Will sanctions be the end of the tube resurgence?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BayouTiger, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I can see hoards of audiophiles up on stationary bikes peddling madly generating enough electricity to power their music.

2. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Thank goodness that my speakers are sensitive enough to be run from a pocket transistor radio if worst comes to worst.

TimB and Khorn like this.
  3. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Someone will start a thread- "post pictures of your post apocalypse kit" & "what are the final three albums you plan to listen to before it all goes to ****?"

4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

The global razor market size to be valued at USD 13.0 billion by 2025 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.5% during the forecast period. The market is fueled by several factors, predominantly by growing focus on men's grooming and rising awareness among consumers related to personal hygiene.

Global vacuum tube market? No one appears to keep those stats giving you idea of how very small the market is, not a very apt comparison in my book.

Lowrider75 and Khorn like this.
  5. Khorn

I think when push comes to shove an ant could generate enough electrical power to drive my speakers but of course I prefer an elephant (although an extremely dainty one at that).

Ampexed and jonwoody like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Availability is much better for the tubes I use.
    I think Upscale has a good relationship with New Sensor. Upscale doesn't carry Chinese tubes, as far as I know. They seem to be getting tubes in stock from Russia. At least tubes are coming in and it's not a complete shut down.
    I'm sure tariffs are a big part of it, but I also sense a bit of price gouging.

I have a spare set of tubes for my equipment. A set of KT120s for my amp would run me around $900.00 One spare set is enough.

SandAndGlass, Khorn and jonwoody like this.
  7. Khorn

I don’t know but one cut would have to be The Eagles “Take it to the Limit”

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Smart boy...

I have tubes because I prefer tubes. Though I only use tubes on my high sensitivity horn speakers and Zu's.

As I commented, most of us already have back-ups. Why wouldn't we? But back before I retired and had the audio room set up, in addition to spare tubes, I had plenty of spare tube amps. I seem to recall a dozen.

Still a good deal of us have SS amps to fall back on. It is the smart thing to do when owning tube amps which require servicing more often than SS amps. Still, many use tube amps only seasonally and probably a majority used SS before they moved on to tubes.

Still, there are nice SS amps out there. I have a 50-Watt Electrocompaniet that I use during the day, when I don't want to run the expensive tubes.

My post was addressing the current situation. Regardless of how precious I deem tubes, I have no intention to be gouged. As specially if there isn't an actual shortage. I have absolutely no intention of paying $800 for a quad of tubes worth half that price (or less).

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have a backup SS amp. It does a respectable job. NOT for use seasonally, emergency only. I live in the north, so there are only a couple of months that get hot, especially in the evening.

jonwoody likes this.
  10. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

And I thought I was a hoarder ! :)

I never had back up tubes. My tubes would last a long time and when their time was up, I just bought replacements. I was never aware of any shortages in the 20 years I owned my amps, so didn't put much thought in to it. This is the first time I've had back ups.

As to spare amps: I actually just sold my spare tube amp, an updated Eico HF81. I have been shedding all the gear that I've had "Just in case" that I never really used, and the Eico wasn't really getting used enough to justify having it around (and I could put the money towards something else).

I actually have had a spare SS amp over the years (though not now), and one time when my CJ amps needed repair and I didn't have the money I used the SS integrated (Harman Kardon) amp. It sounded very good, but I found myself listening less and less over time. Just didn't have the "I have to stay seated in front of this listening" effect. My deliberate music listening petered out so much I figured I must have lost interest in high end audio. So I figured maybe it was time to start selling stuff. I got my CJ tube amps fixed in order to sell them. But once fixed I put them in the system just to make sure they were working fine before listing them. Well...BOOM!...that magic was back! The system sounded organic again, rich, textured, live, all the characteristics that I have loved. That first night I couldn't tear myself away from listening. And the next. And the next. Well, that told me something: I wasn't going to let these amps out of my system any time soon!

I've been enthusiastically back in to two channel ever since that time.

SandAndGlass and TimB like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

I was born in the middle 50's. I started getting into stereo in the mid to late 60's. During the early part of my life, all we had was tubes. But from my first real stereo forward, everything thing was SS from then on. Even McIntosh stopped manufacturing tube amps in the early 70's.

When I was sixteen, I had a pair of Altec A7’s built for me. I have owned different Altec and Klipsch speakers throughout my life, but only used them with SS amplifiers.

Prior to 2011, when I started getting back into stereo, I had been completely away for close to two decades, except for doing some HT.

Strangely enough, it was listening to some digital music through cheap earbuds that lured me back into the fold. I had hated digital music with a passion.

I had started back with no particular objectives, very basic setup with $200 each Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers, but I did buy a refurbished Peachtree Nova.

In 2013, I happened upon a pair of A7's on eBay that had been refurbished, that I bought. Shortly afterward, after reading about the resurgence of tubes, I bought a pair of Rogue M-120 KT88 monoblock's from eBay.

When I first hooked them up to the Altec’s, I was flabbergasted! Here I was, for my entire audio lifetime, listening to Altec’s with SS amps.

The tube thing was as big as a revelation as when I first connected my original A7's, fifty years ago.

I actually began buying extra amps for back up purposes more than anything else. But I was curious about the sound of other tube amps.

But I also wanted to cut down my expenditures on tubes, because I was listening to them 24/7. I could do this because of the 190 dB. sensitivity that the A7's have.

I was myself, that engrossed in tubes on my Altec's, which are pretty tricked out! My old SS amplifiers just didn't do it for me and the Altec’s! I didn't want to be caught tubeless!

After working with some vintage integrated's with EL84's and medium power other amps and different power tube types, I was in really deep. NOS EL34's in an Audio Note Kit power amp showed me some magical midrange that I had heard about by never experienced for myself.

Lastly, I got into the single ended stuff and life was perfect!

I largely (before I retired) listened to 2-channel stereo, but using three sets of speakers and three power amps. It fills the entire room with sound, seemingly without coming from any single source. It provides incredible sense of scale.

The Altec’s are on an all tube system with tube preamp. The other two systems are SS with modern tower speakers. They all blend together.

I can sit on my sofa, listen for hours and never want to get up. I have a little tour of my former audio room after my equipment profile, check it out.

12. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

I’d agree with that, though I wonder how many folks here are buying up stock as investment. I have two full replacement sets for my amps. The second bought in January. Just dumb luck really (plus with a second son heading to college I figured the $$ for audio was going to be in shorter supply). I’ve also bought strategic spares of some of my hard-to-replace components. Neither as investment, mostly as a hedge against obsolescence.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

I try to keep as many spares as I can manage to fit in the overall audio budget. Strategic spares is good nomenclature for what we do.

I can pretty much guarantee you that many people are grabbing them up for what they think is an opportunity.

I imagine a couple years back, people were doing the same for TP?

Living on the beach area of Fort Lauderdale, I have always maintained a well stocked pantry. Every year hurricane season is a big crap shoot.

The problem also arises because even at the suggestion of being hit by a tropical storm, people go out in hoards and strip the grocery store shelves. So hurricane or not, it is a major inconvenience.

A peek in my pantry.

[​IMG]

But, I buy in advance and I purchase items that are on sale!

Running a motel I always kept an ample supply of things like paper towels and TP.

As we would get into August, I would lay in 65-70 gallons of water. In addition, I kept a supply of beer and soft drinks on hand.

Even in Tennessee, I have limited cooking facilities, but I still keep up my pantry.

Ntotrar and Classic Car Guy like this.
  14. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Exactly what I have been thinking. While tubed preamps aren't that power hungry, tubed poweramps are, and I think that will lower the demand for them at least this coming winter. I hope the art of tubes survive until our societies have transitioned to renewable energy (which we can and should do as soon as possible).

15. MattHooper

Checking in....

TheTubeStore still outta Tung Sol power tubes after all this time. Upscale audio still selling them for very high prices.
    Electroharmonix seem to be back at the TubeStore.

PATB, Classic Car Guy and hi_watt like this.
  16. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I just began to realize I still have an amp that has KT-88 that I haven't used for almost 3 years now. I sold all the 18 pcs (back up) I have. I need to buy at least 2 incase if I ever use that amp again. :fly:

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I bought a quad of TS KT120 from the Tube Store several weeks ago. Keep checking when they stock them they sell fast. I payed a bit over $400.00

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

How long does your output tubes "roughly" last on normal use?

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have yet to use up my first set on this amp but I haven't had it quite a year.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

I found that my Rogue M-150's that use KT88 power tubes would last me about a year. But, that was back at the motel when I had the amp on, playing almost all of the time.

My guess is that your tubes should last a minimum of two years and probably like three or more.

Still, when you play the tube amp game, it is prudent to have a full complement of spare tubes on hand!

21. Classic Car Guy

My new amp just got shipped today. Yes Sir..! hopefully I get it before new year. :laugh:
    The power tube are not ordinary. I may need to grab some more sets before it hits the fan...

[​IMG]

Djohm, Ntotrar and jonwoody like this.
  22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Some folks may accuse me of hoarding but investing in future use is my intent. Not like I'm planning to sell at a profit.

23. MattHooper

In case it's of interest: For my CJ Premier 12 monoblocks I've always used 6550s - started with GE and moved to Tung Sol when GE were no longer available.
    Lifespan of output tubes, relatively high use, about 6 years or so. I only started using KT120s last year, so don't know how long those will last.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  24. Classic Car Guy

Its important. I had 2 quad sets of Mullard EL34 that I bought new in the box 1989. Those tubes last me all the way 2022. I don't have a use for it anymore that's why I sold it. Honestly I wont be able to afford buying those tubes today if I need to.
    My uncle was right along the way in growing up on my hifi and guitar amp years. Since when I built my very first 100 watt power amp when I was 16, he told me that once I get hooked up with tubes, I will keep looking and once I find it, It will be like priceless.

JNTEX, jonwoody and Ntotrar like this.
  25. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

What would you estimate in terms of hours?