World's fastest guitar player

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The delay?

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Pablo Soler has always been a cult youtube favorite

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Pretty sure Matthew Mills hand is a spider

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Even with the delay, the "Fastest Guitar Player" guy in the clip could probably not play the Bettencourt piece at the speed he plays it. There is a big difference between the two pieces. The way Singh plays the piece, it allows him to play it that "fast". He really is not playing the piece though.
    That is a good point you raise though about the delay.

5. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Sorry, but I can play John Cage's 4'33" on the guitar at least twice as fast as that.

MungoMusic and speedracer like this.
  6. Yep. Funny how most supposed speed demons play with such crappy, distorted tone that it’s hard to tell whether they’re playing with any precision or just hitting a lot of notes and picking fast.

Fabrice Outside, Mad shadows and SRC like this.
  7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Oddly, this thread is now up to four pages, and No one has mentioned Danny Gatton?
    Not only was he one of the best guitarists who ever lived, but was the fastest (when he wanted to be)
    I've ever heard.
    Here he is in his famous recording from 1981 with Robert Gordon doing "Love My Baby". Simply
    a jaw dropping extended solo.

Dave Mac, DJ LX, speedracer and 3 others like this.
  8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

And one more by Danny Gatton. This is the recording where he pays tribute to the guitarists
    that influenced him when he first, as a kid, learned to play the guitar while listening to their
    records (Cliff Gallup, Les Paul, etc). Thing is, when he played Les Paul records, he didn't know that
    Les achieved his guitar sounds through overdubbing/multi tracking. He just learned to play
    ALL of the notes at once. And you can hear it on this recording...

willy, Dave Mac, speedracer and 2 others like this.
  9. Odradek

Odradek Forum Resident

For an incredibly fast guitarist who is always absolutely musical and listenable, Jimmy Bryant is another good choice.

This does not sound at all forced, it sounds relaxed. Paradoxically even kind of languid, thanks to the steel playing of Speedy West.

10. Skull

Skull Forum Resident

I was thiiiiis close to seeing them before Mike passed away...ugh...

Yeah, RM - S/T is a monster! Been following them since the beginning. Posted the Ministry song because it is thee single fasted (and still melodic like you said!) song I've ever heard in my life! LOL! :laugh:

Have everything they did (even new album) but trying to get a nice copy of Freaks on vinyl. (You should see the movie if you get a chance. About a bunch of lunatics pushing the limit. Like all of us Metalheads from back then, ha!)

BTW, love the avatar. Massive influence on me. Miss him everyday (Been listening to a lot of Bloody Kisses recently after a 20 year hiatus).

11. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

12. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Roy Clark. Not the fastest but a whole lot going on..

13. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Sounds like an inprov of "Flight of the Bumblebee."

Zack likes this.
  14. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

snore…these guys should just race cars to get their nut

15. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Just for kicks, I'll throw this one into the ring. The real "fun" begins at the 2:15 mark. Disclaimer, not exactly my style of music.

speedracer and Fabrice Outside like this.
  16. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

It's always nice to see people crap all over someone else's accomplishments. Such an inspiring thread.

Billy Infinity and speedracer like this.
  17. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Probably Leo Kotke. But he does nothing for me.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Posts like the original here only act as a catalyst for people to $hit over anyone who can play fast.

PopularChuck and Billy Infinity like this.
  19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

[​IMG] :D

20. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Well, don't keep us guessing what the "right" answer is. :laugh: (I am actually interested.)

In the OP's first post (the player's correct name is Nirvana Bista, not Singh), there is a point at 0:18 of the video where Nirvana Bista's right hand reaches down to adjust his knobs, while his left hand is playing hammer-on's to keep the notes going. So he's not even using his right hand to play at that point.

Which sort of begs the question, exactly how are we measuring fast playing? Because different techniques create totally different speeds. Do hammer-on's count? Does sweep picking count?

I was looking around the Internet, and found this this video by John "Dr. Hot Licks" Taylor, who holds the Guinness world record for fastest guitar player, before Guinness froze the category in 2012. It's a tearful video: "After learning more about my playing, I decided to take a look at the original footage sent to Guinness. I did not pick every note in my performance. Therefore, I did not break a world record. I truly believe that any guitar speed record needs to have every single note being picked. Because I did not do what I said needs to be done, I want to tell everyone the truth."

I also found some footage of John Taylor playing fast (Flight of the Bumblebee), and his left hand fret and string notes are very different than Nirvana's, which also makes his right hand technique different as he goes up and down strings. All of this makes it hard to compare the two directly head-to-head.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Doesn't Paul Gilbert usually top "fastest" lists?

22. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

@ 1:30 I might take it to the next level with my Dremel tool.

Fischman likes this.
  23. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Fastest guitar players have been around on decades of match but none still have atleast "1" hit record....:laughup:

24. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

He's is a much different guitar player today. In my opinion way better.

25. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Holy Hyperactive Arpeggios, Batman!

PopularChuck and Swordsandchains like this.