Will remixing the Beatles’ catalogue keep their music relevant in the coming years?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the goal is too erase the original Beatles American albums... and have Giles further continue destroying the original UK Stereo mixes as well Monoizing everything...

kiddo4 likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Remixes of all of their studio albums would be interesting, but they (Giles or whoever) should make it like the Yellow Submarine Songtrack's content but lesser compressed.
    Though I can't imagine remixes for the first few albums. Demixing 2-track tapes as on Please Please Me wouldn't always sound good, see the Beach Boys' demix tracks.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

He should just avoid the brickwalling sound.

Gila and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

Indubitably...

5. Michael

NO, he should be fired! LOL...

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Seriously, he did a good job with the Love remix album. The final mastering stage (nowadays) is just the problem.

DK Pete, Gila and Michael like this.
  7. Michael

yea, Gilesfied remixes of the first few...MONO....Oh wait we already have those....: )

8. Michael

I can't stand his work...Sorry, but I do respect your opinion my friend.; )

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay, then let's hire that guy who made the remixes on the Yellow Submarine Songtrack.

Michael likes this.
  10. trd

trd Forum Resident

No one cares about, or even notices, the mix of any music outside of a small group of audio nerds.

As to whether or not the Beatles will be relevant, I’d like to know the definition of relevant in this context before answering.

Klassik, Bemagnus and Gila like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

5.1, please.^^

12. Michael

or Steven Wilson who stays true to the original Stereo mixes...ala Jethro Tull: Aqualung & Benefit...

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The name is familiar. I think we can trust him.

boggs and Michael like this.
  14. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I agree wholeheartedly. In my opinion neither Giles Martin nor Sam Okell should be allowed anywhere near a mixing desk.

Wugged and Michael like this.
  15. Michael

yes, too bad for us!

16. Michael

yes, he does fine work. BUT, I am not a fan of remixes. But if they have to I'd say he's the least offensive!

17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think the new mix of Sergeant Pepper sounds gorgeous and is made with deep respect and care. If that could be used on other Beatles albums I personally have no problem with that.
    But the main reason that will or will not let the Beatles legazy live on has nothing to do with that. That has only to do with the power of the songs. Of course they will be packaged differently in the future-guess that can be said about Sinatra, Lois Armstrong, Bille Holiday, Mozart or Bach to.
    Nothing to worry about

bherbert and mrzpliff like this.
  18. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I’m a kid (18) from today who wants new mixes.

Chris DeVoe, Digu and ToneLa like this.
  19. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

i had a 15-year old passenger and a 22 year old in my car for 6 hours 2 weeks ago (carpooling on my way back from holiday).

We played a musical game in the car, each of us would select a song in alphabetical order and we would listen to it, this would make us discover new music (we reached the w letter, so that makes 69 songs).

They selected a few beatles songs, one of them even said : "it's incredible those 50 year-old songs are still listened to, while most of today's music is forgotten within a few weeks".

They like most of the beatles songs.

So from my experience, the Beatles will still be relevant in the years to come.

20. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Remixing is irrelevant !

jon9091 likes this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Disagree..he *has* made some mis-steps but I don't think he's nearly as bad as some say. He did a beautiful job on L O V E; the remixes of ADITL and AYNIL, Something and Come Together are incredible. For the most part, I think he did a very good job with the "1" remixes in terms of definition, clarity and stereo imaging. Not all the songs are "perfect" but with a catalog such as that of The Beatles, I dare say it's "fun" for people to nitpick and find fault. For the longest time, I swore by Peter Cobbin's remixes but in going back to those, I now find things I don't like with *them* as well. If you're a serious music fanatic, and especially of the particular artist in question, you'll never be totally satisfied.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There's actually just one thing i cringed at with the L O V E remixes....doubling up on the "allright" at the end of Revolution was very hokey and corny, I thought. The overall remix of the track was great till he got to that. I would hope he never does anything like that to any proper remix releases to come.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Once us "living memory" fans move on, I'm pretty sure The Beatles will continue to appeal with comps and remixing. The material is too strong to ever become irrelevant.

I think the canon itself may struggle to stay in circulation. It certainly isn't important to my kids. They like the comps, and they like music videos, always viewed on their phones, usually with ear buds on. All of it in the cloud.

I think there will come a point where mashups become more common - can you say "duets"?

Which is why I don't understand not emptying the vaults now, while there is still a market for it.

tmoore likes this.
  24. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Completely agree with this statement. There's a sweet spot timewise for doing this and I think it is very soon, given our ages (e.g., I have no firsthand memories of them being a 4-person group, and I'm nearing my 51st birthday).

25. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

You know somethin' about Satchmo the rest of us don't????:eek:

oxenholme likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.