Would you bother with a CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hab, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

Beogram CD 3500

bever70 likes this.
  2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Why is that?

Randoms likes this.
  3. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Yes I “bother” with a CD player daily. Although my Marantz CD6006 is far from high end it sounds good to me and has played flawlessly for 2 years. If I ever have an issue with it I’d probably look at a cd transport since my Cambridge integrated amp has a DAC.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You're more high than me and my old CD5003 with my old CS4392 DAC. You have the CS4398 DAC. I'm envious, although I still like my old player.

Dan Steele likes this.
  5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

The question was, "who is going to punish/arrest you?

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I keep all the cd's and records I buy.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I honestly can’t comprehend the desire to sell any of them. CDs are pretty easy to pack up and store (they are compact, after all).

8. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I"ve been using DVD and Blueray players for playing CD's for almost 20 years. My last dedicated CD player failed about 20 years ago.

The annoyance today is that my latest player only has HDMI out. My TV has no RCA out and my hi-fi is 70's vintage. I had to buy an adapter that converts an hdmi out (from the TV) to RCA.

I'm sure there is no fidelity loss there. :D

inperson likes this.
  9. brushwg

brushwg Forum Resident

I’ve just given up on Roon and streaming and gone back to CDs. Absolutely loving them and about to order 90 and would love a new CD player. That’s me for life. Tried all the other ways and gone back to something I love, no computers or tablets, no distractions, always works, simple and can find a track within seconds of pulling CD off the shelf.

10. Vinyl is final

We have a couple hundred DVD's and BlueRays. We only keep the disc and throw away the box.

11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

You don't keep the papers or inserts?

12. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Just get on ebay and buy a decent vintage CD player. I have bought 4 cd players in the past year or so and all of them have been fine and work perfectly. One I sent back because the circuit board got broken in shipping.

13. Vinyl is final

Nothing. Just the disks. We don't buy them to collect. We just want them to be around to watch. We dumped TV in 1998 so we lived by tapes and DVDs and, in the end, BlueRays. We bought a lot of stuff at first from Pawn shops used.

inperson likes this.
  14. Vinyl is final

We find that DVD players tend to last about two years before they become extremely sensitive and skip too much. But at $35 a pop, so what? I wear hearing aids (decades playing bass next to too loud drummers) and my wife just listens as background music.

i.e. the law of diminishing returns regarding player sound quality kicks in early for me. :)

15. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Wow...a "vintage" cord-cutter! :righton:

16. Vinyl is final

It changed my life. It allowed me to meet my wife and gave me time to become a bass player. :)

4_everyman likes this.
  17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Funny, I did the same in 1997. :) But never parted with a CD player.

18. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I have little interest in TV...now it's that darn internet I need to dump :sigh:

bever70 likes this.
  19. Vinyl is final

Actually, it was april of 1997 for me. And no, I had a CD player until 2000. Actually, I had two. they were identical front loaders in dark brown plastic and had a numeric keyboard for track selection. Sony or Teac. I forget which. They both died.

jay.dee likes this.
  20. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Similar case here; I got my first CD player, a Panasonic mini-tower with a double deck cassette player included, around 1998, I think.

Paradoxically, I had started to buy CDs a few years earlier, asking my friends to copy them onto blank cassettes (I had been "ripping" my CDs before the proper ripping entered the stage!), but after a (good) while I realized that it would be easier to have an own CD player and play them myself. And that was a death blow to my cassette collection! :D

21. Vinyl is final

It killed cassette and records for me. But I came back to records after about a decade. Cassette will be forever only a fun historic thing for me - like my small collection of 78's. But to play them I kept my favorite "over the top" cassette player of all time. It's not the best sounding, but for me it's the 1959 pink Cadillac convertible of cassette decks: Pioneer CT-F1250. :)

jay.dee likes this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The move away from including output options was surprising and frustrating to me when I looked at UHD Blu-ray players after getting a 4K TV last year. The Blu-ray player I have now includes HDMI, S/PDIF coax, and analog RCA outs. I understand why there is less demand for non-HDMI connections now, but it seems a lot of the lower-cost players on the market now are not conducive to CD playback in a 2-channel system.

23. Vinyl is final

I think the real problem is that if they are trying to cut costs, the natural thing to cut is the RCA plugs. It's like removing the ash tray from a car. Most won't care?

My biggest gripe, though, is that my $20 converter sometimes has problems with one channel or the other cutting out. :(

It's been pretty stable lately, but it used to be a problem. I'm actually considering dumping all the vintage stuff and going with that $400 receiver at Costco that's 5.1 or 7.1 or 32.1 or something surround sound and just be done with the whole thing.

Sometimes we are all like a bunch of teenagers constantly fiddling with our souped up 10 year old honda civic when we need to just be moving on to a Camry and/or Posche 911.

bever70 likes this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The lack of RCA outs isn’t even that big a deal to me, since I would probably prefer a DAC other than the one built into an inexpensive Blu-ray player. However, when I see them without a coax or TOSlink, that’s automatically useless to me. Thankfully, that still doesn’t seem to be as widespread an omission.

25. brushwg

brushwg Forum Resident

Your DVD players only last 2 years. Where do you live, Chernobyl?

BuckNaked, Mbe, bever70 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.