Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Thanks for posting them!

WilliamWes likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If you post them, we'll ride them...
    I mean, read them ... ;)

WilliamWes likes this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Nice posting

WilliamWes likes this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Are we all thinking August/Sept for the Abbey Road 50th box and hopefully November/December for "London Town" and "Back to the Egg"?

5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I am! Figure Abbey Road will be announced sometime between May and June, and released in early September. For LT/BTTE, I'm assuming they'll keep to the schedule they used for Wild Life and Red Rose - announce in fall, release in December.

6. rsinige

rsinige Forum Resident

Won't Let it Be be released before Abbey Road (as in the new film version and remastered original) as it was recorded first. I would like to assume they'd be audio too.

tug_of_war likes this.
  7. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I'd assume they'd go by release date, coinciding with respective 50th anniversaries.

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That does ignore the copyright expiration issue for the Get Back sessions, but then Apple probably isn't concerned. They did include some 1966 recordings in the Pepper box, despite those technically already being in public domain.

andrewskyDE, OobuJoobu and MPLRecords like this.
  9. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

There was some discussion awhile back on how it doesn't go into public domain, it goes into the hands of the original owners — hence why Apple did not follow up the 1963 set with any others, because they figured out they'd own it anyway.
    Others must have thought the same thing, since we didn't get copyright expansion sets from a lot of the bigger 60s bands either.
    The Beach Boys are an exception, since the rights were sold back in 1966 and nobody wants a lawsuit over who gets to own what after (i.e., does it go to Beach Boys name owner Mike Love or does he have to split it with co-writer Brian Wilson)?

September 26 is the 50th anniversary of Abbey Road. Given that Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles were released on anniversary dates, it seems likely Abbey Road will be in September 2019 and the new Let It Be will debut in May 2020.
    The only Wings anniversary in Q4 is Wings Greatest, which isn't getting the Archive treatment — but I could reasonably see Paul tying the last two Wings boxes to the same period as the launch of their final tour, December.

Keep in mind all the other releases already suggested/on the horizon as well: Egypt Station bells and whistles deluxe, Egypt Station regular deluxe, coloured vinyl, and an expanded McGear.
    And it's logical, I think, that Ringo will celebrate the anniversary of the All Starr Band with something — maybe a new tour album, video or collective release.
    Plus Yoko could follow up Imagine with an expanded Some Time In New York City, and Olivia can surprise us with another expensive release from George's back catalogue.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  10. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Much of the Let It Be album tracks received overdubs after Abbey Road was recorded including new vocals, orchestra instrumetations, and even a new complete song (I Me Mine), so I would expect it to be released after an Abbey Road retrospective.

11. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

Billboard magazine
    January 18, 1975

[​IMG]

12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Thoughts on the topic of a 2nd Edition of the Big Barn Box....

13. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like your review, I would put Wings Over Europe right after Wings Over America simply for the fact that it's set list is different enough from all other official McCartney live albums! When they officially release Last Flight I think it will move into my #2 spot for the very same reason.

All other McCartney live albums have too many songs in common.

WilliamWes and somnar like this.
  14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Very well thought out and well-reasoned.

As someone who missed out on the box, I hope that's not correct [although it probably is]. :cry:

I would at least like to see a standalone release of WOE at some point down the road... I don't expect any possibility of that happening until well after the 1977-1979 release, though. :waiting:

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Even though Im a proud owner of the big one I certanely would applaud if the WOE were availabe for a broader aufience

16. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Thats a long gap between the release. I imagine late July/early August for an Abbey Road announcement

17. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Yeah, you're right. Pepper was April and came out in June. So Abbey should be late July. August is probably too close.

18. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I do think we might see the music pop up on a record store day release, as I think they have a clue that it should sell.

19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

As I listen more and more to Red Rose Speedway as a double album, it's really standing out how the album was essentially neutered by removing so many wonderful and often heavier tracks to create a the more mediocre single album that we got at the time.

Tord, Macca75, andrewskyDE and 6 others like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Just as you I find the double album version of RRS brilliant. However I never thought of the original album as mediocre-just weird with a strange track order and serious omissions of great tracks
    However the double album is enjoyable listening throughout- the weird things like Loup or the meddle works so much better in this context. Don t think I ever will listen through the original album again

supermd, andrewskyDE and Dr. Pepper like this.
  21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I finally sat down to watch the DVD bonus material on Wild Life and RRS this week (don't ask) and, you know what?, I really enjoyed the pub segment. Perhaps it was a pang of reminiscing for days long gone - smoke filled rooms with shockingly bad decor - or perhaps it was something else, but I found myself feeling a real sense of connection with the young man, sitting in a room full of family. Watching it, I was conscious that McCartney, watching that footage in 2018, would be looking at a room full of relatives all now dead. A moment where his dad comes to sit with him and, again, we get to share a brief intimate moment between a father and his son - a son who is rich and famous beyond belief but yet still a man's son. In a room, sharing a drink. We see members of a famous band being introduced to relatives who have no idea who they are, and those band members being very respectful - not at all the Big I Am.

Back in 1973, this would have been mundane beyond belief and, even now, it is not the most enthralling footage, but watching it in solitude I found myself strangely captivated but it all. Perhaps I just need to find a cafe to sit in and people watch...

22. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Last weekend I started a "McCartney Video Fest" at home with my wife and two sons (ages 17 and 12). I rank the fact that both boys are big McCartney/Beatles fans as one of my proudest parental accomplishments. Anyway, the idea was to work our way chronologically through the Archive Collection video contents by album. We made it up to the James Paul McCartney Special and I also found the pub segment quite touching in a way. It was really the only glimpse of a "real" Paul amidst all the very calculated segments. At the end of the special I think the whole family was not quite too impressed. My wife turned to me and said, "Paul really was a dork in the early '70s, wasn't he?" I had to agree.

23. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I hope so but I also hope that if it happens it is made available in sufficient numbers to avoid a bunfight to get hold of one. Unfortunately many of us do not live anywhere near a record store that participates in RSD so it would need to be available through retailers who sell by means other than directly over the counter.

24. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

He does the same thing in Broadstreet, visiting the old man above the pub for a spot of tea. Paul is deeply proud of the way he was raised – surrounded by family, especially a very supportive and understanding father – and it shows. It's why, I think, he says in Put It There that he finds such little connections full of deep meaning.

Some may find it corny, but I think it shows why Paul has been so balanced all these years: he's had anchors, with his dad and with Linda, that never let him drift too far away from his roots. He doesn't want to lose those connections to the past, and we would be sorrier if he did.

JLPMacca, supermd, PhoffiFozz and 3 others like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

So far we have this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019