Woodstock Directors Cut for Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by howlinrock, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

wow thats awesome. can't wait then! thanks!

2. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

IIRC The Texas Chain Saw Massacre was also shot 16mm reversal stock and it is a BIG upgrade from the otherwise fine DVD from a couple years ago (at least on my 92 in. FP set-up). YMMV, but I expect the Woodstock Blu to be worth every penny. Looking forward to it.

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Woops, did I say "Dolby Digital lossless" up above or did my keyboard type that on it's own? Can't edit it now, but what I mean was "lossy" not "lossless".

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I agree!! Who would have thought Texas Chainsaw Massacre could have looked so good? It really makes me think this Woodstock BD has great potential! :thumbsup:

5. You're aware, of course, that Martin Scorsese was one of Wadleigh's camera crew members for "Woodstock The Movie", aren't you?:righton:

6. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Yes, from what I understand, Marty Scorsese helped Wadleigh pick the songs to film at the Festival. He also loaded cameras, and did some editorial work.
    Wadleigh was the real camera ace. He did most of the Close up Hendrix camera work.
    I really wish he had shot more Rock Music. If Wadleigh hadn't filmed it and Eddie Kramer hadn't recorded it, I don't believe that Woodstock would be as revered as it is.

7. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

Thats awesome !! Better start preparing

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

How does the audio on the Woodstock LD compare to the Jimi Blu?

9. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

Leave it to Warners to do an in-depth restoration, they're great! I've been waiting for years to get a better version on home video and here's my chance.

10. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I really hope some Grateful Dead footage finally makes it into a Woodstock release. Yeah, I know it wasn't their best night but it wasn't as bad as legend would have it either. Considering that they, far more than anyone else there, carried on the spirit of Woodstock for decades afterwards it would be a shame for them to continue to not be in the dvd in some form. Even just an incomplete, outtake of a song would be nice.

I'm not counting on it though considering it has never happened before. I know the band members have never liked their performance at the festival but I would hope that they could get past that for the historical value. It's not like they haven't released plenty of other things warts and all. Surely, if any act could get past releasing an imperfect performance for the historical value you would think it would be GD. The earlier comments about some acts being easier to clear than expected and others being the opposite has me going back and forth on GD. Normally, I would expect them to be easier to clear than most acts but Woodstock might be the exception. Really looking forward to this regardless but hoping that maybe this is the time when we finally get some footage of the band most associated with the Woodstock era in many ways long after the festival had faded away for the mainstream.

11. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I agree. All we got so far was "Marijuana, Exhibit A". In the film, and on the soundtrack.

12. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

It's funny how often I talk to people that don't even realize an act like Grateful Dead was at Woodstock if they weren't in the film. There are a fair number of casual music fans out there that don't even realize acts like CCR, The Band, Grateful Dead, etc. were at Woodstock since they didn't see them in the film. Yeah, I know Jerry appears briefly as does the call for John Fogerty over the PA but those are easy to miss.

13. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

I had no clue either until I started reading about the concert. The only artists I knew were the ones from the Directors Cut DVD :(

14. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I'm very much looking forward to this Woodstock 40th Anniversary dvd and will definitely buy it as just the upgrade in picture quality alone combined with extra footage will make it well worth it to me. However, I have a sneaking feeling that it's still going to fall way short from being as inclusive as I would like for it to be. I'm sure there will be yet another edition to mark the 50th anniversary in ten years and maybe that will be the definitive one. By that point though, a good portion of the artists and fans at the event will be gone.

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

50th Anniversary edition? I don't think so, unless they plan on delivering underground with a shovel.

16. raunchy

raunchy New Member

its great warner will deliver lossless audio and not the usually lossy stuff they have a track record of

17. SoundAdvice

Will some of the "Woodstock Diaries" R2 DVD not making it into this project? it was 2-3 hours of footage put together of US TV after 1994 or so.

Are any bands planning seperate releases of their own set?

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here is some information from www.bluray on the Woodstock blu-ray (& DVD). The blu-ray release date has been bumped up to June 9th. I'm am so used to delayed I'm in shock. And there's lots of other info on the release . . . I haven't followed every post so some of it may be old news, but here goes:

Woodstock Blu-ray Pushed Up to June Release

Posted March 11, 2009 04:12 PM by Josh Dreuth

Warner Bros. Warner Home Video has announced that they have bumped up the release date of 'Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music Directors Cut 40th Anniversary Ultimate Collectors Edition' to June 9th, day-and-date with the DVD release. This box set will feature two hours extra hours of performances from 13 groups who played at the legendary festival, but never made it onto the film, along with a reprint of Life magazine commemorative issue, a lucite lenticular display of festival photos, assorted memorabilia and an iron-on patch with the classic bird-and-guitar Woodstock emblem.

Technical specs have not been announced at this time, but you can expect a 1080p VC-1 video presentation along with a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

The disc-by-disc breakdown includes:

* Disc One Film (Director's Cut), Part 1 128:38 min
    * The Museum at BethelWoods: The Story of the Sixties & Woodstock

Disc Two
    * Film (Director's Cut), Part 2 95:34 min

Disc Three
    * Woodstock: Untold Stories 18 Performances as never before seen
    * Woodstock: From Festival to Feature Interviews of the sights and sounds of the 3 day event, from concert goers, promoters, crew and musicians

Exclusive to the Blu-ray release will be:

* Customize Your Own WoodstockPlaylist (from the 18 bonus performances)
    o This feature allows you to customize your own personal jukebox playlist from more than a dozen live Woodstock performances as never been seen.
    * BD-Live features include MediaCenter, My WB Commentary, & Live Community Screening
    o MediaCenteris a hub for trailers, features and content
    + You can get sneak peeks of upcoming Warner Bros. films, and rate trailers
    + You can access to Exclusive Content such as interviews, featurettes, and more only seen through WB BD-Live
    + You can access Photo Galleries and other special features
    o Live Community Screenings allow you to send invitations to fans and friends across the country for virtual screenings at a specified time and chat online with each other as the movie plays on each person's Blu-ray player. You can host your own Live Community Screening with your buddy list or participate in a WB hosted Warner Bros. BD-Live community event
    o My WB Commentary lets you record and post a Picture-in-Picture commentary right over the film, then share it and rate it. Using a web-camera, you can record your own comments and play them back as a Picture-in-Picture feature over the film scene you have chosen and share it with your friends or the entire Warner Bros. BD-Live Community

Additional info:

* Band Roster (22 Bands) Arlo Guthrie
    * Canned Heat
    * Country Joe & the Fish
    * Country Joe McDonald
    * Creedence Clearwater Revival
    * Crosby, Stills, NashGrateful Dead Janis Joplin Jefferson Airplane
    * Jimi Hendrix
    * Joan Baez
    * Joe Cocker
    * John Sebastian
    * Johnny Winter
    * Mountain
    * Paul Butterfield Blues Band
    * Richie Havens
    * Santana
    * Sha-Na-Na
    * Sly & The Family Stone
    * Ten Years After
    * The Who

18 Bonus Performances
    * Joan Baez “One Day at a Time”
    * Country Joe McDonald “Flying High”
    * Santana “Evil Ways”
    * Canned Heat “I'm Her Man” and “On the Road Again”
    * Mountain “Beside the Sea” and “Southbound Train”
    * Grateful Dead “Turn On Your Love Light”
    * Creedence Clearwater Revival “Born on the Bayou”, “I've Put a Spell on You” and “Keep on Chooglin'”
    * The Who “We're Not Going To Take It” and “My Generation”
    * Jefferson Airplane “3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds”
    * Joe Cocker “Something's Coming On”
    * Johnny Winter “Mean Town Blues”
    * Paul Butterfield “Morning Sunrise”
    * Sha Na Na “Teen Angel”

Woodstock: From Festival to Film
    * The Camera: The Éclair NPR was the best camera around in 1969; Michael Wadleigh talks about why the Éclair was the right camera for this film.
    * 365,000 Feet of Film: The stories of how Dale Bell and his crew begged, borrowed and stole just enough film to document the festival.
    * Shooting Stage: Those up-close shots of performers didn't just happen by magic; see how Wadleigh and his cameramen got those up close and personal shots of the performers.
    * The Line Up: The Who, Sha Na Na, Santana, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airplane and many more; how did all these bands get on the roster for the festival of a life time?
    * Holding the Negative Hostage: What does a filmmaker do when Technicolor is sending a copy of your negative to the studio without your permission? Well, you lock up the film and hire a lawyer.
    * Announcements: “Don't take the brown acid” or maybe it was green. We'll hear about all the strange and informative announcements heard during those three days of peace, love and enlightenment.
    * Suits VS. Longhairs: The clash between the hippie filmmakers and the Warner executives who didn't understand what this film meant.
    * Documenting History: Find out from Michael Wadleigh and Dale Bell, along with filmmakers, where the idea of capturing this event on film came from.
    * Woodstock: The Journey: Some came by car, others by truck, a few came by helicopter but most walked to the most famous festival in history.
    * Pre-Production: We'll find out how this production got off the ground and meet the members of the crew that made it happen.
    * Production: How many cameras were used? How much film did they go through? Did anyone sleep? All these questions and more will be answered here as we explore how Woodstock was captured on film.
    * Synchronization: How do you sync all this material with out any slates? No slate, no problem. With the help of an upright Moviola, Dale Bell, Michael Wadleigh, Eddie Kramer and the editors were able to make magic from miles of tape and film.
    * The Crowd: Half a million people of all colors, shapes, sizes, ages and sexes attended this historical event. We'll hear stories about the number of people and how they all coexisted for three days with only minor incidents.
    * No Rain! No Rain!: Everyone talks about the rain at this event as if it were a character. It was. It set the tone, provided moments of danger, fun and disgust.
    * 3 Days in a Truck: Eddie Kramer heard some of the most amazing performances as he recorded this historic event. But during those three days of peace, love and music, he didn't get to see any performances because he was stuck in a truck.
    * WoodstockEffect: The film, the event and the album catapulted many musicians into the limelight, changing their lives forever.
    * Living up to Idealism
    * World's Longest Optical
    * Critical Acclaim
    * Courtesy of The Museum at BethelWoods: The Hog Farm Commune
    * Hugh Hefner and Michael Wadleigh: The WoodstockConnection

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2484

Fantastic news!!!

19. SoundAdvice

This is better than I expected. GD and CCR is very cool. Really smart they didn't double dip on Jimi.

Now to guess who denied permission for bonus cuts: Sly, CSN(Y), Janis, Ravi(?)The Band......

20. raunchy

raunchy New Member

i'm pumped!

21. kevin

kevin Senior Member

It'll be interesting to see how this set compares[audio/video wise]with the Jimi Hendrix At Woodstock blu ray disc.

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I'm hoping for an extended scene of that girl with the frisbee. And the ones bathing also, of course.

23. Man, I can't WAIT for June 9th! CCR on disc 3 of the blu-ray?!? I'm stoked! I wonder who or what persuaded Fogerty to FINALLY let these songs out of the vaults?:edthumbs:

24. SoundAdvice

His wife/manager told him it was a good idea.

Of course, he's back on Fantasy records after it changed ownership and he had his royalties reinstated.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that Neil Young, Janis estate, The Band and Sly declined. Although some allowed extra footage to be used in 1994.

25. THANK YOU, Joy Fogerty!:righton::wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.