Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Kyle T.

Kyle T. Well-Known Member

I just received my Red Rose Speedway box. My "Wings Over Morocco" book has several blank pages as well as many photos duplicated. I've tried searching on the forum and online in general for a thread indicating this to be a problem but have yet to see mention of it. Am I missing something--did all (or at least any other) of the books come out like this? I'm sure I'm not the only one...right?

I'm wondering how likely it is that I could just get a "correct" book or if I'd have to return the whole set, but I guess that's a question for Amazon. Would be curious to hear if anyone else's book is like mine.

2. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Mine has some blank pages but no repeats. It is discussed upthread and I think the conclusion was the blank pages are normal.

3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The main thing I'm loving on there is Mama's Little Girl, it's absolutely gorgeous, and would have been a comfortable fit on The White Album.

I'm assuming it's exactly the same recording that was released in 1990, but this version without all the reverb and the up close vocals just leaves me stunned. :love:

4. Kyle T.

Kyle T. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply! Good to know that the blank pages are normal. As for the repeats, I counted 5. Early in the book, 5 straight pictures (beginning with the band gathered outside a hut with baskets hanging behind them) to a local Moroccan man playing a drum are repeated. I wonder what I'm missing in their place, or if I just have extra pages? I've read comments pertaining to interesting shots of the hotel--none of which appear to be in my book. Looks like perhaps I got a bum copy.

5. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Seems like some QC issues.....

Also some vinyl pressings of RRS and WL being "off centered"...

The wrong "Hold Me Tight" lyrics in the book for RRS

Any others????

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree-Mommas little girl is a brilliant song and recording

7. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

That one was an intentional joke by Paul and the team.

8. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Just looked through mine and there is a couple that could be taken outside a hotel, a stone building. Ones a double page with Wings and a host of others.

9. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

the glitch on Love Is Strange

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Yeah the pressings were done poorly (in terms of QC). I returned each multiple times to Amazon and still dont have great pressings. Its a shame because the sleeves and inner materials are better than ever

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  11. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Coming in a bit late in the thread, but did anyone get replacements that were properly centered?

I have a few days left to decide whether or not to return mine, sounds like it's not worth it.

12. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Its hard with 2 disc sets. You can never get a perfect one. I ordered a replacement before I returned my old one and then kept the best disc of each. I still didn't get a perfect set because some were warped and some were slightly off center.

13. I don’t see what is so wrong with the Biker Like an Icon lyrics. Never have understood what the big deal is to some people. Certainly not enough to warrant people trashing the song in this thread. :shrug:

14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Has your McCartney top 5 or top 10 changed since the release of Egypt Station, Wild Life Archive, or RRS Archive/Double Album?

My McCartney top 10

1 Egypt Station
    2 Red Rose Speedway Double Album
    3 Ram
    4 New
    5 Band on The Run
    6 Chaos
    7 Tug of War
    8 Venus And Mars
    9 London Town
    10 Back To The Egg

15. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

I'm just wondering, and don't take this the wrong way. Do you really think that Egypt Station is Paul McCartney's best album in your opinion?

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It’s always been a head scratcher for me that two songs I consider classic McCartney acoustic based songs, “Yvonne” and "Mama’s Little Girl" were never on an actual main album of Paul’s.

"Mama’s Little Girl" sat officially unloved until it was fobbed off as a “B” side 18 years after it was recorded and Paul hasn’t even bothered to release his version of “Yvonne” yet.

Plus, we know he wrote "On the Wings of a Nightingale" specifically for the Everly Brothers but that’s another classic McCartney song that I would love to hear Paul’s version of besides the crappy fidelity version available .

Note to my good buddy Paul:
    Adding a clear demo of “On the Wings of a Nightingale” to a possible Broadstreet deluxe is probably the only thing that would persuade me to buy the release .

They are both from 1984 so it makes sense .
    Come on Paul, old pal. Just do it. :D

Otherwise, do you remember the Beatles album burnings down south in 1966?
    If you don’t take my suggestion I’m gonna mobilize a Broadstreet burning up here in Chicago, that toddlin town.

The only question is if I’ll toddle over to the bonfire and thrown my Broadstreet album in the fire first or my VHS cassette of the movie in first .

I mean business Paul . You’ve been warned .
    :laugh:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

He might not be opposed!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Best is difficult to say. At my age it speaks to me more than any of his previous albums. I'm sure that is one of the main reasons I rate his recent albums so highly. An older Paul speaks to where I am on my life journey better than a 30 year old Paul, I guess.

joy stinson, FJFP, kevintee and 4 others like this.
  19. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

He was emerging from Beatle breakup de Nile...

joy stinson and tug_of_war like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That makes sone sense. Even though I love Egypt Station I would not put it above some of the old war-horses. It s all there for our enjoyment anyway

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Wings of a Nightingale is great, Mommas little girl equally so. Yvonne is also a good one but I would not sort that pop-song into the acoustic box you sorted the other two. But a nice and catchy pop-song it is.

JDeanB likes this.
  22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Why not ? It’s an acoustic guitar based song.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There s also sone Electric guitars-at least to mu ears.

joy stinson, Rickchick and maui jim like this.
  24. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Who do you need to "organize" with? You should be able to agree with yourself on an acceptable time. ;)

joy stinson likes this.
  25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My Wings Over Morocco book is perfect.

"On The Wings Of A Nightingale" and "Yvonne's The One" are indeed two of Paul's best unreleased tunes. I adore them both. And I love playing "Yvonne" on the acoustic guitar; it suits my voice perfectly.

Hep Alien, Wingsfan2012 and Who Cares like this.