WiFi streamer recommendation for Roon, Spotify Connect

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bungo, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would like to set up a streamer/DAC/headphone amp combo next to my favorite comfy chair.

Focusing on the streamer for this thread, there are a bewildering number of options at almost every conceivable price point. I'm hoping that if I list my criteria, grouped by priority, that the collective wisdom of this forum can help me to narrow down the list of viable choices.

Target price is sub-$1000, could go higher if there's a device that can provide most/all of what I've listed below.

Must-have:
    • WiFi. Running an ethernet cable to this location would be awkward, and WiFi would also enable semi-portability, e.g., to take the system outside onto my patio.
    • Roon-ready, for some reasonable definition of "ready." Ideally a device listed as "Roon Tested" on the Roon partners page: Roon Labs: Partners , but practically speaking, any device that folks can confirm from first-hand experience to be Roon-compatible would be fine.
    • Supports Spotify Connect. As much as I love the lossless experience with Roon and Tidal (or Qobuz), Spotify still has the deeper catalog and best discovery features and playlists.
    Highly desirable:
    • Supports high-res streaming, for some reasonable definition of "high-res." Bonus points if it also supports MQA, as I'm currently preferring Tidal over Qobuz for use with Roon, due to the better catalog.
    • Decent built-in DAC so I don't immediately need to provide an external one, but also digital outputs so I can add an external DAC in the future.
    • Reasonably compact size/form factor
    Nice to have but not crucial:
    • Airplay 2
    • MQA
    • Support for Bluetooth headphones, preferably aptX or, even better, LDAC.
    Don't care about:
    • Controlling the streamer via its own app or display/UI, other than setting up WiFi, Roon and Spotify Connect. Will control via my laptop or tablet or phone.
    • Remote control
    • Built-in headphone jack/amp
    • Built-in signal processing of any kind, including volume control

Jonpd likes this.
  2. waaguirr

waaguirr Forum Resident

Does the Yamaha WXC50 for this category?

I’ve been looking at it for my streaming purposes.

Bungo likes this.
  3. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Bluesound Node 2i gets you almost everything you want and for half of your budget, it was a game changer for me. My only knock on it is that it does not have a usb output to use a separate DAC, only a coax and optical output.

SirMarc, Bungo and rodentdog like this.
  4. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Bluesound Node 2i, fits the bill perfectly.

Bungo likes this.
  5. Bungo

Thanks all, the Bluesound Node 2i does indeed look like it hits all of my "must have," "highly desirable," and "nice to have" criteria! And it's $500 under my budget, can't complain about that. It inches me closer to being able to justify (or rationalize) pulling the trigger on the Grado PS2000e that I'd dearly love to add to my collection. :D

rodentdog likes this.
  6. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

I have the node 2i as well but if you have that kind of budget might as well check the NAD C658.
    C 658 - NAD Electronics

It will have Dirac Room Correction as well via software update.

7. Bungo

Thanks, looks like this one is a bit beyond my preferred budget at $1500. Also, the dimensions (17 x 4 x 16) and weight (22 lbs) are larger than I would prefer for this headphone setup. But I will keep it in mind for when I finally get around to upgrading my main audio system's streamer; it's currently using a Sonos Connect which has served me well for nearly ten years.

Interesting that NAD and Bluesound are sister companies, which explains why the NAD is running the same BluOS (perhaps a different variant) as the Node 2i.

8. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Absolutely love my Auralic Aries G1 but it’s somewhat outside your budget. Sounds and looks gorgeous

9. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

The Aurilac Aries Mini has a lot of the features but is less expensive.

10. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Yep, Although it is discontinued so you would have to buy used

11. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I think a lot of dealers will still have stock, might even be some bargains.

12. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Not sure what stock levels are like over there but in the UK the Bluesound Node 2 can be had for £325 brand new as its discontinued, its rrp was £499.

I think the only thing it doesn't do is Airplay 2.

13. olson

olson Forum Resident

Did you decide on a streamer?

14. Bungo

I'll probably get the Bluesound Node 2i, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. As an alternative (or in addition) to a streamer, I'm also considering a USB DAC/amp for better portability.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I hope you've factored-into your plans, simply reading the various threads here or elsewhere, discussing why wi-fi isn't always the best answer, and who's recommending you take care of your ethernet needs first.

Wi-fi for streaming media, is like shopping for groceries at night only because there's less store management to kick you out for using your radio-controlled drone, instead of one of their handy shopping carts.

16. Bungo

Can you elaborate on this? I currently use Google WiFi for almost everything in my house, due to an inconveniently located wired router. I have experienced no problems with video or lossless audio streaming thus far, anywhere in the house or on the patio in my back yard. Granted, for audio I haven't done much high-res streaming so far, but 44.1/16 is reliable. Tidal MQA streaming to my laptop is also stable even though pointless/overkill without a DAC and wired headphones.

I don't even use a wired connection at work, and I do plenty of huge data transfers (and lossless music streaming) there as well.

17. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have 3 Bluesound devices. I use 4 Extollo 1500 powerline adapters. One at the router and one to each Bluesound. Love it. Mostly trouble free and Extollo customer service is great if you need it.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

19. etscott

etscott New Member

Keep in mind the C658 doesn't have a digital output - you are wedded to the built-in DAC. I would buy one if it had a digital out. This seems like an oversight to me, but NAD must know their target market better than I do.

20. Bungo

OP here, thought I would post an update to mention that I finally pulled the trigger on a Bluesound Node 2i. Have been enjoying it the past few days and it's working beautifully through both the BluOS app and Roon. I'm using it exclusively with the WiFi connection, in a headphone setup with an old Gilmore Lite amp and my (also newish) Audeze LCD-X headphones. So far so good! Would also consider adding another Node 2i in my main (speaker) system if and when my old Sonos Connect gives up the ghost.

rodentdog likes this.
  21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The Airplay functionality will come in handy if you ever decide to switch from Spotify to Apple Music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.