Why No Anniversary Editions For Earlier Beatles Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saborlord123, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." Thread Starter

Speculate away! Why did Apple wait until Sgt. Pepper's to start doing 50th anniversary editions?

tug_of_war and dbone828 like this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I imagine it has something to do with the demixing mono-to-stereo/multi track technology that wasn't (isn't?) perfect yet.
    It's very useful for the first couple albums. Maybe we'll get (enhanced) remixes of the earlier albums in the coming years...

The Ole' Rocker and Paulwalrus like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Think they’ll wait for the 60th anniversary to do the rest.

4. saborlord123

That's what I was thinking, at least for Please Please Me and With The Beatles, there was not much to remix!

2141, audiomixer and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not convinced they'll do deluxe sets for the other albums - especially not the pre-"Rubber Soul" stuff.

Would love to get those, but wouldn't be at all surprised if the SDEs end after "Let It Be"...

tug_of_war likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...he will get to destroying the early albums as well...give him time he'll find away to center those vocals! LOL...remember he loves making stereo emulate mono...brilliant! HA HA...

JFS3, frightwigwam and Rich C like this.
  7. Michael

does that matter when you are on a mission? ; )

8. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

They probably wanted to do something special for Pepper on it's anniversary. After that sold well, they just kept going. Wouldn't be surprised if they went back and did others later.

9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I don’t think so. Notice how they’re not using 50th Anniversary Edition and using Anniversary Edition only for AR?
    That gives them room to release Anniversary Editions of other albums without using a specific milestone # and having to wait for that date.

Paulwalrus and MPLRecords like this.
  10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

He's on a mission from John.

Buddybud and Sean like this.
  11. saborlord123

Good point, when you do a deluxe edition for one of the best albums of the 20th century, it's pretty much guaranteed to sell!

Paulwalrus, FillmoreGuy, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. Michael

nah...John would NOT be a gilesfried follower...

13. Oatsdad

Maybe 15 years ago, DVD releases started to do that: they'd call themselves "Anniversary Editions" though they didn't come out in milestone years.

Always seemed silly. Every year is an "anniversary year"! :laugh:

steppednwhat and dbone828 like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The term 'Anniversary Edition' without the number was actually also used on the Sgt. Pepper and White Album box set packaging.
    In case the earlier albums get that treatment as well I think they'll take the chance for either 55th or 60th anniversaries.

MPLRecords likes this.
  15. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of the remixes myself. But to be fair, it seems that stereo emulating mono is not a new thing at all. In fact, judging by the CDs I own, I would say it is the industry standard. When I was getting bit by the mono bug, I used later U2 CDs to justify the case for mono being the superior mix. Because beautiful stereo from the '70s, the peak imho, was nowhere to be found. Just about everything centered. Once in awhile you will hear an instrument featured in only one of the channels.

Either way, I found my way back to loving stereo best. And vocals on one side don't bother me at all anymore. My love affair with mono was a short one. But I ended up the better for it as I have better understanding and appreciation for audio in general.

2141, DRM and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

I love the mono Beatles singles I heard on AM radio back in the 60's...love them, but I love Stereo more...no need to center vocals when there's a mono version available..

2141, DRM and frightwigwam like this.
  17. Oatsdad

If they try to tie into actual milestone anniversaries, I think that "Revolver" is the next possible one for its 55th 2 years from now.

I suspect 2020 will be dedicated to "Let It Be", so a 55th of "Help!" or "RS" seem unlikely.

Maybe they could do 55 for "Revolver" and then go with 60 for the remaining albums, though they'd have to wait until 2023!

dbone828 and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. Michael

when will it ever stop! LOL...are they gonna remix the remixes back to the original mixes? HA! for nostalgic purposes? ...hey gilesfried has plenty of time!

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I wasn't talking about re-doing the album remixes we already got.^^

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

I was making a joke wasn't a comment on with your post specifically my friend. : )

steppednwhat and andrewskyDE like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ah okay, sorry. :tiphat:

22. Michael

: )

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wrong way round.

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Or the 100th...give everybody a rest and enough time to accumulate some $$$ for all these box sets!

7solqs4iago likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Part of me wants to say there's not enough of an audience to sell big expensive boxed sets of albums like "For Sale" or "Please Please Me".

But if Macca can make SDEs of albums like "Wild Life" work, then I guess there is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.