DCC Archive Will 78s Ever Come Back?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jligon, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jligon

jligon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up a perfect Victor VV-100 this year and I'd love to hear something other than Harry James on it. Most of the good Country & Western, Blues, R& B, and mid-50's Rock discs demand a pretty high price tag.
    Why can't someone issue some 78 releases? I'd love to hear Captain Beefheart's Bat Chain Puller on my Victrola. :)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Or some Who 78's. Talk about extra dynamic range!

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Any Al Dexter 78 will definitely be a treat for country 78 collectors. Lots of great western swing on them plus they are always on eBay for fairly inexpensive amounts of money, especially "Pistol Packin' Mama/Rosalita." For those who don't have a turntable that plays 78's, I recommend the CD "Pistol Packin' Mama" on the ASV Living Era label in the UK that can be bought very readily in stores, if they don't have it in stock, you can special order them which does have the majority of his top 40 hits including the 78 mentioned with its A side and B side.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good point, Bradley: 78 RPM turntables are really hard to find! Although I did see a used Thorens recently from the very early '60's that plays 16 / 33 / 45 / 78 RPM records. It came out of a console type player / stereo console / furnature type thing. I'd have to build my own base / stand / thingie.

I'm thinking about it.

But where would I find 78 RPM records?? :confused:

5. Steve Hoffman

People, new 78 RPM turntables are being made, and they are wonderful (and cheap, compared to audiophile turntables).

Go here:
    http://www.78rpm.com/

Scroll down and click on "Nauck's Audio Department". Then scroll to "Turntables".

Bingo. Great players, pretty darn cheap. In fact they play all other speeds, too.

As to finding records, Kurt has auctions, but his stuff can be very pricy.

Better to go to estate sales, garage sales, and Goodwill stores. Many, many 78 records out there! Some 78's sound so fantastic, you won't believe your ears. I mean, think about it: 78's were recorded "direct to disc", and play at a whopping 78 rev's per minute. That's fast. Many are truly audiophile quality....

Good luck. ;)

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Wow, this is neato Steve. They look like mid 80's Gemini & Technics turntables that have been modded a bit. Nice idea!

7. BradOlson

Gemini does make 2 turntables at 78rpm as well as 33 1/3 and 45rpm but they are both high end models so for 78 collectors needing a new turntable, 78rpm.com has the best deals just like Steve has noted but it's best to look for used turntables that do play 78's.

8. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, Bradley!

I found a German made ELAC/Miracord turntable from the 1970's for 5 dollars at a garage sale, and I've been using it for 8 years. I put a cheap (but great sounding) Shure M44E cartridge with the Shure green 78 RPM replacement stylus in it and let her rip!

9. Angel

Angel New Member

My Dad has one of those. Has chrome square push buttons to tell the tone arm what size record to aim for, right?

My Dad's Sun 78 record of Carl Perkins "Boppin' The Blues" sounds so much better than any 45, LP or CD version we have ever heard. Why is that?

10. Steve Hoffman

Angel, yes, you are describing the ELAC/Miracord turntable. Hard to miss. It has that interesting early 1960's German design. I've seen Grundig tape recorders from that era that had the same look.

"Boppin' The Blues" by Carl Perkins on Sun. 1956, right?

That was actually the first Sun record I ever heard, being described as such. Sure, I heard Jerry Lee and Elvis, but never Carl Perkins here in LA.

I was driving to Bob's Big Boy on Van Nuys Blvd. (the Bob's that the cruisers used to hang out in during the 1970;s. I had the radio tuned to a progressive rock station here in LA called KMET. The jock, Jimmy Rabbit, played "Boppin' The Blues" and I almost had to pull over to the side of the road I was so jazzed. I sat in the car and waited for Rabbit to back announce, so I could find out who and what that was.

A long time ago, but when I tried to find the song back then, the record wasn't even in print. This was way before the Sun stuff began to be reissued. So, I found it on a Sun 78 in one of those 78 RPM record auctions. Paid five bucks (a lot of dough for me back then...)

The 78 record does sound good. The actual tape is kind of dull and thumpy. It sounds to me like the 78 was cut using an optical limiter, a Pultec EQ, punching up the upper midrange, and cut with that funky Sun Records cutter head. Must have had 10 watts on a good day. But that underpowered cutting amp is one of the reasons the Sun 78's sound sooooo much better than later versions. The "clipping" of the tube electronics in the lathe made for a neat tubey sound, totally impossible to duplicate....

Sorry for the length of the post, but I was remembering the good old days. Sigh. :D

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

YIKES!!!! Sun records get me mooooving - any more neato reasons why most Sun reissues in any format just never seem to have that throb that spells s-e-x??? Best Sun playback I ever heard was Whole Lotta Shakin' spun on a 78 heard over a car AM radio (1979 Nova, the kind that looked like it was going down the road at an angle)...

12. BradOlson

Steve, great story on finding a good used working vintage turntable at a garage sale that plays 78's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.