Why so much interest in negative aspects of music here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I hear you — I always try to add similar-thread links in the context of the fact that successfully searching for earlier threads can be difficult, and as a crusty Gabby Hayes old-timer I’ve learned a bunch of site search tricks that turn up such threads. The snide “we’ve already done this” is indeed obnoxious.

Jarleboy, HominyRhodes and Man at C&A like this.
  2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Hm. OK so by induction we have determined that there are fans for boring music. Who says we never get anything done here?

If that's true then negativity is built into any forum where music is the subject. It's in the DNA of any forum to let boring music be commented on, by a heterodox crowd. THere will be a ying and a yang in it. Of course I haven't explained how to separate boring from intersting in a universal definition. I'll work on that one.

Imagine boring music spoken of with only positivity though? It's like a sci fi movie.

Brian Lux likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I could have put it better, but this is what I meant. Of course, linking to another thread can lead to a load of other relevant posts and opinion. This is obviously a good thing.

Jarleboy and Stone Turntable like this.
  4. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I don't like Foghat, but you're right

Some people think they are superior and more sophisticated for dismissing classic rock (not my favourite genre btw) and listening modern hip hop

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The goal of the gorts isn't to create a community of Stepford men, it's to keep hostility at bay. Those negative threads attract the trolls and bring out the worst in people.

And vice-versa.

6. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Good points drad dog.

But how do we define boring? When Brian Eno's Music for Airports was installed in a few airports the reaction was very mixed. Some people HATED it and thought it was boring. I thought it was marvelous!

Grant likes this.
  7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

It's as thoughtful as you allow it to be. If they don't do the thinking, sometimes I get inspired to do it for them. The point is that even the most intellectually-impeded negative opinions can give you pause to think about the artist from an angle other than the one that is warmed by the direct rays of your pure, true fanlove for chosen idol and messiah. The negative opinions are part of the conversation. We need 'em. The negative opinions actually create a lot of the conversation here. Plus some of them are funny 'cuz they're so dumb . :)

D.D.

Jarleboy and Greg Gee like this.
  8. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

You would know.
    ;)

9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

My words were put to the test earlier this evening. My wife and I went to San Francisco to visit my step-daughter. We had dinner at a new good, basic Thai restaurant in the Castro District. The food was decent and reasonable but the music was a challenge for me- too loud (most is these days), digital (ditto), and kind of a combination of modern r&b/ rap/ hip hop. I told my step daughter about this thread and how this music was challenging my thinking. But I also pointed out that this music had a lot of energy and this IS, after all, The City, and look, those people are digging it and are happy! I had a hard time with the music but, what the hay, who am I to say it is bad music? These people were HAPPY (and some were even gay, ya know!? :) ).

So I passed my own test. And my step daughter, who is at an age where this kind of music is much more appreciated said, "It's not something I care for but I don't hate it. Why hate it?" Right on, baby.

ARK, Jarleboy, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Right on!

11. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

See ? Perfect example of how negativity, when successful, can potentially open up yet another line of conversation. Perhaps not in this particular instance mind you, but not every acorn grows a tree and not every baby is an Einstein and we have to keep the bigger picture in mind.

D.D.

Greg Gee likes this.
  12. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Because it's pretty easier to put music down than to elevate it to the heights it really deserves.

13. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Possibly Rosemary's baby in this instance....
    ;)

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I find that urbanites don't get as hung up on newer music as suburbanites or more rural folk. Even older urbanites dig the newer music.
    Where one lives and surrounds themselves with has an impact of what we like and regard as good or exciting.

Brian Lux likes this.
  15. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

It seems natural to diss mainstream music if ones tastes are not mainstream. It also seems very easy diss non-mainstream music if you like The Beatles. :)

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  16. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Who decides which music gets to be "elevated" to "heights it really deserves?"

17. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Yours truly

Stone Turntable likes this.
  18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

HA HA! :righton:

Rick Robson likes this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" ...and oh what heights we'll hit! !On with the show this is it! "

Rick Robson likes this.
  20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

It's not a binary choice.

Jarleboy and Greg Gee like this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Close the thread.

Rick Robson likes this.
  22. Carl Swanson

Not for everyone . . . therefore, not human nature.

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

This forum is chock full of negative people.

24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

No, it's the music that's lousy. There is some good music but not much over all.

25. Carl Swanson

Those two words save me a lot of wasted time.