Worst Banshees song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Magic Woman, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m starting this thread because I think the Banshees are so freakin talented they don’t have ANY bad song. I may exaggerate, but even the Beatles have some bad, horrible songs but I can’t think any of the Banshees and asking which song is the best would be too easy.
    So, what do you think is the less impressive Siouxsie & the Banshees song?

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Lord's Prayer. Edit it down to 5-7 minutes and it would be decent, but as is it's a lot of filler, like a band getting forced into doing that second album before they had all the material to do it right.

rikki nadir, Mitland, Aurora and 4 others like this.
  3. Black Magic Woman

Well, yeah, it could be. 14 minutes is too much.

4. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

A disgrace to the original

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  5. Black Magic Woman

There’s no way I could ever agree with you on this one haha.

6. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

nah, Dear Prudence was great -- it's Peek a Boo for sure

ganma, Jimbo912, Tanx and 2 others like this.
  7. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Oh yeah, their Dear Prudence was really very good, no disgrace there at all - they did a great 80's version that kept respect to the original.

And actually, as a guy that grew up with Beatles in the late 60's, dare I say that I like the Banshees version better than the original (and yeah, I do).

8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Not a personal favorite-
    Are You Still Dying Darling?, 1988

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I'm not familiar with the Banshee's entire catalog, but I love Peek A Boo lol

10. Black Magic Woman

Uhm, yeah, Peek a Boo isn’t a song I would recommend.

11. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Peek-A-Boo is my favorite Banshees song.
    If the worst isn't The Lord's Prayer, then it's probably (There's a) Planet in My Kitchen.

Neonbeam and Black Magic Woman like this.
  12. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

I'd have to disagree with the premise here: the Banshees are my favourite band of the late seventies and early eighties, but I think they were very patchy and, depending on their frame of mind, could be absolutely brilliant or simply repeat themselves ad infinitum.

But their very, very worst song? Maybe "Head Cut", which is simply tuneless goth drivel.

Black Magic Woman and Mr Sam like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I find it hard to enjoy "The Lord's Prayer". It's not related to it being long, it just goes nowhere.

14. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I think Headcut is among the very best on JuJu. Voodoo Dolly, on the other hand, I'd be tempted to call tuneless goth drivel.

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Actually, This was a "now or never" situation - this was their most notorious track but by the time they came to do it, the band lineup was 50% changed from the original gig so it was never going to be the same. Of course, the lineup changed between this album and the next but that time they became non-punk and more musically proficient.

It's funny how they had to credit Bob Dylan on this when they use about 10 seconds of "Knocking on Heavens Door", and not The Legendary Stardust Cowboy when they use much more of "Who's That Knocking On My Door" on it.

16. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Not only am I in agreement with you but I thought it was a consensus that they belonged to the "though patchy" category of "major"/"brilliant" bands.
    With that being said, I.....quite like Lord's Prayer (my second favorite from Join Hands, after "Icon").

17. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Some of the Superstition singles were weak. Fear of the Unknown comes to mind
    One of my favorite bands, for sure

18. Black Magic Woman

I actually like Voodoo Dolly haha. Well, I don’t think there’s a bad song on Juju.

Droogmeister and factory44 like this.
  19. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I don't actually think it's drivel, and I remember liking it at their gigs back in 81, but it hasn't really aged too well. The rest of Juju is certainly very good.

I can't think of anything really bad in their back catalogue from The Scream up to their Looking Glass album, but maybe there are a few stinkers after that. I wouldn't know since I highly rate the 78 to 83 period and never bought any of their post Tinderbox records.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Another vote for Lords Prayer.

royzak2000 and Black Magic Woman like this.
  21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I never developed any soft spot for "Hyaena". Even the few songs I still listen to (e.g., "Dazzle") are obvious to me, a guilty pleasure, and, yeah, if my mood is just right, "tuneless goth drivel".

"Dear Prudence" kills, of course, but I bought it as a 7" single separate from the album, so I don't think of them as a piece. I always think of DP as something thrown on the album to improve it.

And add me in as someone saying "Juju" is as close as they've ever gotten to a perfect album.

22. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

As controversial as some of these may be, I list the following:

Nightshift
    Peek-a-boo
    Dear Prudence
    Cities in Dust
    Israel
    Happy House
    Supernatural Thing
    The Lonely One
    Mother (Oh Mein Papa)
    Did I mention Nightshift?

23. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Aside from the questionable production, Hyaena is one of my top Banshees albums. And definitely contains two of their best singles in Dazzle and Swimming Horses.

SteveCooks likes this.
  24. Black Magic Woman

Ok, I don’t agree with any of this haha. I like very much Dear Prudence, Cities in Dust, Israel, Happy House, Nightshift. Definitely your list is controversial lol

Jeremy Holiday likes this.
  25. Black Magic Woman

Juju is their best album, I’d say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.