Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

wait! this is real?

pablo fanques and Mr. Explorer like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Any economical two-disc editions being issued?

3. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Can't say I'm terribly excited for the expanded Wild Life, but I'm certainly pumped for Red Rose Speedway. Macca's most underrated album, in my opinion (except on this forum, of course) :righton:

4. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

5. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Check out link above.

6. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I'll wait it out on the WL and RRS boxes. Way too expensive. Considering the sheer volume of archival releases coming out in the next few months that are more reasonably priced I'm a bit surprised at what they are asking for these.

Very disappointed at the price creep on the Macca sets . They were decent value until they got to FITD

vinnie, pablo fanques and Pawnmower like this.
  7. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Ordered the big box. Couldn’t stop myself though I tried three times.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

There seems to be a crying shortage of live stuff from the 1972 University/Wings Over Europe and 1973 British tours on these sets, which seems kinda surprising unless McCartney doesn't have anything in decent enough quality, which leads me to a question: the version of "The Mess" we all know and love -from the "My Love" B-side- was recorded live at the Hague. Would it be wrong to assume that entire concert was recorded, and, if so, where's the rest of it?

At least the Red Rose Speedway set looks like I figured it would- encompassing the rejected "double album" material and including the James Paul McCartney TV show which I still haven't psyched myself up to watch yet:laugh:

9. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Any vinyl editions?

10. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

There'll be 2LP versions of the 2CD Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway releases, and also a 2LP reconfiguration of the Red Rose Speedway double album.

11. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

Wow, these box sets look pretty amazing... however way out of my price range. I consider myself a pretty hardcore McCartney fan, but not a McCartney "collector" While these are cool, they are not for me. I just want the music. Unfortunately I will miss out on a lot of the bonus material because it's just too much for me to justify dropping that kind of money on some books and "eye candy" The other thing is, a very good majority of the bonus tracks are already out there in bootleg form, which I have my fair share of. Now I'd love to have it in "remastered" quality, don't get me wrong...

The Wings Over Europe material looks interesting... however it's also missing a lot of songs that were performed live during that time. No "Cottonfields", but "Best Friend" is included. Also, not included: When The Night, Little Woman Love, C-Moon, Live And Let Die, Go Now, Henry's Blues, Say You Don't Mind. What about "Will The Circle Be Unbroken?" Granted a couple are one off's.. but still. You could have a very complete playlist of the early shows. Why only one song from "Newcastle?" Big Barn Bed?? C'Mon. There is an entire bootleg from Newcastle, very good quality with a lot of the missing songs. I notice a lot from the "Hague" which is also good quality. There are a couple videos floating around on YouTube from that show, I'm assuming, even though it says "1973" Where is the rest of the footage? That would be a nice inclusion. Why "Hi Hi Hi" from this show? Most people complain about Henry's out of tune playing... I'm sure there is a better recording somewhere right? The "Gronigen" boot is missing "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Long Tall Sally" so those are actually unheard, which is cool. As for "Berlin", I don't think there are any boots from this show, so more unreleased material which is nice.

As for Red Rose Speedway, the double album is nice, but can also be pieced together with various boots. The double album acetate is very similar with a different track list order, some added and missing songs. There may be a few extra versions of songs that are unbooted, but very little I'm sure. I understand not everyone has, or collects bootlegs either. So for me, a lot of this material is nothing new, other than better sound quality I would imagine. I'll still pick up the double CD versions... the box sets though, out of my range. Just my $0.02

Doggiedogma likes this.
  12. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Seems a whole lot missing here? C Moon, Hi Hi Hi, I Would Only Smile, Momma's Little Girl, etc?

Tord likes this.
  13. 400$... too much also for me...

Ringo Hendrix and sunking101 like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Soon after the official announcement is coming out.
    [Edit:] I just came online now. So... looks like pre-order's ready: 1971 - 1973

15. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

really...?...is this happening?. by the way, it's 1971, when WL came out, not '72. Still, those are my 2 favorite PM/W albums...don't know why..really..dunno....maybe it's cuz of the times when i bought 'em...kinda underground..WL was...under the radar for sure...no one even noticed really......and then RRS..... more mainstream or commercial or whatever ..than WL.....heck..my love was #1...and it was cool that he was big again. ..anyway....glad these are coming out.....

16. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Yes. And in a great way.
    For Wild Life, the bonus disc is the one with bonus tracks. What you are missing out from the deluxe, is the Rough Mix of the original album + the films.

For Red Rose Speedway, the bonus disc looks like this:

1. Mary Had A Little Lamb
    2. Little Woman Love
    3. Hi, Hi, Hi
    4. C Moon
    5. The Mess [Live At The Hague]
    6. Live And Let Die
    7. I Lie Around
    8. Night Out
    9. Country Dreamer
    10. Seaside Woman
    11. Best Friend [Live In Antwerp]
    12. Mama’s Little Girl
    13. I Would Only Smile
    14. Tragedy
    15. Thank You Darling
    16. 1882 [Live In Berlin]
    17. Jazz Street
    18. Live And Let Die [Group Only, Take 10]

-What you are going to miss out from the boxed set, are the following:

Get On The Right Thing [Early Mix]
    Little Lamb Dragonfly [Early Mix]
    Little Woman Love [Early Mix]
    1882 [Home Recording]
    Big Barn Bed [Rough Mix]
    The Mess (studio)
    1882 (studio)
    Mary Had A Little Lamb [Rough Mix]

-Said otherwise: For the 2 cd set, they are giving us a version of every song from the boxed set. On the box they are giving us further alternate versions. A fine way of doing it, if you ask me.

17. MHP

Something has fallen out from the text, because they are there...

Boxed set bonus disc:

CD3 – Bonus Audio
    2. Little Woman Love
    3. Hi, Hi, Hi
    4. C Moon
    5. Live And Let Die
    6. Get On The Right Thing [Early Mix]
    7. Little Lamb Dragonfly [Early Mix]
    8. Little Woman Love [Early Mix]
    9. 1882 [Home Recording]
    10. Big Barn Bed [Rough Mix]
    11. The Mess
    12. Thank You Darling
    13. Mary Had A Little Lamb [Rough Mix]
    14. 1882 [Live in Berlin]
    15. 1882
    16. Jazz Street
    17. Live And Let Die [Group Only, Take 10]

2 cd set bonus disc:

2. Little Woman Love
    3. Hi, Hi, Hi
    4. C Moon
    5. The Mess [Live At The Hague]
    6. Live And Let Die
    7. I Lie Around
    8. Night Out
    9. Country Dreamer
    10. Seaside Woman
    11. Best Friend [Live In Antwerp]
    12. Mama’s Little Girl
    13. I Would Only Smile
    14. Tragedy
    15. Thank You Darling
    16. 1882 [Live In Berlin]
    17. Jazz Street
    18. Live And Let Die [Group Only, Take 10]

-What you are going to miss out from the Red Rose Speedway boxed set, are the following audio:

Get On The Right Thing [Early Mix]
    Little Lamb Dragonfly [Early Mix]
    Little Woman Love [Early Mix]
    1882 [Home Recording]
    Big Barn Bed [Rough Mix]
    The Mess (studio)
    1882 (studio)
    Mary Had A Little Lamb [Rough Mix]

18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

19. MHP

It would be nice if people weren’t lazy. Just check out the tracklists. There are more economical versions available, depending on how much you want to pay for it.

somnar likes this.
  20. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yeah....smart and inciteful observations.. i feel the same......it's getting that my "record collector" and "completist" me must finally succumb to the realization that from now on in, i can be satisfied with what i have, and how it came to be when it came to be. yet, if i had the money, maybe i'd buy it and perhaps listen to it once, maybe twice or three times, but, ultimately, i'd always go back to the canon of work/albums, singles.

21. MHP

A gort needs to fix the initial post. Red Rose Speedway are missing the first 6 tracks from the bonus audio disc 3. People gets confused.

They are:
    CD3 – Bonus Audio
    2. Little Woman Love
    3. Hi, Hi, Hi
    4. C Moon
    5. Live And Let Die
    6. Get On The Right Thing [Early Mix]

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Does that mean that next year this ‘remaster series’ should be over?

$400? For these two albums? Don’t think I’ll be on the deluxe side on this one. Definitely the underrated gems of the catalog and worth owning... just not everyone’s cup of tea.

23. maclen

maclen Senior Member

So now there's a Wings Over Europe in the mix? Only available in the bundle??

24. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Depending on how much you want to pay for it...
    Well for two 70s albums, and low tier albums by this artist at that, four hundred dollars is an "Ah, a Paul McCartney collector! We saw you coming Sir" moment.