Why is there no good vinyl issue of Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating into space

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erowid, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A similar thing happened with Stereolabs "Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements" and PJ Harvey's "Is This Desire?". Especially the latter is also very pricey.

Records like this should either be bought reasonably (not really a possibility anymore) or from trustworthy people. Or as reissues! :righton:

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thanks.

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thankfully they are finally reissuing the PJ Harvey albums!!!

Neonbeam and AlienRendel like this.
  4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Especially in the case of Stereolab, their whole reissue campaign is absolutely aces.

5. jc hifi

jc hifi Well-Known Member

6. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

To answer the OP of this thread. I think that there finally is!!!

7. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I cannot wait to get this VMP pressing. So glad I held off on spending a lot of money on an original.

8. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

VMP's pressings are very good but their selections can be a little quirky.

9. Neonbeam

If this is on Fat Possum and pressed by GZ(!) it seems not unlikely that it will see a regular release very soon. I certainly wouldn't pay fancy flipper prices for it. Even though the $50 people already are offering this for seems not unreasonable.

10. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

The first review of this I saw was not great - has anyone else listened?

11. Zapruder

First review of the VMP pressing? Man, that was fast.

12. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Review? Where?

13. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

But we have to sign up for the VMP record club to get it, is that correct? Or will it be available for retail?

14. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

If you're going to say that there is a review and it's not great, please provide a link.

johnnybrum and AlienRendel like this.
  15. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Fat Possum put out Sweet Heart Sweet Light, so maybe they will eventually offer this VMP pressing as a standalone release? Hope so.

16. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I was hoping for something special but Fat Possum has never done much for me.

Still excited and hoping it comes out all right

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

For everyone asking — review below, from Reddit:

Got my Spirtualized Today : VinylMePlease

"Well finally got this one spinning tonight. I’ll start off by saying, I am not a golden ear by any stretch, I have some OK gear (AT LP120 /w a bypassed phono stage > kit Phono > Yamama S201 > Tritrix TLs) so these are just my thoughts as I listen through. Kids are asleep so don’t have this blasting (wish I could) so could be volume related things here.

No major cleaning or anything like that, unwrap, hit with the dust brush and we are off.

I have listened to this album a couple of times on Spotify so have an idea of what this sounds like digital. I’m not a nut over this group but respect what it was for the genre at the time, and it is just a great album content wise. Will be a staple in my collection for the duration.

Album was cut on center and all that, no issue getting on the spindle (been having to “shave” a lot of center holes lately) Quality of the press looks great. Again, Packaging on this as absolutely outstanding.

Overall Grade B-

I’ll be honest not the “fullest” album I own. Some areas are pretty wonderful other areas just feel “flat”. The mix on this album is just a little odd to me, some places have great Dynamic Range, others feel really stressed. I will say the digital version also has a lot of the same aspects though, so could be looking at a “it’s how it was recorded” situation. Not so much a pressing thing.

Side A - Slight Noise on Track 1 but goes away, Track 3 gets fairly sibilant towards the end of the side.

Side B - Noise pretty consistent but not at all distracting, honestly had I not read up one some of the previous pressings I may not have noticed as much.

Side C - Seems to be the best sounding of the bunch. Horns on this side sound silky at times comes and goes though.

Side D - Seems to be pretty on par with Side C. Again it’s more a mix issue than a how it was cut issue here (as it pertains to DR etc.)

Hope this helps some, I’m not disappointed with the snag at all, looking forward to giving it a few more spins to really settle in."

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Sounds like that guy isn't very familiar with the album.

19. Zapruder

Yeah, it sounds like his complaints are just part of what the record sounds like. Spiritualized records have never really been engineering marvels.

20. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Also sounds like his cartridge isn’t properly set up, the sibilance issue at the end of a side.
    More reviews will probably come in the next week...

21. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Indeed. Quite useless review IMO.

22. Neonbeam

But he listened to it on Spotify! A couple of times!! :hide:

Beaker73 and ghoulsurgery like this.
  23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Most Spiritualized albums ARE engineering marvels! Look at the way the Pure Phase mix* was constructed. Pierce does tend to make strange decisions that sometimes that result in odd mixes, but I think that's in part because of the sheer amount of time he spends tweaking things. My feeling is that he has a tendency to go too far down the rabbit hole which can result in a loss of perspective (the lack of low-end on the heavier songs on SHSL really bothers me, for example), but in the end the records are generally stunning. I haven't received my VMP copy yet. In August my record of the month didn't ship until the end of the month, so I'm not holding my breath yet.

*Pure Phase was actually mixed twice, with the separate mixes laid atop each other, in synchronization, creating the sound of two copies of the album playing simultaneously. Pierce called it a “nightmare” to synch.

Gabe Walters and Maggie like this.
  24. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I hadn’t known that! Will have to give it a listen again soon.

25. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Its two mono mixes of the album, one in each stereo channel. Which is what he said, but in different words!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.