Woodstock (1969) - movie discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buggsy

Buggsy Forum Resident

unless i should've missed it - has the following question been debated here somewhere?:
    is it known if the original complete albert goodman b&w video tape of the hendrix performance is including the 2 tracks sung by larry lee? as the hendrix estate keeps being adamant to officially suppress them, they certainly didn't feature on the dvd version - but had they been edited out there as well or had goodman maybe decided to not record them in the first place?

2. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Nice edit on 'I'm Going Home' by Ten Years After.. the unedited LONG version is a snorefest.

3. DarylB

DarylB Forum Resident

Does anybody know if any other music festivals before or after Woodstock in 1969 that were filmed?Monterey Pop occurred a couple of years before Woodstock but the thing is the later festival I think is the most popular of all.

4. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

For starters,

A whole bunch of the Newport Folk Festivals with Dylan, Baez, et al.

Isle of Wight, Texas Pop, at least some of Miami Pop. I'm assuming you're just wondering about 60s era. Oh, and Festival Express.

Steve Litos likes this.
  5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I just love woodstock :)

joelee likes this.
  6. DarylB

DarylB Forum Resident

I'm referring to the year 1969,the year of the festivals.

7. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

October 1969

That video features Taste, Deep Purple, Keef Hartley Blues Band, The Nice, Pink Floyd, and Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation Down.

Fleetwood Mac, Yes, Free and others also appeared at the festival

fdog, kees1954, Steve Litos and 2 others like this.
  8. Wayne Hubbard

Jazz Blizen, August 21-24, 1969

Deep Purple, Roland & The Blues Workshop, Humble Pie, Life, Marsha Hunt (backed by Steve Marriott & Peter Frampton from Humble Pie), and Brian Auger.

There's video of Taste, Shocking Blue (performing "Venus") and the Moody Blues out there too.

9. Wayne Hubbard

Texas Pop Festival, August 30 - September 1, 1969

Tony Joe White, Chicago, Ten Years After, Led Zepplin, Janis Joplin and others in the video.

As you can see, they tried to mimic the Woodstock movie a little. The film should really be cleaned up and given a proper release.

There is a lot more footage from festivals from 1970 forward. The success of Woodstock probably had a little something to do with that.

10. simond9x

simond9x Forum Resident

Altamont

11. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

We'll see how that goes with Peter Jackson and Let it Be

12. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Newport 1969

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I've got the fringe box on DVD and the 2014 Blu-ray. Almost all the goodies are different. Weird.

14. psubliminal

psubliminal Forum Resident

It was until 1994, when they came out with the director's cut. Now the original theatrical cut is unavailable. I've long wondered if it's possible to edit down the DC and recreate the theatrical cut from it. I've heard something from the original was replaced with other footage, a crowd scene perhaps, for the DC but I can't recall what.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Warren Hawk likes this.
  15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

The Director's Cut hasn't made Woodstock worse. Only longer. I for one have always loved it. Watched it again with friends a few months ago for the festival's anniversary and had a blast. In fact, we could've used a longer cut. :D

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The final technical specifics for the documentary.

VISUAL: Multiple Screen composited in Techniscope
    AUDIO: 4 track stereo, Dolby A noise reduction

17. Warren Hawk

Warren Hawk Forum Resident

You can almost edit the director's cut into the original. The problem is mainly the Hendrix footage. Where video footage lines up with previously unreleased audio does not match up. You could edit the music part but the video wont be the same during the final moments of the film. Also the song "Woodstock" at the end is the "full version", not the edited version that appeared in the original film. This was done to make room for the credits for the restored film and to show the other performers (Canned Heat, Airplane, Joplin).

18. psubliminal

psubliminal Forum Resident

I'm looking for something on the web that compares the two, showing the exact differences, so I'd know what to cut. The Hendrix segment wouldn't bother me so much as the longer credits and that full "Woodstock." It's been so long since I've seen the original, and my mom's tape from cable is long gone. I thing BRush made a comment earlier here noting what was added. I've never noticed if anybody's tried to do this before; everyone seems to love the DC. Was the original version laserdisc widescreen? I'd just look for a DVD transfer of that if so, and not bother recreating one myself. I really want to see the 1970 version again.

19. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

My Woodstock LD is OAR. How could you even show it without preserving the aspect ratio? My memory is fuzzy on this but I think that Woodstock is the first wide movie I ever saw on TV that wasn't panned & scanned...???

psubliminal likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

do you have the BD of this?

21. Rachael Bee

Yes, I have an edition that came out at least 5 years ago, maybe 10 years ago....??? ….not lately.

22. Michael

is it the same OAR? ...as the BD is mostly pillarboxed...
    [​IMG]

23. Rachael Bee

The LD or the BD? I never had a DVD of it. I skipped a lot of DVD's when they wouldn't be much of an improvement over the LD's. I don't remember any pillarboxing right off hand on BD but it's been some while since I viewed it. There's sure no pillarboxing on the LD set.

24. Michael

thanks, I was referring to the Blu-ray...the copy you own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.