that is what I believe Steve believes.

Everything else is different.

TP

14. Grant

One could ask, if you have both with all things being equal, why buy the LP? The CD has many conveniant features that the LP could never have.

Yup. This has turned into yet another LP vs. CD thread.

15. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

"Wake Me, Shake Me, When It's Over"

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No no. No LP vs. CD stuff right now. Let's take that off campus.

I love both. They can both sound musical and wonderful, and they can both sound like crap if mastered badly or played back badly.

'Nuff said! ;)

17. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

"Both" are great formats!

Todd

18. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

SO what does this mean?

That Steve can get the best out of each format, so much so, that using uncoloured analog and digital playback, both formats are indistinguishable? Or are they sonically "shaped" (via balancing and hard work and compensating for each formats flaws) to sound similar, so you get the same sound (tone) out of the recording, regardless of which format you choose? I believe it is the former, the closest to the sound of the master in each format.

Seems to me it has been proven (i.e DCC) that the redbook format is workable with the requisite time and effort, so did the introduction of DVD-A and SACD simply mean that most people would not devote the time to making 16/44 redbook work properly? Just like people who gave up on LP's because they wouldn't invest in a good analog front end?

I think there should be audible differences between the CD and LP, especially in the top end and being able to immerse oneself into the music.

19. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Yes it has, wonder why that is? ;)

20. Andy

Andy New Member

My intent was not to start a CD vs LP debate. My point (if I really had one) is that if you own the LP you can make your own cdr copy and save 30 bucks

21. Grant

...or couldn't...

22. Grant

Agreed.

23. Andy

Andy New Member

So anyway, how much does one have to spend for a good analog front end? I now know I must be missing something but I don't know if I can afford to go and find it. I'm not even sure I'd know what it was if I did find it.

24. Grant

Exactly why most people stick to CD, $$$ that most audiophiles think everyone has so much of to spend on high-end gear. :rolleyes:

Next, we're going to hear the "It's not my problem" speech...

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Quality CD playback doesn't come cheap either. It can easily equal vinyl in terms of cost. Many audiophiles will spend $$$ on getting their LP playback just right but spend 25% of the cost on CD and then complain that CD doesn't come close to their vinyl rig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.