World's Best Cables on Amazon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Dec 3, 2021.

1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Yeah, I saw how WBC on Amazon offers the three different levels of KLEI harmony --- honestly I chose the Eminence gold due to price :), I typically don't like locking connectors, but I look at these as a temporary path until I can build the 2497's I want for the right price ---- and hence the connector search.

$50 for a set of four KLE Copper, or $25 per cable brings the 3ft DIY to about $35.... per cable.... or $70 per pair, and why I'm still looking.

It's still a good savings over the 2497 / KLE retail prices from WBC considering they retail for $120 for 3ft w/ KLE Copper. (so about $50 savings)

The Copper Harmony plugs are the lower tier of the three offered by by KLE and WBC (Silver and Pure are offered for more) on the 2497 --- but it gets pricey as the it's $139 for the Silver and $179 for the Pure on a 3 ft cable.

Anyway, we're just brainstorming / data gathering here. :)

Davey and Ingenieur like this.
  2. TheVinylAddict

LOL, Davey I just recalled I actually started a thread on connectors a couple of months ago.... maybe we should take further discussion on it there....

Sorry OP for the OT....

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

probably OK as are most studio type of cables. studios need mega large runs and buy more for cost and quality than "audiophile" sound.
    there are speaker cables that are more expensive that will let your speakers and system sound better.
    overpriced? for the materials? definitely. however to some it is worth the slight but noticeable improvement. your speakers are worth the cost and effort. maybe down the road do some experimenting. going from good quality studio type cables to lower cost "sweet spot" "audiophile" cables improved transparency and dynamics that was easily noticeable and slightly smoother, sweeter and more pleasing sound.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

I didn't see any 3 foot KLEI copper harmony sets listed, so just compared other lengths, and they were $15 more for the silver harmony connectors, so I subtracted that from the 3 foot silver harmony price of $140, so $125 for the copper 3 foot set. But I didn't realize the Mogami cable was quite that expensive, so you're right, a little more than half the WBC price.

5. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Let me fix that:

each containing an "infinite" number of atoms. :)

Anyone with KLE harmony/ETI research/probably others "single point/low mass" plastic RCA plugs want to estimate the apparent area of metal/metal contact? :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  6. markus53

markus53 Well-Known Member

I can't tell if this thread is specifically focused and limited to the OPs question about the weird looking banana plugs or if it is kind of an umbrella for WBC from Amazon.

Since I'm a satisfied user of two pair of WBC interconnects I thought I'd chime in. The packaging on mine says WBC Gotham AG Switzerland with Amphenol connectors. Since I needed two 15 foot runs, the fancy cables are too expensive. I think these sound great and I'm a satisfied user of them.

aunitedlemon and avanti1960 like this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Well, it was off track on the banana plug question by the third reply, so we just went with it, right or wrong :)

8. avanti1960

I had some Gotham cables- the ones with double Reussen shielding. Good for the money. Very dynamic and clear.

markus53 likes this.
  9. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

If you can't counter published and easily accessible online, researched and measured, industry standard specifications then you have no facts.

10. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Relax
    Belden is good cable
    So is Mogami

There is no 'best', only suitable for the application.

It is the parameters that matter.
    Part of my job is approving and applying cables: power, signal, comm, data.

11. TheVinylAddict

LOL it feels like you think we're arguing, but I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing about?

Maybe you could restate the point you're making here? What are we arguing?

markus53 likes this.
  12. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

13. markus53

markus53 Well-Known Member

What did you replace them with? And was it worth it?

14. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I replaced monoprice with WBC interconnects. Gotham cable and Amphenol connectors. Very well made and solid connection. Can’t say they sound better. I do like how well made they are

Shawn, aunitedlemon and Ingenieur like this.
  15. avanti1960

I replaced them with Van den Hul Hybrid XLR as linked below. I have come to really like the Van den Hul cables. Completely worth it. They have a smoother, more refined sound and more full bodied in the midbass. I have put the gothams back in on occasion and the difference is immediately noticeable- slightly less refined treble, reduced midbass with a thinner more midrange forward sound.
    There might be cables that would let my system sound better than the VdH cables they are as far as I need to go.

Van den Hul D-102 III 3T Hybrid Interconnect

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have purchased numerous Mogami interconnects w/ Amphenol connectors from WBC via Amazon. Buy with confidence, they are well made, priced fairly and they are a reliable vendor.

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Worlds Best Cables came up when I was shopping for an instrument cable with a Neutrik silent connector (they sell some instrument cables advertised as using Mogami cable terminated with a Neutrik silent connector). I also looked up reviews, and found a couple YouTubers who thought the WBC instrument cable might be a foreign knock-off. But they only looked at the cable's apperance superficially, and said they didn't find anything incorrect.

However, there were too many red flags for me personally to buy the instrument cable. The company is a bit of smoke and mirrors on its website registration and address. It is not unusual for companies to hide their website registration. And it is not unusual for companies to list a Delaware corporate services vendor's address as their address. I suppose I could rationalize why the company distances itself. (I found it amusing that in one of the YouTube videos I saw, the person said the package's claim of a "10 Year Replacement Warranty" was a good sign the product seemed legit, but separately in the video said they had trouble figuring out how to even contact the company.)

A little further digging turns up that the company is owned by Perstaff Holdings in Sri Lanka. They also make Audioblast cables, which is a Taiwan manufactured cable. The Eminance connectors used on some of their products, including their WBC line, is their in-house connector.

Manufacturing is very high quality in places like China -- iPhones are manufactured there. While there are cheap looking watches and designer goods made there, there are also very high quality knockoffs that are impossible to tell from the real thing superficially. David Lee Roth's autobiography talks about how when he tried to uncover where counterfeit band t-shirts were made, he found out that the factories making the legit t-shirts would bring in an overnight shift to make the counterfeits at the same factory, with different materials. It always makes me cautious about buying from manufacturers of unknown origins, or who may source their parts from unknown origins.

This is not to say anything is counterfeit. But I personally find if I have to jump through mental rationalizations, it's not something I'm going to buy. The WBC instrument cable was priced low, though, and I'm sure it works fine for its purpose. I do buy cables from Monoprice, but they are forthcoming about where they source their stuff, and priced accordingly for that.

condorsat, PATB and ribonucleic like this.
  18. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Regarding questions about WBC. Anyone who would rather deal closer to home can have the same spec cables fabricated by a pro audio shop. Typically, length, cable type, color, and termination can be specified to order. Such outfits make a lot of cables, and the one I've used (ProAudioLA) always has done a great job. I have also run into Zen Pro Audio in South Carolina, who sell theirs as "Zombie Cables" and who had a lot of fans on a pro audio forum I used to read. So one can get, e.g., Mogami/Neutrik cables made to order and deal with someone with a US storefront, an email that's answered by a named person, and even a phone number.

This is not a knock on WBC -- I've never heard a negative comment from a buyer. I just prefer the more local option, with more choices as to length, etc.

Turnaround and aunitedlemon like this.
  19. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

I've purchased several WBC cables for houses of worship and they all work beautifully and have the actual connectors mentioned in the description, no knockoffs.

I'd never use one in an audiophile system, but for pro audio they're a go-to.

20. I'm with you on this one @Tim 2

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Does having a cable company bold enough to name their product 'world's best' simply prove that all cables sound very similar?

I'm sure a new watch company or car company selling products at competative prices would not get away with calling their fledgling company 'world's best'

22. james

james Summon The Queen

I purchased a couple different pairs of their speaker jumpers off of Amazon and was very impressed with the quality.

I also cannot hear the difference between cables.

23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yes but most all cable suppliers don't make much of anything, they assemble purchased components.

Mike-48 and Boltman92124 like this.
  24. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I’m quite happy with WBC cables

25. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

They just assemble cable and terminations made by Mogami, Belden, Amphenol, Eminence and others. I don't think any of it is counterfeit.[/QUOTE]

Triffid likes this.