Why, oh why, do people ruin music with compression???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I'm glad you were able to buy even more vintage versions of old albums to solve your problem. The point I'm making is that modern equipment is optimized for modern mastering. They aren't doing this to be evil. They are doing it because it sounds better for the majority of listeners. So painting with a broad brush about the 'evils' of compression and assuming we are all 'suffering' with distortion and lack of nuance isn't right.

The HomePod is a great example of a product designed to compensate for all types of masters including those that are compressed. Good article here:

The Multipressor (an abbreviation for multiband compressor) is an extremely versatile audio mastering tool. It splits the incoming signal into different frequency bands—up to four—and enables you to independently compress each band. After compression is applied, the bands are combined into a single output signal.

The advantage of compressing different frequency bands separately is that it allows you to apply more compression to the bands that need it, without affecting other bands. This avoids the pumping effect often associated with high amounts of compression.

As the Multipressor allows the use of higher compression ratios on specific frequency bands, it can achieve a higher average volume without causing audible artifacts.

Apple HomePod Review: Smart Speaker for the High-End? | Part-Time Audiophile

2. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Sidechain compression. Sounds very cool on techno/trance tracks. Not so great on anything else.

The Gomper likes this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't heard Bob and Tom in ages.

Grant, BeatleJWOL and The Gomper like this.
  4. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

But they aren't hard limited and volume-maxed to the point of clipping. Compression isn't really the enemy, it's when the dynamic range is reduced to zero and the smiley faced EQ gets compressed within an inch of its life and then hard limited to reduce the peaks and then the volume max brings it to the point of constant clipping. Like on the commercial CD of Californication.

5. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've got multiple stereo setups of modern digital audio equipment. And compressed masters sound like crap no matter which system I play it on. It even sounds like crap on my car stereo (where well-mastered music sounds fine).

6. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Cool. I don't buy Apple products. I'm strictly PC. I'm glad you found something that works for you. What I have works for me.

7. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Some people simply don't hear it. Or have the Apple HomePod. Good for them. I guess.

SirMarc, tin ears and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

People buying CD's, complaining about them, but then also complaining that people don't buy CD's anymore and that they won't listen to anything that's not on CD is like 80% of the content of this board. :laugh:

9. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

To each their own, but it sounds like the someone's 7 year old brat snuck over to the mixing console and to get some negative attention he keeps turning the volume knob up and down for all the tracks, except vocal and drums. Then when they kick him out, the brat goes to the light switch at the door and turns it on and off in repetition. I wouldn't be surprised if this is roughly how the trend started.

10. walrus

Is there a version without auto-tune? :laugh:

Grant, andrewskyDE and Devin like this.
  11. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

If it's too loud you are too old.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  12. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

And then they tell you vinyl isn't worth the effort!

walrus likes this.
  13. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Hmmm! I've used multi band compressors in my studio, and whilst they work fine for some tracks, for other tracks the splitting of the frequency spectrum into bands can make for a rather disjointed sound. I certainly wouldn't use one for everything.

Exotiki, Grant, showtaper and 2 others like this.
  14. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Agree. I prefer to listen to something that sounds great turned up, not something that sounds like it needs to be turned down. Give me something that makes me reach for the volume knob for the right reasons.

15. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Yeah, it's called One Hot Minute!

joannenugent and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Not until Anthony Kiedis learns to stop singing everything so damn sharp.

17. walrus

The RHCP were over for me when Keidis decided technology had finally advanced to where he could be a "singer." It hurts me.

Robotlove, Man at C&A and Devin like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't find that as hilarious as the general notion of apologists for the process claiming that "the general public doesn't care"...well, if they don't care, WHY THE HELL DO IT. What is the thought process that went into going out of your way to ruin your own production, thinking you're somehow satisfying a segment of the market you've already determined, is ambivalent to it.

The Gomper and EVOLVIST like this.
  19. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

oh look, people have been using them since the 30s.

1930s-40s – Compression created to control volume of TV/Radio presenters whispering/talking quietly as-well as an entire audience clapping.
    The first compressors just had In/Out functions and no other controls.

1937 – ‘The Western Electric 110 limiting amplifier created, being considered to be the first commercially available compressor.

1980s – DAWs included Compression as standard in their software, rather than needing Compression Racks.

2007 – Tracks started using less heavy compression, experimenting with different compression levels

20. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

exactly my point

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  21. 2007? This is been going on since about '91/'92. Unless we're talking about something else.

Strat-Mangler and George P like this.
  22. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

It should go without saying on this forum, but the issue of compressed mastering (a.k.a. loudness war) has nothing to do with listening volume. I like listening to uncompressed music at high volume, but I can't stand listening to compressed music that way. It's the exact opposite of what you're implying.

23. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Bob retired, so you won't hear him.

BeatleJWOL and The Gomper like this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I guess it's just Tom then. I used to listen to the Mark and Brian show years ago.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

It's too bad we can't get a decent version on vinyl like Stadium Arcadium.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.