Woodstock Directors Cut for Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by howlinrock, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Well if what is said in this article is true it will be a LOT more footage!

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_id=13285

I'll quote the important bits from this article:

"40th anniversary ultimate collectors edition DVD and Blu-ray Disc"

"The included four-hour director’s cut has been remastered from the film’s original elements, with supervision by director Michael Wadleigh. Original Woodstock chief engineer Eddie Kramer is overseeing the 5.1 audio mix of newly included footage.

The restored and remastered film will include previously unreleased full performances by The Who, Joe Cocker, Canned Heat, Joan Baez, Country Joe McDonald and Country Joe and the Fish, with more to be announced. Special features will include new perspectives from musicians and celebrities on the cultural significance of Woodstock.

Additional special features will include filmmaker commentary; replicas of handwritten notes from festival-goers; a 40-minute documentary film by Robert Kline called “The ’60s and the Woodstock Generation,” adapted from his book Children of the 60s; studio archive letters and other collectible items.
    "

I'll repeat the most important part "previously unreleased FULL performances by THE WHO!!!" Before I get too excited (I know too late) am I reading this wrong? Does "full performance" equal complete set?

TheOx

2. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Guess it's time for me to get a blu-ray player...

3. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

It's interesting how licensing all this material seems to be no problem in Blu-Ray when in HiRez discs it seemed to be very complicated.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Full performance = complete song

No complete sets were filmed, although Jimi comes very close at around 80%. Eveything was a only a couple songs each act.

More Santana would be cool, but since he was unknown outside San fran at the time, it unlikely much more exists.

5. SoundAdvice

Enormous difference in talent budget?

6. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Maybe the talent is becoming more reasonable regarding monetary arrangements.

Does anyone know for sure?

I find it so wasteful that works such as Northern Exposure (TV series) are released with different music because the talent believe they own the series, just because the producers used songs in the show.

7. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Maybe by the 50th Anniversary in 2019 we might get the 8-hour version, who knows...

8. SoundAdvice

Who aside, none of those really seem like headliners to me. Hopefully they're still trying to get approval from bigger names or those that were never originally featured. I wonder if the WHO exchanged clearance for access to all existing footage from their performance?

"musicians and celebrities" could horrible or could be cool. Didn't Debbie Harry or Steven Tyler were in the audience as well as the drummer for The Doors?

9. SoundAdvice

Still won't have more Janis/Sly or any CCR/Neil Young/Dead

10. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. This might be release that would tip the scales for me to finally purchase a BD player. I just can't believe it has been almost 40 years since Woodstock. I recall the summer of 1969 very well.

11. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Eddie Kramer deserves a lot more credit. It's amazing that the tapes from "Woodstock" sound as good as they do. There was little or no contact with the stage, conditions were very primative. His Hendrix and Zep records are still amazing. His live records from the Fillmore East are too.

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That is all true, but that was 40 years ago. I s his hearing up to the task today?

13. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Overall, this is very, very good news.

Yes, we can always lament about the footage that ought to be there but isn't. But if this extended Woodstock (w/ additional "full" performances) is truly hi-def in terms of audio and video, I think we'll all be very happy campers . . . may be not in upstate New York, but at least sharing said experience in front of our hi-def displays.

14. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

A little Drug Store Truck Driving Man, please.:D

15. BRush

BRush Senior Member

If some of you guys want to make a difference. Writing a letter to Jeff Baker at Warner Home Video would put a little more heat on it. Demand to see the additional 8 hours of footage from The Dead, CCR, Band, Baez, Santana, Sly, Havens, ect. One letter equals the amount of about 100 fans. I know it seems ridiculous, but letters make a big difference. Jeff's address is:
    Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd, Bldg 160, Burbank, CA 91505

Please don't mention my name, but this could make the difference between an ok DVD and a great one

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I'd only be interested in it coming out sooner, rather than delaying it by adding more acts.

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'd prefer to wait. I rewatched my Woodstock Lost performances LD and it's good stuff....Crosby, Stills & Nash doing Marakesh Express and a splendid cover of the Beatles' Blackbird. Sly's Love City, Butterfield BLues Band, Tim Hardin, Richie Havens, Country Joe and more. Iif they jus added this stuff, it'd stille be a big boost.

Maybe some of it is on the DVD? I've never seen it.....just the LD's.

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I'm pretty sure the DVD is the same as the LD minus the quality sound. I never did buy the DVD but unfortunately sold the LD box set. What was I thinking?

19. SoundAdvice

"Diaries" is R2 only.

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Yet the audience watch the concert for THREE DAYS!!!
    What a marketing genius that guy was; on the other hand the theaters would have been greatly upset, too say the least, at only being able to selling one seating/showing per day!

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Not me, I watch the girls bathing in the pond for THREE DAYS!!!

22. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Is your LD of "Lost Performances" in Mono or Stereo?
    I thought that show was only available in Mono, or maybe fake stereo

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The 1991 LD says stereo. It sounds fairly good to me. It could be fake? I find it acceptable for live in 1969.

24. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Good move!
    I went too college w/one of them (brunette on log).
    You could always just catch the flick or album. :love:

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I guess it's a mis-print but a brochure enclosed with the recent Matrix Ultimate blu-ray set shows Woodstock as coming soon (in 2008).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.