Wings' Venus and Mars Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alaska_Ken

Alaska_Ken Active Member

I love "Venus and Mars!" My favorite album though is "Back to the Egg." However my favorite song is on "RAM." I was five when my parents and I drove from Alaska to New York in a Chevy pickup and camper rig. I had my 5th birthday on that trip and caught my first fish and met my extended family in Monticello for the first time. Some of my fondest memories are of me and my parents singing "Uncle Albert Admiral Halsey" at the top of our lungs (along with "Black Water" by the Doobie Bros, both were in constant rotation on the radio no matter where you went.) Freakin' great times, been a Wings fan ever since!

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

streetlegal, marklamb, 905 and 2 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Same in the Chicago area, Medicine Jar from V&M just like Time to Hide from WATSOS got plenty of mid 70's FM rock radio airplay!

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, Time To Hide received similar airplay here as well. Solid rockers.

longdist01, marklamb and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  6. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

[​IMG]
    first UK press sounds better than the archive series

joy stinson and tug_of_war like this.
  7. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Agreed - an incredible track, and had the same reaction. I was eleven when I first heard the album. :)

Aftermath likes this.
  8. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Love in Song seems out of place to me as the third song after Venus and Mars and Rockshow. Love in Song is a buzz kill after those two songs. Medicine Jar and Call Me Back Again should be on side one. Love in Song and You Gave Me The Answer should be moved to side two. I usually skip Love In Song, Treat Her Gently and Crossroads Theme. The rest of the songs are fantastic.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I prefer this album to Band on the Run. Great songs.

10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Always loved his scat vocals on that. :righton:

joy stinson, foxylady and MitchLT like this.
  11. 905

905 Senior Member

12. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Yesterday, I happened to listen to the single version of Letting Go. Sounds much less compressed than the album version. Especially, the drums. Shame the whole album does not sound like that. I really like that album.

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Guess I should open my archive set now.

14. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

This prompts me to ask whether anyone recently has been able to find and download the deluxe archive edition high-res files? The PM.com site "redeem" page doesn't work and I've been unable to get any responsemresolution - my fault for not downloading the files back when I bought the set but I didn't imagine would simply no longer be available!

I know this was an issue for a number of folks and I've searched on here but couldn't find any solution. Any info/insight is greatly appreciated and sorry to jump in with this.

P. S. - "Love In Song" is one of the best songs on the album!

wwright and MrSka57 like this.
  15. Wingsfan2012

The book for the box set is great!

The sound is a slight improvement to these ears, but still so muddy sounding in parts...……….

16. Wingsfan2012

Same in the Chicago area, lots of rock radio airplay!

longdist01 likes this.
  17. Wingsfan2012

I think it is now out of print, so get it if you can in this quarantine..............

[​IMG]

tug_of_war likes this.
  18. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

I know I’ve already vented earlier in this thread, but I’m listening to the latest reissue vinyl again right now, and the compression and the mixes on some tracks are just so unbelievably awful that it staggers me. It would have been a depressing nightmare to remaster, because improving the sound would’ve been utterly impossible. I love the songs, the performances and the arrangements, but this should NEVER have been re-released without a complete remix.

19. Wingsfan2012

I agree a remix was needed for V&M. I am not a vinyl guy at all and still love my CD's. The CD I found a slight sonic upgrade. I could not comment on the archive edition vinyl...….

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  20. dzjc

dzjc Forum Resident

My favorite Wings album, hands down. And I love Magneto.

21. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Great Wings album!

steve phillips and tug_of_war like this.
  22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Good to see a thread for this album, as I was wanting to ask about the mix.

On the archive edition book, it is said that Linda and Paul preferred a rough mix of Listen To What The Man Said, and that's why the backing track is sucked into the void for a few seconds towards the end.

But in fact, I think the whole album mix is weird (although I like it), and I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was a rough mix released at the expense of a more polished final mix.

Anyone can put some light on this? At least a final mix of Listen To What The Man Said does exist and the latest remaster was a lost opportunity to release it, DAMNIT PAUL!

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Love the LP.
    'Letting Go' is the last time on a studio album where Paul sounds like a Beatle to me. Fitting title, I should think.

Glad Man, joy stinson and Troystar like this.
  24. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree. I think "Love In Song" is perfectly placed there. It nearly sends shivers up my spine having those first few notes come in as V&M/RS is fading out. This and the "Tug Of War"/"Take It Away" transition are two of my favorite in his entire catalogue.

25. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

All-time great album.

wwright likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.