Why so much interest in negative aspects of music here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

BINGO!!!

2. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

Everybody reads The Inferno. No one reads The Purgatorio or The Paradiso. The bad news is just more interesting. Good news? Not so much.

3. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I want to know what avoid.
    Look, I try to avoid saying " I hate this" or "You're wrong" or That band sucks" and such and try to point out what I like with songs, production, etc.. about albums that aren't my faves and I think most members do the same. I just ignore the really negative stuff and move on. Or, I'll try to make a reasoned argument why I believe different from a given comment. Rather than focus on the purely negative, I will try to put my comments in a more positive direction.
    If I'd join this forum as my twenty year old self, my input would sound a lot different than my 61 year old self. I try to be open minded, speak my piece, and try not to offend or be offended so quickly. Responsibity lies on both sides of any issue. But, persist in being negative? Well...

Jarleboy and CoachD like this.
  4. zither

zither Forum Resident

Q: "Is this the right place for an argument?"

A: "I've told you once"

5. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Because it can be funny.

Can you imagine how boring and lame it would be if everyone just discussed how great everything is and everyone just agreed?

keyse1, TS582, Murph and 5 others like this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" And different strokes for different folks and so on and so on and scooby-doo dooby do wah..."

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Knocking something without backing it up with some kind of reasoned argument as to why you think it's bad is sophomoric and a waste of time.
    That said, a well thought out quip can be fun. But one liners can get boring fast.

Jarleboy, Tristero, Greg Gee and 2 others like this.
  8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

" .. here I opened wide the door,
    darkness there and nothing more .. "

E.A. Poe

9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

You said it, I didn't.

plentyofjamjars67 and NaturalD like this.
  10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yeah it's interesting only here two people focus on the car crash rather than the millions of cars making it through the intersection fine only in this forum I wonder why

Jarleboy and MortSahlFan like this.
  11. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Sometimes some good can come of it. I just realized earlier this week that the album "Who Are You" is really not all that good, thanks to one of those ubiquitous threads about choosing the "worst" songs on the album... (as an aside, I know that it's not considered one of The Who's greatest works other than the title track but I first heard it as a teenager who was just getting into music 'seriously' and it sounded terrific to me 30+ years ago so I've maybe given it an automatic pass). But the thread made me listen carefully to a few songs from the album in order to provide a well thought out vote, and it really is not that good at all! I was truly surprised. So now I know that I don't have to listen to that album ever again in my lifetime. Thanks!

Earscape, keyse1, Jarleboy and 5 others like this.
  12. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Interesting. I do my best to avoid being negative, while at the same time trying to explain why I don't like a particular artist/band or why they don't appeal to me, if the subject comes up.

I mean, to give a direct example & description here, I honestly & completely hate Queen, to the point where they sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. To me their music is plastic, phony, & pretentious as hell, with a vein of overweening smugness running through it, & about as far removed from what I consider actual organic R&R as can be, while still using the same instruments.

That said, I'd never go into a Queen appreciation thread & post something like the above. What's the use? I'm not going to change others minds & I have no interest in attacking their likes.

It's much the same with the Beatles, albeit for different reasons & with the fact that I like some of their music a bit, & can tolerate some of the rest of it. I also freely acknowledge & appreciate their cultural impact, & their influence on countless bands & artists I do like. I just consider them to be overrated musically for my tastes, & that's a lot me, I admit it. What scant appeal they once had to me I outgrew decades ago.

I also aspire to be honest, & sometimes that may be perceived as being negative. It's not meant to be.

13. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I just LOVE bashing things I don't like, just like the grumpy Rick Wakeman in that TV-series - it's just great, an extra plus is that it pisses positive-hysteric people off so much :)

14. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Right, I get wanting to know what to avoid...that's why I'm here too! But the specific thread that has made the rounds here, actually I think it's been done a couple of different times, was basically asking "what's the WORST mastering ever?????" where people are COMPARING crappy masterings to find the absolute worst one....I just don't have time in my busy life for seeking out or worrying about the WORST of anything. If it's bad, it's bad. Good to know. But who really cares about the absolute worst? And also, if you really want to know if a particular mastering is good or bad, wouldn't it be much better to just USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION to find the good masterings of that particular title, using the name of the album or CD, instead of wading through a big long list of people's opinions on crummy WORST EVER masterings?

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

This topic is negative itself, ironically.

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I'm majorly torn about this post, because my heart goes out to the power of punk dissent and denunciatory rebelliousness as important and healthy. On the other hand most of the lazy negativity I see on the site tends to conform to popular herd opinion and consensus, with very little brave sticking out of necks and pushing against the status quo. Excessive negativity and general trolling can be submissive too.

17. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

If you love music, and consider yourself fairly well versed in a genre, its simply fun about both the good (e.g. - the Joni Mitchell album by album thread) and some of the not so good (there are many). For me, it's enjoyable to consider all of the above. I don't enjoy the snarky though!

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

So we can avoid them. Simple.

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That's beautiful mate

ARK, Jarleboy, MikeManaic61 and 4 others like this.
  20. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

negative is the 'flip side' of positive!

21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

A thread that inherently invites that which it claims to question. How delicious.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  22. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

It's a fair and interesting question to ponder though (IMO). I don't think I find it ironic even.

Greg Gee and Bluesman Mark like this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Or it would be a bloodbath lol

SirMarc likes this.
  24. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

For whatever reason, when I read this I had Anthony Hopkins voice in my head. That sounds like something he would say, doesn't it?

25. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

One doesn't exist without the other.

danasgoodstuff likes this.