Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I’m not the only one who thinks that electric guitar part at the end of I’m Always In Love sounds like it was flown in from New Order’s Temptation? Interestingly, that chiming guitar part isn’t on the demo.

2. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

The riff of this sounds a lot like that on "I'm Always In Love".

3. jalexander

We’ll get there in a few weeks, but I’m not sure the band has ever come down from that level. It may be their peak, but they’re still at it. If anything, the major difference since that era is that the band now knows every song in the catalogue. How many bands can claim that?

As for earlier incarnations (including the one on Summerteeth), apart from Jeff’s addiction issues bringing some gigs down, they’ve always been killer live. Jay was a monster live in his own right, equally able to burn down the stage with a guitar and a Hammond organ.

RemyM, Rockford & Roll and Fortuleo like this.
  4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

"I can't believe they've gotten better" is something I tell myself every time I see them. The last show I saw, it was like Nels and Glenn were sharing a brain.

5. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"Pieholden Suite" must be one of the oddest entries in the Wilco catalog. First of all, the title. What the heck is "pieholden"? I feel like somebody should be offering me a nice slice of cherry pie a la mode. Second, "suite". This might be the shortest song bearing that word in the title ever. I think of songs that are at least 7 minutes long, and more likely 10+ when I think of "suites". I remember when I first brought the CD home back in 1999 seeing this title and thinking "oh, excellent...they're doing a long song" and then being disappointed to see that it was only 3:26.

However. This is a lovely little song that grows with repeated listens. It starts off in lullaby mode and then keeps shifting and changing. Unlike many of the other songs on the album, though, this one never feels bombastic or overbaked to me. The instrumentation is mostly organic, with minimal synth or mellotron until the end when they are employed simply to mimic orchestration. There's just a lovely Hammond organ bed anchoring the song. Then we get little splashes of classical-style acoustic guitar and banjo. Then we have horns!

The Beach Boys pastiche element is hard to escape and while I generally don't think that's a sound/style that Wilco pulls off very well, this isn't bad at all. The lyrics are absolutely lovely and have a sort of Zen to them. I wouldn't call this out as a career highlight or anything, but I do like it much better than a lot of the songs on this album we've discussed thus far and reminds me that my favorite part of Summerteeth is the three-song run we are right in the middle of now.

6. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I hear a bit of "Love Vigilantes" too. But either way — yeah, New Order.

jalexander likes this.
  7. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I'm a little surprised at the some of the indifference to "Pieholden Suite." To me, it's exquisite. It was one of my favorites from the beginning.

8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Yes, exactly. I think this is why I like "Pieholden Suite" so much more than "Can't Stand It", "She's A Jar", and "A Shot In The Arm" (as well as a few others we've yet to discuss). It feels more natural and warmer to me. In response to @Parachute Woman's shout out, while I do find much of this album cold, this is actually one of the exceptions for me. I think the lyrics are a part of it - the negativity of those other songs is largely absent here - but also sonically, this one doesn't have the shrill harshness of those other tracks. I find it warm and enveloping like a down comforter.

Lance LaSalle and jalexander like this.
  9. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I love "Thunderstorm" and The High Llamas. Great references!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  10. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

See above! :)

TL;DR? Here's my verdict: :righton:.

Lance LaSalle and Zeki like this.
  11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I am just amazed in how many songs they have in rotation
    Usually 40% of their material varies from night to night and plenty of deep cuts

Well worth seeing multiple shows a tour and their roadcase series is fabulous.

The 5 fire on all cylinders - hope they are back out on the road soon

Rockford & Roll, bonus and jalexander like this.
  12. Knox Harrington

Knox Harrington Forum Resident

Interesting take. Summerteeth always reminds me of the Midwest or even upstate New York. There's something very "wintery" about this album, nothing "summer" about it. At the same time, there is this heavy influence of British bands in the sound.

awsop, Fortuleo and robcar like this.
  13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

audiotom and jalexander like this.
  14. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Pieholden Suite"

An interesting piece, I can't help wonder that it might have been constructed out of unrelated ideas that they found a way to stitch together. Certainly Jay is all over this one. I'd say that it's more an exercise in production and arrangement than a conceptualized song in the usual sense. But I do enjoy listening to this, simply for the fascinating musical ideas running through it.

awsop, palisantrancho and Zeki like this.
  15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Pieholden Suite: another creative, interesting track where I feel I’m not sure if Jeff or the band really believes in what they are doing. It doesn’t feel band-invested - more like a studio exercise “look what we can do.”

I don’t think it’s a top 25 Wilco number. Maybe it’s 26.

awsop and frightwigwam like this.
  16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Wilco (The Song) sounds like The Velvets too.

17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Anyone have recommendations for great Summerteeth-era concert recordings?

18. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Thanks, Wilco (The Album) is terra incognita for me.

19. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next:

How to Fight Loneliness

One of my absolute favorites on the album and one of my absolute favorite Wilco songs period. This is extraordinary. On headphones, the acoustic guitars sound so clear and gorgeous and Jeff's voice is right in your ear. He isn't doing anything affected with his singing here. Just pure honesty. The lyrics on this song simply blow me away. I almost want to quote them in full.

How to fight loneliness
    Smile all the time
    Shine your teeth to meaningless
    And sharpen them with lies

As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression, this hits really hard. It reminds me of another all-time favorite lyric for me ('I fake it so real I am beyond fake' from Doll Parts by Hole). This too:

You laugh at every joke
    Drag your blanket blindly
    Fill your heart with smoke

Dragging the blanket has always felt like it both references a security blanket and the way you have to drag your depression around with you like a weight you carry. The piano solo from Jay is sensitive, tender, emotional. I love that it is just acoustic piano and not any kind of keyboard or synthesizer. It adds to the hard reality of this song. And then the fading "doo doos" in gentle chorus. Just smile all the time. Masterpiece. This is truly beautiful.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

How To Fight Loneliness: Tweedy/Bennett
    The very last outtake of the Wilco film shows the band (Glenn Kotche, taking the place of Ken Coomer, and with Leroy Bach at the piano) rehearsing How To Fight Loneliness in their Chicago loft. John Stirratt’s sitting while playing his bass, looking up at both Jeff and Jay. Jay plays a beautiful guitar solo...and that’s it.

The piano on the recorded track will touch your heart, or at least it does mine. I love this track. “Smile all the time...” A tremendous song.

21. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

As much as I absolutely love every single song on this LP so far (and thereafter), I can hear some of the criticism about a few tracks. I see how some can sound artificial or calculated. I can hear the theory and concept behind some songs, sometimes in the lyrics when they try a bit too hard to romanticize pain, drugs and abuse, sometimes in the music, when the layers of production and/or nods, winks and references threaten to bury the songs.

And then, there’s How to Fight Loneliness, and all these little doubts disappear.

Nothing contrived or affected here, they’re not trying to achieve a sound or emulate a style, not crafting any emotions, it’s just a sublime song, plain and simple, everything about it is heartfelt, beautiful, restrained, tender, funny, sad and warm. The singing is breathtaking, drums, organ, harmonies, bass (that bass line!), piano (that piano solo !), the backward guitars, every detail falls into place to make it one of the almighty Wilco classics. No matter how many films and tv shows will use it, it won’t ever be worn out.

A guy named Jeff Tweedy later said that thanks to music, you’re not alone. That’s exactly what I feel about How to Fight Loneliness : the song itself is the answer to the question asked by its title.

AmosM, Doctorwu, dirkster and 11 others like this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Pieholden suite
    Somehow I missed yesterday....
    I love the intro, the measured thoughtful delivery.
    The change up works nicely, and gives it a bit of pop.
    Then we get that cool instrumental arrangement with the horns.....
    I like this, it seems like a nod of the head to the Beach Boys and Beatles, and although I don't really find it to be cold, I do find it to be pointedly trying to capture a particular era of music.....
    It is almost like it is going backwards in time while it is playing....
    Opening very Wilco, then sliding in a little bouncy pop, and then we get that sixties ..... kind of throwback thing.
    It isn't a favourite, but I do like it.

23. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

They sound like a bossa nova combo.
    Lovely organ (it isn’t a mellotron is it?), with the xylophone and a keyboard making a beatlesque sound of a tape playing backwards (is this the mellotron?).
    On top is Jeff’s captivating voice.

How do you feel this song comes across? Bitter, depressed, cynical, ironic?
    Jeff leaves it at the listener to choose from all these and probably many more.

He’s great at mingling darkness with the light of Irony.
    The song title is like the title of one of those selfhelp books.
    But the lyrics won’t help you, it’s advice is more counterproductive than helpful.
    Like it’s predescessor Pieholden Suite, all the lyrics have been sung after the first half.
    All that rests is the replication of the ‘Just smiiiiile all the time’ line.

One of my favorite songs of the album.

24. jalexander

This is one song on the album I find too layered. The wandering backwards guitar starts detracting from the beautiful song I see earth. When I saw that rehearsal version it clicked for me. Love the harmonies.

mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  25. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Beautiful. And so true.

Fortuleo likes this.