Worst RSD 2019 releases.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pauluz, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Apparently there's also been some dispute about whether those really are the Woodstock versions of the Arlo and CSNY tracks.

2. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

They're not.

Further, DTK, bRETT and 1 other person like this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I didn't buy it, but I was surprised to hear about it. I just assumed REM had a proper recording of it if they were actually going to release and charge money for it. (Especially since it's so similar to the Unplugged and Mountain Stage shows released in recent years) I'm glad I didn't bother leaving my house on Saturday for it.

Alan57 likes this.
  4. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Van Morrison- Astral Weeks Alternate.

I paid AU$40 for this because it’s one of my favourite albums.

But I suffered buyers remorse when I listened and the SQ wasn’t great and the ‘extended’ mixes of the tracks on side B offered nothing really new or necessary.

hi_watt and uzn007 like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

So they're different non-Woodstock versions than appear on the original album?

6. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Same as the original album, different mixes. Arlo seems to be from the promo folddown, Madness a mono rough mix.

DTK and bRETT like this.
  7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I paid about the same.

In what respect did you find the SQ lacking?

These are the AVs from the CD release from a few years back. They indeed prove that the original versions are best. Neverthless, I don't think that this is one of the worst releases.

kronning, sonofjim, lucan_g and 2 others like this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree. This one sounds pretty good.

kronning and dee like this.
  9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

The sound just feels a bit flat and lifeless to me.
    But I am used to the Kevin Grey cut of the original album, so standards are high I guess!

I put on Jeff Tweedy’s Warmer straight after and the difference was incredible.

10. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Thought the SQ was pretty good and at the original price of $14-15 US, a fair deal. At inflated prices, maybe not, but this wasn’t so hard to find here.

kronning, dee, jgrillo and 1 other person like this.
  11. TStranko

TStranko Well-Known Member

Almost bought Woodstock but glad I passed due to the price. I did pickup Joplin Woodstock online for a fair price Sunday but haven't received it yet. So from what I'm reading on here, the Joplin one sounds good?

12. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Don't believe everything you read. It doesn't sound nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. I'm very glad I bought it, but I don't have any of the releases you mention, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

13. kipco

kipco Well-Known Member

The Twink "Think Pink" was advertised as being a two record set, one a never-before-released "mono" mix, the other eight bonus tracks.

I paid for it, I opened it, I played it, and there were no bonus tracks, just a mono and a stereo version of the same commercially available LP.

Since I already own a US original, the stereo LP was pointless and the mono is OK but not significantly different or necessarily an improvement. The inserts were nice but the package was not worth the $38 that I paid for it without the bonus tracks.

My Pink Floyd "Saucerful" played fine.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Lefty Wright

Lefty Wright Forum Resident

Says the guy with a pic of Malcom Young as his avatar

Jimijam, Guy Smiley, IFP and 3 others like this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Is it really just the commonly circulated audience recording pressed to LP though?

You should definitely get the Unplugged one, it's available as a standalone release and is a really essential listen, IMO. Mountain Stage sounds really good as well but is more or less the same acoustic set as Unplugged, so it's a bit redundant.

16. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'm sorry to hear that they've dropped the ball on quality. I have the reissue of the US version of this, Beggars Banquet, and Let It Bleed, all on clear vinyl, and they're of excellent quality.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Anyone listen to the Badfinger RSD yet? I'm still up in the air about getting this one since people have stated the deluxe cds sound bad. Just wondering if it's worth forking out money for a better mastering.

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Badfinger: So Fine ---

I have. Mine was defective. Scratch on side D right where Should I Smoke was. Real bummer. Deep too. I think they're hiring mice and moles at the pressing plants.

BUT YMMV ! ! I sure as heck hope so. I ordered another copy and I'm waiting like a lot of you are for their MAIN wants. This is what sucks about RSD.

Mastering is good but still has the same compression that was heard on the WB CDs from Germany. Nothing sounds any better than that. The fact you get the different mixes is nice, the red vinyl is actually orange and the package is somewhat ordinary. Cutting is good.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    granata likes this.
  19. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

The Dead, Floyd, and AC/DC ALL top-quality bands in my book

seed_drill, Efus and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Lefty Wright

Lefty Wright Forum Resident

I agree.

Anyway something strange about the Dead Warfield LP release: when playing the vinyl last night, I had to turn to volume to -1.5 to get the same level I normally get with -15. I test another LP and the volume level was normal. The Dead vinyl are usually inconsistent and often poor (except AP Recknoning). Anyone else notice this?

21. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

If there was an announcement that a long lost stereo LP recorded by the Beatles was being released there would be those that would say "I'm in if they release it in mono". Yes, there is a place for mono but to some it seems an obsession.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Get lost. Lefty Wrong.

Leepal and Lefty Wright like this.
  23. TStranko

TStranko Well-Known Member

Mine is sitting unopened still and dying to try it out but have a 12 week old little girl who's sick... no time :( I'll let you know when do

Lefty Wright likes this.
  24. Mine looks quite dirty but has no scratches. The occasional pop is there but only emphasised by having to jack up the volume due to being cut so low. I'm surprised at how decent it sounds.

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have those as well (well as Hot Rocks and THAT pressing of TTPD). i don't know what 's going on as of late. At the 'suggestion" of another poster (Tommy Boy), I sent ABKCO an E mail with my complain (as he did and, predictably, has gotten no response).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.