Will/Should Phish be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I don't hear a lot of jazz in their live work so don't fret about that. Mostly a harder and rockier version of the Dead jams, more like Zappa. They are far and away better musos than the Dead. Where they fall very, very low is in their lyrics. You will see the value that Bob Hunter brought to the Dead. Too many songs about weasels, monkeys and some guy named Wilson.

Having said that, I enjoy their live work a lot but would not want to endure one of their concerts in real life. Way too old for that.

bzfgt and carlwm like this.
  2. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Phish's sound owes more to King Crimson, Rush, Genesis, and Frank Zappa than the Grateful Dead. That comparison is tired at best. As for their HOF worthiness, Just look how long it took to get those Prog bands into the HOF. Don't hold your breath.

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Cheers! :righton:

4. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

'Phraid not.

GoodKitty likes this.
  5. I ‘m not even a fan, but I have long admired their sense of mission and care about the music. They generate excitement and community with their music built on great musicianship, humor, and a sense of history. So, yes, they belong in the Hall.

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

That being said... if Phish ever get in and Tull is still not in I may just go on a rampage.

I think Tull not being in is what causes me to loath and despise the R&R Hall of Fame and have such disdain.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

why not? so many are there that do not belong to be...

8. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Phish is long shot....
    But...
    Looking at 2020 list
    Who knows

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Just curious...for those who think Phish is a long shot... why? Are you familiar with the band’s accomplishments? How many bands touring today could sell out MSG 13 shows in a row?

GoodKitty likes this.
  10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

They didn't sell out all those shows. The midweek shows had a portion of the seating curtained off I believe.
    The impressive part was, no repeats.

ARK and GoodKitty like this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Fair enough, but these numbers aren’t too shabby: ‘With the shows’ estimated capacity of 236,278 people, 227,385 people attended the concerts across the boards, selling out five of the thirteen performances.’

I agree that the no-repeat is most impressive... especially given that many other songs went unplayed. However, the HOF doesn’t really care about that kind of artistic accomplishment... they are more concerned in numbers.

GoodKitty and zakyfarms like this.
  12. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

No. They are terrible.

four sticks likes this.
  13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Kiss is awful, and they're in.

14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I tried. As a Deadhead in the early 90s, I kept hearing Phish this and Phish that from younger fans. I got their first 4 albums and saw them a couple of times in 1994 and 1995. They just never did it for me. They're great musicians....especially like Page McConnell.......but I disliked the weird Dungeons & Dragons type lyrics.

15. lester christgau

lester christgau Forum Resident

Millions of fans, decades of sold out tours, songs like Sample and Chalkdust.

They might not be your cup of tea, and I imagine they aren’t big around here where the majority of posters are old as dust, but Phish absolutely belong in this hall of fame.

However, I’m pretty sure they really don’t care - the rock n roll hall of fame is about as necessary and interesting as another Beatles thread in this joint.

Geee!, Crimson jon, lucan_g and 2 others like this.
  16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

17. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

If they buy tickets, why not?

GoodKitty likes this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Well they already inducted Genesis and played their and the ceremony music so thats good enough for me.
    Btw 39 shows between 1995-2008, mostly in that first 5 year period. I have little to no use for them anymore but they have made some mindblowing music.

GoodKitty likes this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

You must have last seen them in 2004 because there were no shows from 2005-2008.

20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

You are right. I saw 2 shows at the Gorge in 09.

21. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

You can't have a flute playing band in the HOF....whose next kenny g?:D

Smokin Chains likes this.
  22. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

It's a vacuum

ARK likes this.
  23. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

If Def Leppard got in, Phish should be a shoo-in.

But it won't happen. Because HoF.

guppy270 likes this.
  24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Phish does not fit the profile of the kind of band that the R&RHOF inducts - though, that profile could change.

Cult bands/artists commencing after 1970 without any hit songs/well-known songs are not represented in the HOF. If there is one consistency across the post-60s inductees, it is artists with hit songs/well-known songs.

Phish has no such songs, and no huge-selling album, either. I consider those to be two very huge blows against their potential for induction, based on how the Hall votes.

On the other hand, in an era when rock bands became less popular, Phish persevered and have live show attendances that are impressive. By virtue of their Genesis induction, they're on the Rock Hall radar. I would not completely rule them out, though I still consider them to be unlikely for ever being inducted.

25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

No, it won't happen because Def Leppard sold tens of millions of albums and had huge hit songs. Phish has no hit songs and doesn't have any album that sold anywhere close to Def Leppard's biggest albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.