Windows 10 Users - What Are We Using to Rip CD's and Play MP3's These Days?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by uzn007, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis Thread Starter

Um, yeah, except, er:

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Just use an old version then. "Problem" solved.

vwestlife likes this.
  3. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Thanks for your time. All I really want to know is does it actually, audibly sound better. That's pretty much it.

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I use dbPoweramp as a ripping/file format convertor but when it comes to getting a decent Mp3 it's the Lame codec you need regardless of front end as it sounds so good.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I haven't done any tests in a while but I believe you get more bang for your buck with LAME, for the same SQ.

In other words, a CBR 320kbps mp3 is going to probably sound just as good as LAME V0. But LAME will be able to lower the space footprint.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  6. Spin Doctor

Cool thanks!

Gaslight likes this.
  7. Spin Doctor

Interesting. Just something I've not considered.

8. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Yes, but in my case the old laptop that I had no other use for just happened to be a Mac. And at least for me, Mac OS is overall lower-hassle than Windows: No forced updates. No viruses (or so few that they're not worth worrying about). No driver problems. I've used it to rip over 700 CDs and it has never crashed on me. And it has nice little touches, like if you try to type a character that is not allowed in a file name (like a colon), instead of beeping at you and showing an error message, it'll just automatically substitute a similar character that is allowed.

And unlike most PC laptops, older MacBooks have optical TOSLINK digital audio inputs and outputs (shared with the analog 3.5mm jacks):

[​IMG]

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have an old Compaq PC laptop that has many types of input/output jacks all up and down both sides of the unit. USB jacks on left and right, so handy. I up'd the ram, and it's a fabulous CD ripper, FLAK tagging corrector, movie player for me to always have under the seat in the car. I just love this old computer. It's got the larger screen, so a DVD or a series of vob files just look stunning. But then, I know it's not for everyone. Not everyone is playing movies off of a thumb drive (or cares to), DVD, or using that kind of connectivity.

Oh, and I can rip CDs to FLAC on this computer, but I never do. I rip on home desktops, and do tag correcting on the laptop with portable USB drives if I need to.

10. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Mediamonkey

11. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

dbpoweramp for ripping to Apple Lossless
    foobar2000 for DR numbers
    playback using either my Denon HEOS receiver (for just music listening) or iTunes through the receiver when working on the computer and listening at the same time

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Another vote for JRiver! It costs a few bucks but well worth it. You can trial it for 30 days too. About $50 at full price, but usually includes the update to the next version in the price when it happens. Can be simple to use or has advanced features for re-sampling and control of your other digital devices. Works flawlessly and of course plays bit -perfect.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Which is fine....except OP is asking about Windows 10.

No need to turn this into a Mac vs PC discussion.

quicksrt likes this.
  14. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Same here. CUETools + EAC + foobar is a great combination.

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Rip: Exact Audio Copy
    Tag: Mp3Tag
    Playback: WinAmp, Foobar, or Kodi. Can't make up my mind. Foobar sounds best, Winamp is easiest to use, and Kodi looks coolest. :laugh:

I also use Plex to stream my music to TVs in the house.

Grant and uzn007 like this.
  16. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I bought dBpoweramp Reference for ripping my CD collection. For playback, I use MusicBee.

17. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Windows 10 still has Windows Media Player and it's surprisingly decent for ripping, cataloging and playback. You have to enable it under programs and features, windows features or something like that.

Otherwise JRiver is the Swiss army knife. Media Monkey is OK, too, and a little easier to use.

PhilBiker and uzn007 like this.
  18. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

Another vote for Mediamonkey. It has freedb and accurate RIP built in. I paid for Gold many years ago and never regretted it. I only use EAC for really troublesome CDs.

ITunes for Windows has always been a garbage fire. I escaped from it 10 years ago.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Is the “Reference” version the newer upscale state of the art version? I wonder what it does that is new?

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

JRiver and an Oppo 105 or 205 is a killer combo imo. Great starter kit to the world of music servers and surround sound!!!!

21. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I use dbPoweramp for ripping to what ever format I want, usually WAV, FLAC & MP3 (it can do many more) and JRiver Media Center for play back. I also use MP3Tag to manage file tags, (works with most all file formats).

fuse999 likes this.
  22. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It is the paid version that has the Secure Ripping features.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh I've had that for what seems like a decade. I just did not know it was called a "Reference" version.

24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis Thread Starter

Can anyone compare ripping via dbpoweramp vs. musicbee?

I've been playing around with musicbee for about a day and it seems to make a good itunes replacement. But it doesn't have the feature that lets you join track seamlessly while you're ripping. Does dbpoweramp let you do this?

25. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Not to derail the post but there were some interesting suggestions and I was wondering what was available on the Mac side. Has anyone tried Foobar2000 for Mac? Is it any good? Here is the link: foobar2000 for Mac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.