With the Sun in My Eyes: Brothers Gibb (Bee Gees/Andy Gibb) Song-by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Majk

Majk Forum Resident

Let There Be Love is a fine piece, with beautiful vocals especially from Barry. 3/5

Jarleboy, JeffMo, BeSteVenn and 5 others like this.
  2. John V

John V Forum Resident

This is probably for another thread but I've never understood how mistakes like 'Sincerey" get through all the quality control that artists and record companies were supoosed to have!

[​IMG]

3. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Barry’s vocal is a little over the top for the song. The bridge is great but then Robin ‘s appearance takes the song in a whole other direction and not a good one. The alternate has a different Barry vocal and isn’t as dramatic which serves the song better. Not one of their best ballads but far from their worst.

album version 3.5/5

4. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Let There Be Love

Another great study in composition. This song has really nice parts, including that wonderful pre-chorus that starts with that D minor. And I love Robin's entry. I've noticed that these songs need a few listens for me to "get" and this one too gets better with repeated listens. 4/5

5. Photon

Photon Forum Resident

"Let There Be Love". Melodrama. Epic. Big ballad. Over the top. I am a sucker for this. I adore this song! I cannot understand why this was not a single. It seems to have single "properties". When I first heard the track on Best of Vol 2, I thought that it was one of their biggest hits. Was it because they released too many singles in 1968? 5/5

Also, am I correct in saying that with Idea having no singles released from the album in the UK, it nevertheless managed a healthy number 4 on the charts?

6. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

Let There Be Love

Has many of the ingredients needed for a great Bee Gees song but somehow they don't all come together well and it's missing something. I think the melody is somewhat bland and the song is a bit plodding. Slightly prefer the demo due to the mellotron. 3.5/5

Jarleboy, Photon, BeSteVenn and 6 others like this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

It seems that way. I didn't realize that it didn't have any singles released in the UK. How strange.

8. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

Let There Be Love: You've got to admire the Brothers Gibb, they never shied away from making records just as strange as they felt they should be. This is pretty downbeat for song proclaiming the start of a lifelong commitment. One that was kept as well! Kudos to the Dutch record buyers for putting it in their top 20 as well. Very odd! 3/5

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    Jarleboy, Photon, lou and 4 others like this.
  9. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Perfect opener...5/5

davenav, Jarleboy, Photon and 4 others like this.
  10. Majk

Majk Forum Resident

I’ve found that to be true about most of Bee Gees’ works. Perhaps especially in regards to Barry and his penchant for complex, ever evolving melodies. But then, when you eventually do get it, the pay-off is many times all the greater.

Jarleboy, Photon, JeffMo and 6 others like this.
  11. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Let There Be Love

This a very pretty song that is unfortunately nearly overwhelmed by the orchestration. (The harp is a bit much.) The chorus is my favorite part. It definitely sounds like a first-dance-at-a-wedding song.

3.75/5

12. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Let There Be Love

Oh my, this is sensational, maybe the best song on the album. It's magical and gorgeous. The heavenly harmonies bring to mind the later big hit Hollies hit "The Air That I Breathe". Robin's spin on lead is a little awkward at first blush, but I've grown to love it. This is exactly the kind of song I come to the Bee Gees to hear, and they deliver big time. Bring on more schmaltz, please! 5/5

Man at C&A, davenav, Zardok and 9 others like this.
  13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

So true! If I only heard most of these songs once, I'd probably grade them lower, but yes, the complexity of these songs sometimes has to settle in my head.

Jarleboy, Photon, BeSteVenn and 3 others like this.
  14. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

"Let There Be Love" is nice, but doesn't really hit the mark for me.

3/5

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Let There Be Love
    Pretty much the same take others have expressed. A beautifully constructed song and arrangement that seems to do everything right but just doesn't have the magic catchy hook to it. And I'd take a magic catchy hook sung into a phone a capella for 10 secs over a beautifully constructed arranged and produced creation that lacks it.
    Rating 2.5

16. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Yes, exactly.

Jarleboy, Photon, Majk and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I quite like this song. It's not a song I can listen to all the time, which knocks it down a point, but when I'm in the right mood, it's really enjoyable.

My rating 3.5/5

18. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Let There Be Love

I should like this more than I do, as it has all the great Bee Gees elements - Barry's stirring lead vocal, the harmonies, emotional lyrics, a bit of Robin too - but somehow it doesn't all come together into a coherent whole song. Maybe the melodies don't stir me enough.

3/5

19. downer mydnyte

downer mydnyte Forum Resident

LTBL

Better than All You Need Is Love by the Beatles, Let There Be More Light by Pink Floyd and Love Child by Supremes. Not as good as Love's Happening by the Impressions.

Bee Gees have some very great ballads. This one is average.

Jarleboy, Photon, Majk and 2 others like this.
  20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Let There Be Love" is a concerning opener for the album. Did they finally give in to the "To Love Somebody" success and go all mushy and soft on us? Turns out the answer was luckily no. But this song is a bit over the top. Super dramatic. They do a bit of everything so I'm not surprised by a big ballad kicking off another album. Not a song I play very often, though.

2.8/5

21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Their English is probably a lot better than most people's Dutch...

Jarleboy, Lance LaSalle, Majk and 2 others like this.
  22. HawthorneCalifornia

HawthorneCalifornia Forum Resident

Let There Be Love

This is the type of song that turns people off of the Bee Gees.
    Overblown dramatic, and overwrought, and not a good song. Plus the orchestration is piled on thick.
    The beginning that is ok, is overrun by bathos.
    Not my type of song, and I am a big fan.
    There is an old Nat King Cole song, with George Shearing, with the same title that is so much better.

2/5

23. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

LET THERE BE LOVE — I always thought this was a lousy, overblown, downbeat opener for a terrific, eclectic album. But I played it again this morning and for whatever reason it clicked. I think its placement on the album is just wrong. If it were buried on the second side maybe we'd all be hailing it as a classic deep cut. 4/5

Jarleboy, Lance LaSalle, Majk and 4 others like this.
  24. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

"Let There Be Love" is a another step in the direction of MOR, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think they went in this direction too soon. The vocal is a little overwhelmed by the kitchen sink arrangement, just the strings or just the understated backing band would be more effective. Sort of like flowers and a card is usually better than a huge flower arrangement. 4/5

I also have this by Tom Jones, Barry does a better job conveying the tenderness of the song. Tom's arrangement is by Johnnie Spence, he also did some arrangements for Dusty Springfield, I wish she had sung this, I wish the Gibbs had done a whole album with her.

25. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Dusty Sings the Brothers Gibb would have been a great album!