Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Did somebody say soft rock?

Bill Diercks likes this.
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

You Are My Face: begins in a Simon & Garfunkel-ish manner with piano; a gentle song that then accelerates and segues into Television guitar. My first playlist song from the album, this one is a keeper.

3. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Either way, he said ? Well, I don’t know about the sun, but the music will definitely shine today !! A first listen favorite of mine, You Are My Face has an extraordinary intricate lyrics/music structure : starting with the monotonous everyday life feel of the opening melody, followed by the explosion during the instrumental break and the Marvin Gaye-Otis Redding bridge, which works as a kind of “eureka moment” maybe a psychoanalytical breakthrough ; then back to the opening melody, but from a different, maybe older, almost philosophical perspective. You can shake the everyday life with a moment of self-realization, but then you’ll still have to live it… Structurally, it reminds me of Harry's House /Centerpiece, by our hostess avatar, even if it’s less narrative and more cryptic. This is the emotional/thematic center of the whole Sky Blue Sky enterprise, and one of Wilco’s most fully realized work, because it is a conceptual piece without calling attention to being a conceptual piece.
    The verse melody is almost Suzanne by Leonard Cohen with more than just a touch of Wings’ London Town for the soft rock vibe (check it if you don’t believe me !). But of course, it’s the bridge that makes the song, and especially Jeff’s electrifying singing. Once again, I agree with our boss : the way his voice breaks on “overwrote” surely is one of his greatest moments as a rock singer, devastating like a Van Morrison flash of pure feeling and inspiration. But nothing here is left to chance : whenever they play it live, Jeff does his best to render it like on the record with extreme precision, down to the smallest phrasing detail. I’ve watched all of the Youtube versions, and he nails it every time.
    This version above is fantastic, if only for the superb nudie suits, which we all love, don’t we? In all versions, my favorite part is always when Jeff lets his guitar hanging to hold the microphone, because himself seems to live it like a glorious rock & roll moment.
    This is easily the best song for me on the LP. Well maybe not easily, we’ll see what the next ten days’ dive brings to the table. But I see it as one of the great Wilco 2.0 masterpieces.

4. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

You Are My Face is a superb track, and the perfect song to follow Either Way. It's a showcase for the new version of the band starting quietly and exploding. It seems to explore alienation and the narrator questions his life. It's got some classic lines - "our stories fit into phones" and "we're not sure we're not along" are both classic Jeff-isms. And that melody! Call it what you want, but I'm glad Jeff explored this music as he approached middle age.

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

You are my face
    We have a return to a slight country twist here. We have a nice pulsing guitar, joined by the piano.
    I really like the layered vocals here, i reckon they sound great.

Then we get this big change, and with a 1,2 punch we move into this bouncy section, and Nels shows a little more edge on his little lead in guitar.
    I like the musical arrangement and the vocal phrasing and melody really work well for me.

Then we move into a cool variation of the opening section.

I am not really sure where the lyrics are going, and I kind of assume they are a sort of identity crisis type thing.... but it doesn't really matter to me, in this song, they just sound right, in spite of my inability to fathom any precise meaning from them.

The end just sort of just drifts away.

I can't put my finger on it particularly, but I just really like this track.

robcar, jalexander, rancher and 5 others like this.
  6. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

You Are My Face- This sounds most like a continuation of the soulful sounds that started to take shape on A Ghost Is Born. Easily my favorite song when the album came out, but these days I have a few favorites. Even the fuzzy lead guitar break sounds very much like Jeff's playing on Ghost. I'm not sure who played it on record, but either it was Jeff or Nels is playing like Jeff. John lays down another killer bass line. So far this isn't sounding much different from previous Wilco records. A great vocal and melody by Jeff, especially when it breaks into the "I have no idea" part. I love watching him sing this part live. Nicely done! 5/5

7. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Best song on the album, and one of my go-to Wilco tracks. When I first heard it, "Goodbye Blue Sky" by Pink Floyd immediately came to mind. Later on, well, you can't listen to "Suzanne" by Leonard Cohen without hearing some similarity. My favorite parts of the album are where bursts of electric guitar "intrude" on the song, always shifting the song into a different direction. I can also hear how something like Neil Young's "Broken Arrow" plays into the feel, the shifting of gears, within a song and returning to musical themes, usually to the more gentle intro.

The first few tracks on the album establish the new direction, a statement of purpose.

8. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Favourite bit of that video is when they crank it up around 1:40 and a bbc technician comes running out of nowhere to see what the hell’s going on.

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’ve been looking through the packaging again (of the cd) and it is really well done. Some real money was put into this.

Where does the crow/raven imagery come from? A lyric?

10. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

You Are My Face - now this is a truly great Wilco track. Loved it from first listen and still do. Great instrumentation and guitar feel!!

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is a significant Cline co-writing credit. 25%. Cline is the only ASCAP here. Interesting alternate titles!
    YOU ARE MY FACETotal Current ASCAP Share: 25%
    ISWC: T0730797906
    Work ID: 550832376
    Writers
    ASCAP controls 12.5% PRO IPI
    Contact Info ASCAP 334206791
    Additional Non-ASCAP Publishers
    Alternate Titles
    COMMERCIAL VOLKSWAGONCOMMERCIAL: VOLKSWAGONSOMETIMES WHEN YOU RE TOGETHER (VOLKSWAGEN)VALET (VOLKSWAGEN)(5/18/07 - 12/31/07)VOLKSWAGEN (SOMETIMES WHEN YOU RE TOGETHERVOLKSWAGEN (VALET)(5/18/07 - 12/31/07)WVBJ 70159 (VOLKSWAGEN)(5/18/07 - 12/31/07)

12. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"You Are My Face" is another strong song, despite the lyrics. The song begins and ends with a gorgeous, pastoral section, which bookends the middle part with its angular guitar lines and unconventional rhythm. Most of this song's appeal for me lies in the music and its shifting patterns. Unfortunately, the lyrics are another example of Tweedy's random wordplay and while a couple of lines resonate here and there, overall the words are rather impenetrable to outsiders. Special praise for Tweedy's vocals here. "You Are My Face" isn't as amazing as "Either Way", but it does show that this is still Wilco and that unpredictability is the only thing you can count on.

13. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

SBS was my introduction into Wilco. I'd come on the back of reading a recommendation from Neil Finn. Wasnt massively impressed initially with the later performance (I've no idea why) but I got the CD as a Xmas present and was blown away. The two opening songs are beautiful.

14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

True. This one easily could've fit on Ghost. Jeff starts out on a gentle, flowing ramble, interrupted and offset by the loud, crashing guitar part that signals a shift to a completely different middle section--not only louder, but a faster tempo, new melody/rhythm, and Jeff's vocal more impassioned and strained--before finally returning to the quiet, intimate Part A, ending with just a slight bit of distortion. All very familiar Wilco bag of tricks.

I don't think it would've been a highlight of previous Wilco albums, although the primary melody has a nice, soothing lullabye quality, but here it works well in its place. In the opener, Jeff says (paraphrasing), "Whatever will be, will be; the future is not ours to see...." Here, he looks back on his childhood, family stuck in "tight lines of ordinary beehives," slammed doors, stultifying stagnation, no trust. He believes in moving forward, but still all of his plans have been upended, everybody feels alone, and he doesn't even know who he is, really. What is the answer? Thankfully, at least there is the phone. We can try to communicate. And then the next song, "Impossible Germany," adds to that favorite Tweedy theme.

15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I just listened to "Either Way," and my immediate thought was "Benmont Tench!" If you know what I mean. :D

"Your Are My Face" almost sounds like a sequel to "Either Way," and is fairly epic for a mere 4:39.

16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I get what you mean about the organ and Benmont. Maybe another reason I love Sky Blue Sky? A Heartbreakers vibe. I adore TP and the Heartbreakers.

17. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Spoiler alert: I’m going to be pretty positive about this album.

That said, I think one of the musical crutches of this early phase of Wilco 2.0 is the frequent use of piano + Hammond organ + Rhodes or Wurlitzer. It’s a great, classic sound, and it fits very well with Jeff’s desire to just play some motherf******g songs (as he says on the accompanying DVD). However, there’s only so far you can go with that sound imo.

With Tom Petty, for example, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a song of his I didn’t enjoy, but there’s only so much of his work I can take before I start to bore. Even with production differences over the years, it’s still generally the same formula. And while that piano/organ/Wurlitzer combo is a tried and true formula, it can be limiting. I’m glad Mikael got back to loops and trippy stuff after this album.

But to return to today’s song, Face is awesome. Another one that lulls you in, until it explodes with that middle section. An awesome solo that is melodic and noisy all at once. Beautiful harmonies. Oh, and we’re two for two with the piano+organ combo.

18. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Busy day tomorrow and a little hesitancy about Impossible Germany. I come from a progressive and jam music set rather than pure alt-country or Americana, but ... hmm

I know a lot of you revere it as Nels' Wilco jam ... well, let's see what the faithful say:cool:

19. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

perfectly said!!

wavethatflag and jalexander like this.
  20. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Kicking Television

[​IMG]

I've realized now that I haven't listened to this album much after I first picked it up, so this is a nice way to revisit it.

It's surprisingly good on a number of levels. Sound quality is very respectable for a live album of this type; there's a nice sense of atmosphere to it and all the instrumentation comes across clean and clear. I like the collection of songs here and the performances are all top notch. "One by One" and "Airline To Heaven" were unexpected favourites, and the version of "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" is also a highlight. But I'd say that these are all great versions of these songs, not a dud in the bunch.

And just for the record, I would put myself in the pro-Nels Cline camp. I think he's another great addition to the band and I believe that he also offers up a new and interesting dimension to the band.

21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Impossible Germany

Jeff Tweedy: vocals, electric guitar
    John Stirratt: bass
    Glenn Kotche: drums, percussion
    Mikael Jorgensen: piano, Hammond A100 organ
    Nels Cline: lead electric guitar
    Pat Sansone: electric guitar

I will admit to being somewhat surprised to see a few people in the thread so far imply that they will be offering dissenting opinions on 'Impossible Germany.' As usual, I can only speak from my own heart. I think this is one of the most amazing songs ever recorded. I hold it up as not just one of the greatest songs Wilco has ever recorded, but simply one of the best things in my entire collection. It is easily the equal of anything from any of the great 'classic' bands. If you'll remember, I have never seen Wilco live so I have no experiences with live versions of this song beyond YouTube. This thread is the first major interacting I have done with other Wilco fans in my entire life as a fan. I don't think of this song (or any) as overplayed or overpraised. My only experiences with it are the times when I have played it for myself. And, to me, Impossible Germany is perfection.

I'm not really a 'guitarists' fan. I love a lot of guitarists, but I favor those who play with emotion, tell stories with their playing and who have tones and sounds that are instantly recognizable and suit the music. I'm not a fan of guitar histrionics for the sake of it and in fact I often get very bored during lengthy diddle-doodle guitar solos. This song is a great reflection of the kind of guitar playing I love. I think Nels' work here (with Jeff and Pat supporting) is superlative and genius. This guitar solo can make me cry. It can lift me up. It is one of the most emotionally compelling solos I've ever heard. I can only compare it to something like Steve Hackett's tour de force solo on 'Firth of Fifth' by Genesis. Again--not flashy, but all about the way it feels and the way it fits into the song. I think it is absolutely insanely beautiful. I've listened to it I have no idea how many times and it still raises the hairs on my neck. I had quite a crummy day yesterday and I listened to this in the dark before bed and it touched me right on the heart. And again this morning as I write this.

And it's not just the solo. I love the chiming, luminous riff. I love the melody and the lyrics--all about trying to breakthrough and communicate honestly (using enemies during WWII as metaphors for those from whom we are separated by impossible distances). The key line:

Nothing more important
    Than to know someone's listening

To feel heard and understood and validated...it is so incredibly important. And then the solo feels like a musical expression of that longing for understanding.

For me, this is musical perfection and it exists in my special personal top favorite Wilco songs lists along with Sunken Treasure, A Shot in the Arm, Muzzle of Bees and a few others. And that's really a special personal place in my soul and heart where I file away the music that matters to me most.

22. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Impossible Germany

“Hey, let’s write a song with an Allman Brothers style guitar solo but with abstract poetry for lyrics”

Seriously, the guitar solo in this song reminds me of “Blue Sky” by the Allman Brothers from their Eat A Peach album. If you’re not familiar with that song, then give it a listen. That old song is good but nothing super-special, with its lyrics “you’re my blue sky, you’re my sunny day” setting a nice feel-good tone from a lover to his partner, but then the guitar solo starts and you notice it’s pretty good. And then after a while you notice the guitar solo is still going, and it’s beyond pretty good. It’s epic. That’s how Impossible Germany hit me this week. I don’t think I’d ever heard the song but a couple times in passing, but this week I heard the song.

The lyrics aren’t really that abstract once you get past the Germany and Japan bit. By the time you get to the end, Jeff is singing:

“This is what love is for
    To be out of place
    Gorgeous and alone
    Face to face

With no larger problems
    That need to be erased
    Nothing more important
    Than to know someone's listening
    Now, I know you'll be listening“

When you get right down to it, we all just want to be alone face-to-face with someone who is listening - right? Everything else is just noise and decoration.

This song is a real stunner.

23. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I’m not crazy about the song myself, but I've always liked it. Live, it’s a great highlight, and I’m all in favor of Wilco having “classic” showstoppers. I enjoy the solo(s), even though like @jalexander, some Pat Sansone rock poses don’t impress me much (somebody should tell him). It's a beautifully written solo, played with emotion and I'm 100% with you, Miss PW, that it's nowhere near "guitar histrionics" (and I love that First of Fifth comparison !). The studio take is mellower, smoother, it’s almost another one of their mid-tempo ballads especially when the soloing start, on a very laid-back groove. The verse melody and chords are extremely pretty and delicate, which never fails to surprise me whenever I listen to it. Still, for all its seductions, I can’t help but thinking that it’s an immensely overrated track. I''ll be happy to admit that my relative indifference towards it has a lot to do with what I see as an exaggerated crowd infatuation for it and for a "guitar gods" appreciation of Wilco. In other words, it's not the song's fault ! It's just that… I don’t know, I can think of many overlooked tunes that would be well deserving of the same affection. Sometimes I go see Wilco live and I wish they'd play I'll Fight or, yes, What Light instead…

Interestingly, Jeff tried to promote Sky Blue Sky with What Light as a single and statement, only to be disavowed by the bulk of the fanbase, who decided they much prefer the likes of Impossible Germany and Side with the Seeds. He was clever enough to embrace it instead of fighting it which, for such a contrarian personality, must’ve been quite testing. But let’s not forget Wilco is a band with no hits. So I guess you don’t get much choice but to shut up and play the fan favorites !

I’ve just looked at the Youtube comments on this song, and it’s hilarious how many influences are brought up. Television, Thin Lizzy, Steely Dan, but also Lennon, Allman Bros, Randy California, Jefferson Starship, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Lovin’ Spoonful… all mostly accurate, all very different, all very Wilco !

mark winstanley, robcar, trd and 8 others like this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Well, I’m going to disappoint @Parachute Woman but this is what I wrote yesterday and I’ll stick with it:

Impossible Germany:
    Well-crafted, most certainly, but off-the-rails in terms of Wilco for me. This certainly isn’t The World Record Players touring Japan (with Choo Choo Charlie left behind in Florida). This track is all polish and no grit. If I disassociate the Wilco brand from it, okay. Good song!

I happened to notice that all of the songs that I picked for my playlist were not ‘starred’ (the star indicating, I think, that it is one of the top three streamed songs on Apple). Usually my choices are right in line with the pack but not this time.

25. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

For a long time, the song didn't do much for me. I'd see people routinely carrying on over its greatness and not quite get it.

A strange thing happened much later. I started listening to a band called The War on Drugs, who I can only describe as 80s Bob Dylan fronting 80s Fleetwood Mac. When I doubled back on "Impossible Germany," it made a lot more sense. I would have figured with my 70s background, this track would have clicked immediately with that understated, mellow groove. But it took awhile: