Working Girl turns 30!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Torontotom, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't believe this movie is 30 years old. One of my favourite films from the late '80s. Some really terrific performances from Melanie Griffith, Sigourney Weaver, Harrison Ford and scene-stealer Joan Cusack. The brilliant theme song, "Let the River Run" by Carly Simon, which deservedly won the Oscar for Best Song. Those iconic opening (and closing) shots of NYC. Memorable lines like "Coffee... tea... me?" And "I am after all... me".

I still love this film after all this time. Anyone else love this film? Did you see it in the cinemas back in 1988?

Here's a great article about the making of the film. Some really interesting tidbits I didn't know (like the opening song was going to be "Witchy Woman" by The Eagles).

'Working Girl' Turns 30: On-Set Romances and Secrets of the Staten Island Ferry Revealed in Juicy Oral History

Binni likes this.
  2. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. I really liked this movie and Melanie Griffith’s character trying to get ahead in a business world that wasn’t exactly welcoming. And Alec Baldwin was hot, even though he played a jerk.

I can’t believe it’s been 30 years, though. :wtf:

Torontotom likes this.
  3. Torontotom

Yes, Alec was so sexy with all that chest hair :laugh:

(I love that your username is the title of the song they would have went with had they not gone with Carly's song).

Witchy Woman likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

They didn't have the songs performed that year, but the best song was definitely not Let The River Run, which while okay had nothing to do with the movie at all. The best song in a film that year was Calling You performed by Jevetta Steele from Bagdad Cafe.

My wife and I were so disappointed that they didn't include the songs in the telecast, not because we thought Calling You would win - we knew such a tiny film wouldn't have garnered enough attention, but we wanted to see Jevetta perform the song, and everyone in the audience realize that they had voted for the name they knew rather than the best song.

Make no mistake, I love the film Working Girl, I think Carly Simon is brilliant,
    but thought the song was the weakest part of it.

5. Torontotom

Calling You is a brilliant song, for sure. I disagree that Let the River Run was the weakest part of Working Girl but Calling You winning Best Song would have been equally deserving.

superstar19 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My main problem is that Let The River Run doesn't actually have anything to do with the movie as far as I can tell.

But make no mistake I love the film, especially Joan Cusack. "$6000? It's not even leather!"

7. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

She was so great in this movie: “Sometimes I dance around in my underwear in the dark, it doesn’t make me Madonna” ( or something like that)

Somehow the song does fit, imo, although you would think the producers would have gone with something more edgy.

8. Not a fan of the song "Let The River Run", but I enjoyed this movie -flaws and all. The biggest flaw for me was how all the other admins in the office were rooting for Tess to "make it" and get the big break. In reality they would have been back-biting and tearing her down for thinking she was "better than them". Just my own take on it. I loved the way Sigourney Weaver's character was taken down at the end.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Enjoyable film. It was on recently and I caught the rest of it. Joan Cusack is great in it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.