Why weren't ANGEL as successful as KISS?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by healter skealter, Sep 21, 2021.

1. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal Thread Starter

"When in Rome..."

2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

silly is being kind...

O Don Piano likes this.
  3. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

The only Angel album I like is Sinful and it's basically the most un-Angel album of the bunch

4. darkmage

darkmage Through Doors of Moonlight

These bands don't seem comparable to me at all upon first listening to Angel, but this is my first listen and I've just now only made it through their first record. I was dimly aware of Angel back in the day as I recognize those album covers, which are pretty great! I really like Tower from the debut, but I was a huge Kiss fan during this time period (age 10-13 for me) and still think a lot of their tunes hold up well. While I remember the Angel album covers for their latter 70's material, Kiss was everywhere in print and on the radio back then. My sixth grade self had a killer Kiss t-shirt where the letters literally ****ing sparkled liked stage lights in the sun haha. Good memories! Thanks to the OP for getting me to listen to Angel now that I'm middle aged.

5. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I, too, own albums that have songwriting which I feel is great and yet those albums haven't sold as much as other albums. But the key part there is the "I". I'm only one vote in determining "great songwriting" when I purchase an album. And my idea of great songwriting certainly holds no more weight than millions at large. No album sells in significant quantities if people aren't casting a vote for the music (the songwriting).

I guess I have far more trust in buyers and their choices. At least personally speaking, I can say firsthand that I have never bought a single album where the music (songwriting) was the not the main reason. Marketing, cover art and other aesthetics are just a natural component in keeping an album in the public eye, but ultimately, no album sells in signicafant quantities (certainly not years and decades later) if people aren't voting for the songwriting. You can't repeatedly play "marketing or other aesthetics" on a turntable or on a CD player.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Terrapin Station likes this.
  6. healter skealter

That's the spirit! And thank you for your thanks!!

(Not a silly thread at all, is it? If we all thrived on humourless greyness, we'd join a Dostoyevsky forum, right?)

DME1061, Sear and darkmage like this.
  7. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

They came out at the wrong time. If their last studio album 'Sinful' had come out in the mid 80's they would have been a much bigger band. I love Angel and was lucky enough to see them open for Styx on 2 different tours and they were great live.

8. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Huge Angel fan here and same for New England. I saw New England in 1980 open for Kiss at Madison Square Garden and they were great.

Terrapin Station and thetman like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

1979 :D

10. Fromod

Fromod Forum Resident

I like Angel and saw them in concert in '78 around the time of White Hot. They were great in concert with the vanishing magic act and played all of their best songs. Why they weren't bigger is a good question. The song writing is kind of weak. I like around 3 or 4 songs per album. Not one album is good all the way through. KISS were better songwriters because they could write an album full of 3 minute memorable songs.

Pete Puma and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  11. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Somehow I must have heard Starz on the radio because I bought the singles of both Cherry Baby and Sing It, Shout It. Either that or I was just mesmerized by the logo because I knew nothing else about the band. Both singles were yellow vinyl too.

12. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I've always liked Angel. Lots of catchy songs. Have all their lps and not too long ago picked up the CD box set.

[​IMG]

13. healter skealter

Just played Sinful. This is a great album, probably my fav so far. I see what others mean about it being different to their earlier stuff, and that it could have been massive if it'd been released mid/late 80s. Brought Poison to mind a few times, but in a good way! Man, if those lunkheads could sell millions, Sinful would've been multi-platinum.

Interesting inner sleeve, on two counts: first, it says side two was recorded at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, with the Record Plant mobile. Didn't Kramer want to do similar with RARO? Maybe he did do it? Second, it could just be a case of self-aggrandisement arising from Short Man's Problem, but are they all really 6ft 6", apart from Wee Man in the middle (I have no idea who he is)? Or are they all maybe standing on foot-tall crates? I think we need to know...

14. Here's one from Angel that has a similarity to Led Zeppelin (from Helluva Band) -I would have ate this up back in 76-77 had I ever heard it on the radio, but I never heard Angel on the radio, or anywhere else, until this year.

Terrapin Station and carlwm like this.
  15. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Kiss had better songs and a great live show.

16. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Problem number 1:
    Imagine admitting to having that album cover in your collection.

[​IMG]

mx20, Dudley Morris and carlwm like this.
  18. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Never heard of them

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a great cover! :righton:

Terrapin Station and carrolls like this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Give 'em a listen. You might just like 'em.

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Horses for courses mate, horses for courses. :)

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Never heard of ANGEL till now.

Must not get any airplay.

23. healter skealter

As the proud owner of several Manowar albums, I really don't see the problem :biglaugh:

24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Is that an observation or a declaration?

25. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

So I got the self titled Angel album, and love it. Any recommendations for other albums of theirs and maybe say something about them?

carlwm likes this.