Worst album or compilation idea?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaleClark, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Steely Dan - Gold, the expanded CD version.
    As a record or tape it made perfect sense as a companion to Greatest Hits, but Greatest Hits didn’t get a CD release, and on its own the Gold track listing is just a weird mishmash not helped at all by the bonus songs.

Keith V likes this.
  2. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I'm confused -- I guess the CD A Decade of Steely Dan (which one of my college roommates had in the '80s) was intended to replace Gold?

If memory serves, didn't Gold come out earlier and is not career-encompassing? (when I say "career-encompassing" I mean through Hey Nineteen)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

We used to stock this and the cover made me giggle plenty. Oh those punk rock kids.

[​IMG]

warewolf95, LoveYourLife and Gollum like this.
  4. Besides that few, if any pop or rock or prog artists write music which sounds anything but pedestrian when performed by quartets...

Wounded Land likes this.
  5. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

The Deluxe Edition of Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell. A single disc remaster with a few bonus tracks would have sufficed. The deluxe really pads things out with tracks that only the most random of collectors would need, such as the "Longer But Not Not As Long As The Album Version" edit of "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)."

As someone who used to work for the distribution company, I can tell you that they way over-pressed on this one, and I believe about 16,000 copies came back and were eventually destroyed. That means 16,000 fold-open packages with 2 plastic trays each, 16,000 plastic "Deluxe Edition" O-card sleeves, and 32,000 actual discs. So much for the environment!

warewolf95 and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I totally forgot about that one.

Jethro Tull: Repeat fits the bill if not seen as a Greatest Hits Vol. 2.

Kink Kronikles as great as it is, omits all the early hits. (Because of record company stuff).

Jethro Tull’s Living in the Past would theoretically have Aqualung on it but I suppose it succeeds in collecting all the singles from 68-72. So never mind.

The John Lennon Collection is very uneven because it’s mostly Double Fantasy stuff, which only makes sense when you realize that album originally came out on Geffen.

7. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Listened to Joel Grey's White Room and Julie London's Louie Louie and quite enjoyed them...

Then Percy Faith's "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" (really quite fun) before hitting something truly ghastly "Revolution" by the Lettermen.

8. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

Not a fan of any of them,to me they are like a 45 ,my ex-wife till she met me would hear a song on the radio and buy the 45 but never listen to the album and miss out on some great songs like she never heard the song The BallTrap,but she loved tonights the night, love old Rod Stewart stuff.

9. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I can't find a track listing, but just based on the hilarious artist/title/cover combination, I have to imagine this qualifies:

[​IMG]

phillyal1 likes this.
  10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It does have the relative rarity Dr. Jeckyl And Mr. Hyde.

11. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

And yet, (as part of the "My Generation/Magic Bus combo) this was my introduction to the "early" Who material. I came in at "Who Are You". I absolutely LOVED this album. I still play this often.

Hammerpeg and Fullbug like this.
  12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I think it’s kinda cool.
    Some hits, some less obvious gems and some relative (solo)rarities. If it were a collection of forgettable demo’s or something it would have been different, but this collection I think is rather enjoyable.
    A bit like the Stones’ Flowers.

13. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident

Ozzy Osborne sings religious folk songs for the kiddies.

14. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

The best Captain Kangaroo farts! Featuring a duet-toot with Mr Green Jeans.

15. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

My dad has the single-disc Byrds comp ‘20 Essential Tracks from the Box Set.’ Those 20 tracks include all 4 newly-recorded (1990) reunion numbers from that box set, which are far from essential.

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

17. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I like this album. I might even prefer it to The Who Sell Out. :shh:

18. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Yeah, but judging by the sleeve notes to the first "Scoop" even Pete was unaware of "Melancholia" having been done by The Who

19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Uncle Miles likes this.
  20. django68

django68 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bob Marley re-imagined for fans of all ages.

Bonus activities for kids inside plus receive a one-year subscription to "Parents Magazine".

Mark B. likes this.
  21. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have several String Quartet Tribute CDs that I really enjoy:

Black Sabbath (my favorite)
    Iron Maiden
    Tori Amos
    Enya
    Neil Young
    Madonna
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Metallica
    Nirvana
    U2
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Rush

I also have a Piano Tribute to Iron Maiden which is awesome.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I find that the lack of Rebel Yell is a far bigger omission.

23. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Allegedly, Tony (Bennett) actually vomited before the first session for this album...

[​IMG]

Mylene and Natural E like this.
  24. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Too many Neil Diamond hits albums that don’t tell you they’re re-recorded until you open it up and play it. One particularly notorious one had a black cover, can’t remember the exact name, probably about 20 years ago.

25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Not a compilation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.