With the Sun in My Eyes: Brothers Gibb (Bee Gees/Andy Gibb) Song-by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love it!

Jarleboy, lemonade kid, Majk and 2 others like this.
  2. Michael

5/5
    I'd give a higher score of I could. : )

Jarleboy, lemonade kid, Majk and 3 others like this.
  3. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "I Started a Joke"
    1-0
    2-0
    3-2
    4-5
    5-19
    Average: 4.6192

Jarleboy, lavalamp3, Majk and 3 others like this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

Today’s song is “Kilburn Towers”, written by Barry, Robin & Maurice Gibb; strings arranged by Bill Shepherd; produced by The Bee Gees & Robert Stigwood.

Bee Gees – Kilburn Towers Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
    Background:

Possibly inspired either by Kilburn Towers near London or Kilburn Towers in Melbourne. In concert Barry said it was about sitting in a field with friends and getting drunk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The basic track of “Kilburn Towers" was recorded at IBC Studios on June 14th, 1968, on the same day as “Such A Shame"

Line Up:
    Barry Gibb: lead vocals, acoustic guitar
    Vince Melouney: acoustic guitar
    Maurice Gibb: mellotron
    Colin Petersen: drums

5. Lance LaSalle

6. Lance LaSalle

A cover by Another Sunny Day

7. Michael

3/5

Jarleboy, Majk and Photon like this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Damien Youth cover:

Jarleboy, BeSteVenn and Majk like this.
  9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I think I’d prefer to live in the Melbourne version!

It’s a lovely song, although has the tough task of following a classic: 4.5/5.

10. Michael

3/5

Jarleboy, Majk and Photon like this.
  11. Lance LaSalle

Barry live about ten years ago:

12. Lance LaSalle

13. Lance LaSalle

"Kilburn Towers" has such an incredibly beautiful, wistful melody. I see the song as wistfully looking back at a time of innocence, when you simply don't know anything and you enjoy the world around you without criticism or thought. Beautiful.

5/5

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Kilburn Towers

That's just delightful. Very surprised that Mellotron intro hasn't been swiped for some kind of vaporwave track. That guitar solo is nice and melancholy too.

15. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Kilburn Towers

What a melody. Barry nailed this one. The only thing holding this song back is the overall production, which sounds a little elevator music-like, but it's not as pronounced on the mono compared to the stereo. I bet an acoustic version would have nailed this one. 3.5/5

16. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

I Started A Joke
    This is undoubtedly a Bee Gees classic. Robin's vibrato adds pathos to this song, and Barry and Maurice's vocals mixed back are perfect for the theme. The orchestration doesn't swamp Robin, this song is one of great sadness, yet it's a joy to listen to, 5/5

The Richie Havens' version is so peaceful and tranquil, he produced a creditable take on Robin's masterpiece.

Kilburn Towers

Gentle and breezy, this flows from my speakers. The major 7ths give the song it's peaceful nature. A lovely vocal from Bazza. The stereo mix gives air to the mellotron, although the boxy-nature of the snare I'm not too sure about. A sure-fire 5/5

17. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident

A lovely, dreamy song and arrangement - considering it's about sitting in a park, boozing it up with your mates. I did think Barry was singing "little white jerk" at first though!

Jarleboy, lavalamp3, Photon and 3 others like this.
  18. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Kilburn Towers - 3.9/5

This is a really great track, and doesn’t get overwhelmed by I Started A Joke before it. Firmly a favourite, this one.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Kilburn Towers
    Beautiful melody, peaceful quality, pastoral lyrics. I like this one which is new to me and makes my playlist
    Rating 4.5

20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Kilburn Towers

One of my very favourite Bee Gees tracks, and a lovely use of the Mellotron (owing more to Strawberry Fields Forever than to what the Moody Blues were getting up to at the time).

Sadly for me, I didn’t get to hear it until The Studio Albums 1967-1968 box set was released in 2007. Another forty years wasted. :cry:

5/5 (along with a belated 5/5 for I Started A Joke).

21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Kilburn Towers

What a gorgeous sound! Barry’s voice is perfect here, singing a wistful melody, with a beautiful arrangement. I love the flute (which I guess is really a mellotron?).

5/5

22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Indian Gin and Whiskey Dry

I recall hearing this on a compilation many years ago, and thought it was a decent song, nothing special. Listening again today, I realise that memory plays tricks.
    To begin with I remember this as a faster song. Also, maybe my tastes have changed, but I now think the tune has little to recommend it - and it's not as though it's a brilliant set of lyrics to compensate.
    Not enamoured of this one. 2/5.

Jarleboy, Photon, Majk and 2 others like this.
  23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Down To Earth

This one is kind of interesting. Those dark opening chords go well with the word "down". A pleasing change from the previous track which I find too simple; this one harks back to the more complex and quirly sound of some of their early stuff; it reminds me of "Town of Tuxley Toymaker Part 1".
    Robin's voice is better suited to this more sombre and ponderous type of song.
    4/5.

Jarleboy, Photon, Majk and 2 others like this.
  24. Majk

Majk Forum Resident

Kilburn Towers

Timeless. Very pretty. 3.3/5

25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Such a Shame

This sounds very like early Beatles, which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view. Why would I say "bad"? Because if I want to listen to something that sounds like early Beatles, I would rather listen to The Beatles themselves.

An OK song, but very different from the Gibb brothers' style.
    3.5/5.