Will We Get a 30th Anniversary Edition of The Cults Sonic Temple in 2019?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Jun 10, 2018.

1. kingbaz

kingbaz Well-Known Member

I’ve not seen that written anywhere, do you have a source for that?

2. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

It is, yes.

I finally, FINALLY got the 5CD set yesterday, I'll get round to it at some point later on. Looks good though.

3. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

FINALLY received mine too yesterday, along with a copy of the 2LP on blue vinyl from a private seller. Double win!
    Enjoy!

tinnox and Hush like this.
  4. LloydTheVoid

LloydTheVoid /ˈrez(ə)dənt/ Denizen

Listening to my copy of the 30th anniversary CD book as I write. Just got it in yesterday after a 3 week shipping delay from Matador. Sounds killer so far and I'm looking forward to listening to the live at Wembley disc. Enjoying the 1st demo disc.

Hardbound book packaging is really nice. I'd give it a 9/10. The binding is solid and the content of 1st hand band stories from Billy and Ian are awesome. I like the pics from this era too. Ian's comments about how he wasn't in line mentally with the vortex of the band's direction at the time is interesting. He mentions that his father was diagnosed with cancer during the release of this album and his association to it was more on the live portion and tour. I think you can see this difference in him with the follow up to Sonic Temple, when they begin to explore less rock anthem type sounds again.

All in all, I would give this reissue high ratings. As a fan with all their back catalogue (including the Rare Cult box), this is a nice addition to my collection. Happy to see some additional tracks not found elsewhere.

I got into The Cult with the release of Love when I was 14. I remember playing the cassette while taking the bus to school and dreaming of a psychedelic rock and roll lifestyle away from the boredom of my suburban life. I quickly bought their previous stuff and their Death Cult/Southern Death Cult albums. Saw them in 1987 for the Electric tour in Long Beach when Guns and Roses opened for them (later these roles would be reversed). That show was epic. By the time of Sonic Temple, I had moved on a bit and felt the sound was too "mainstream" for my tastes.

After growing up a bit, I came back to Sonic Temple as well as much of their subsequent releases which I had ignored or listened to casually. With maturity, I came to really appreciate this album. Billy's guitar work is just killer. The solo in Automatic Blues is one of his best ever. Jaime and Ian are also solid. Jaime never gets his due credit for the bass lines and bottom end he supports. An incredible bassist. Ian's vocals and lyrics are fun and dynamic. Fit the style perfectly. I feel he stretched his vocal range more on this album than anything previous.

Happy listening.

St. Troy, slipkid, Old Rusty and 8 others like this.
  5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Anyone have an original UK or US pressing of Sonic Temple and been able to compare to this remastered vinyl release? I've held off on buying after being really disappointed in the quality and sound of the Electric/Peace reissue a few years back.

c-eling likes this.
  6. LedHetland

LedHetland Forum Resident

I luckily got my 5CD set, too. Just uploaded it and will be checking it out sometime. Looks really nice, but I don’t like paper sleeves like these, as they tend to scratch the CD’s, and they’re facing outward :/

BUT, I saw Andy Pearce mastered it, along with another engineer, so there’s a super plus!

LloydTheVoid likes this.
  7. Hush

Cracking post.

I too got the Cult with the release of Love. It was a bit of a surprise when they went the way they did with Electric, then Sonic Temple, going for the 'balls out' rock and roll. I bloody well loved it, it has to be said. I managed to get front and centre for the second of their two nights in Scotland for the Sonic Temple tour, what a fantastic night that was. Although it could be argued that they've never quite reached that run of three albums again, I'm glad they're still touring and making some very good music.

They're up in Aberdeen in a couple of weeks. I can't wait!

enro99, LloydTheVoid and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. LloydTheVoid

That is so cool. I saw their Love anniversary tour a few years back and it was incredible. The show in 87 with GNR was just over the top fun. Such a great night. I missed them this year in Dallas and was honestly bummed they were at The House of Blues. Sound there blows. But, would love to catch them again in the future, and I hope they do some other anniversary tours and reissues as well.

Have fun at the Aberdeen show and post back your experience. Would welcome the read.

Cheers.

Hush and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So how much of this set is new? I've got all those picture disc CD singles/EP's that have a lot of this material. And I have The Cult box set (but not the demos box set). I'm also anxious to hear how the main album mastering came out.

Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. LloydTheVoid

I really like it. I don't hear clipping or brick walling. Good balance in the mix IMO. EQ feels warm and it doesn't feel to compressed to my ears. Granted, I don't have software to verify these things like some folks in the forums. Overall, it does feel slightly brighter than my original CD copy. The guitar parts are more punchy as are the drum fills. Backing vocals cutting through more than the original copy. Ian's vocals on American Horse sound amazing. (I don't own the vinyl.)

Not a ton of new stuff otherwise. The demo discs have a few tracks like Cashmere I haven't heard before. I don't have the demo box set either. Listened to the live disc yesterday and wasn't particularly blown away. The playing was awesome but the sound is bootleg quality IMO. I listened to one of the demo discs too so far and really enjoyed that. Always cool to hear some early interpretations or just changes in solos and what not.

Overall, I'm super happy with it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Juggsnelson and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. agentalbert

Thanks for the comments. You saying it might be slightly brighter than your original copy is a bit worrisome, though, as I've always considered the original CD already a bit too bright.

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Six of the songs on the live disc are previously unreleased, "New York City", "Automatic Blues", "Sun King", "Rain", "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Fire Woman" (the other three were on a "Sweet Soul Sister" 12"), that's it. But if you don't have The Demo Sessions box set then most of discs 3 and 4 will be tracks you don't have from before (I can count seven that were also on the first Rare Cult box set).

Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

And unfortunately that trait carries onto the old 89 US Direct Metal which is surprisingly analog.
    Think it's 'it is what it is'

14. agentalbert

Yeah. Would hope a new remaster by Andy Pearce would address it somewhat, not make it brighter. Too bad they couldn't try a remix. Whitesnake keeps putting out deluxe sets remixing old albums (not to good effect, imo, due to the heavy compression), but that doesn't mean it couldn't work here.

Matthew Tate and c-eling like this.
  15. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I'm seeing reports of people receiving their 5 CD set but my Amazon order has no shipping date as of yet. Checking Bullmoose's site indicates a 10/18 release. Call me confused....

johnny q and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. LloydTheVoid

Maybe it having more clarity is a better way of saying it? Not brighter as in annoyingly thin and tinny. I get what you're saying from the original. That version sounds thin to me like a lot of late 80s rock albums This new mix from Pearce doesn't. Hope that helps to clarify.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    squittolo, St. Troy, Jam757 and 5 others like this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Same here - I am clueless as to what is going on. I had this preordered via Amazon since it was first up. I see Amazon now has a single private seller offering it. The vinyl box on the other hand has been out since the originally advertised release date. I see it even in some brick/mortar stores.

The CD box? I feel like I am never getting it.

Edit: I see Bullmoose now shows "Out Of Stock Rare Item" So, this is already completely sold out?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I still haven't received my vinyl boxset. I got the 2LP first, then the delayed CD boxset but the blue vinyl is nowhere to be seen. Ordered direct from Beggars Banquet Arkive (*their spelling noy mine).

20. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Amoeba has the date for the CD box listed as 10/25 now.

Amazon US has it available and in stock, but being sold via Amazon UK. I went ahead and ordered it through them. Won't get it until next week at the earliest, but that's ok, seems like this might end up being limited? Kind of weird, but who knows.

The Amoeba listing is restricted to one per customer too, which I don't think they do that often. Probably worth trying to grab if you're at all interested in it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

There are also some copies on sale via Ebay.

I almost don't care at this point - I can stream the whole thing on Qobuz studio.

Regarding the vinyl set(s) Is there a version with the same musical contents as the 5 cd box?

22. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

AFAIK, the LP version is the 3 LP version and does not contain all the tracks from the 5 cd box. That’s how record companies fleece the fans now. I know I can stream it all but this band I like to collect. And in Canada, the 5 cd box is not released but I’m flying off to London next week to catch the band for a couple of shows so will pop by FOPP to pick it up.

Am currently listening to the Love album...34 years I have been a fan!

Old Rusty, Hush and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. LloydTheVoid

I ordered my 5 CD set in advance through their official site and Matador bumped delivery date 3 times. It finally came a few weeks back. So, looks like they weren't prepared for demand and are still playing catch up.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Hush

I've had a couple of weeks with the CD box now, really enjoying it, although I do prefer the Omnibus edition of the Love album.

The Wembley tracks are fine, nothing special. A lot of the demos I'd heard before, but the new ones are pretty good.

The Aberdeen gig is two days away now, getting excited!

LloydTheVoid and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Leeds tomorrow night!

LloydTheVoid and Hush like this.