With The Beatles mono U.K. LP, Decca Records pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Someone on eBay is selling a mono LP of With The Beatles. Says it's a Decca Records pressing and shows a label from a Rolling Stones stereo LP from the same period. The matrix on this album is -7N, same as mine, but I definitely don't have this version of With The Beatles. EMI must have farmed this part of this pressing. Neat label though.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Sounds like it would be a nice pressing, although I'm don't sure why the seller includes a picture of the Decca label. I don't see the connection.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Who gives a rat's ass where it is pressed? This Beatles stuff is getting a bit nuts.

Mine is in just as good shape....time to put it on Ebay!!!!

4. Chris R

Can't remember what the term is, but the ring/groove stamp within the label on this version of With The Beatles is very wide, compared to the normally very narrow ones on the 1960s EMI U.K. pressings. The Stones label pic, I guess, is showing you that Decca pressings used the wider stamp.
    :laugh:

Dave, this different pressing is moderately interesting. I was unaware that EMI U.K. had ever used another record label to press any Beatles LPs. My late 1960s, early 1970s U.K. Stones and Moody Blues LPs on Decca are some of the best U.K. pressings that I own; nice inner sleeves, very thick vinyl, flat as a pancake, no warping here.

In the early days of buying vinyl, it was quite a contrast coming home from Opus 69 or the Autumn Stone (two prominent record shops in Wpg. in the late 1960s and 1970s), with a thick U.K. pressing of a Stones or Moody Blues album on Decca or Deram, and then cracking open a U.S. import album on RCA Dynaflex that was a thin as a wafer, with usually some warpage. Not too hard for me to choose which pressing I prefer and it's NOT the Dynaflex. I know some argue that RCA pressed some fairly nice sounding records during that period but I still prefer heavy vinyl to the very think Dynaflex. That is why a couple of my Jefferson Airplane albums are U.K. imports, from that period.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks miike....no disrespect intended...just seems like any minute difference makes the seller think he can ask $100000000 dollars for a figgin record!

6. Chris R

No probelmo Dave. I totally understand your frustration. Beatles LP sellers on eBay need to bring it down a notch, or two, or three.

The auction is finished. The seller received £120.00 / $262.00 Canadian / $188.00 U.S. While not a million dollars, it was a pretty decent haul for an LP that probably cost a couple of guineas back in the early 1960s.

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well, I think i might have to put mine on ebay......should check and see if it's a Decca pressing!

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've got the same -7N matrix numbers on my mono copy. I'll have to look a little closer at it now. I picked it up in a store a few months back, for only $10 as the cover is a bit ratty.

John K.

9. Chris R

The Decca pressing was probably a very short run. As mentioned my mono WTB is also a -7N. This most likely was a very common matrix from the EMI pressings.

Here is a scan from Side 1 of my copy. Note the small groove, standard to 1960s EMI U.K. pressings.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.