Would you pay $11,000 or more for speakers if the cabinet was made in China??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

A discerning market too. AVI are selling plenty of their DM12 actives over there.

2. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Check out the GDP per Capita Comparison between China and United States. Ratio Shmasio....

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Last I checked, China is not even in the top 50 in the world when it comes to income per capita ...

This is the law of the large multiplier - a factor of one vs a factor of five.

4. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I didn't mean nominal GDP. Check the GDP PPP.

5. coopmv

Not a believer in GDP PPP. Like some people, I don't even believe the GDP reported by China. When the leadership there says it wants the GDP to be 6.5%, every province will fudge their numbers to make sure they hit the mark.

6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Same here and agree, American/European products break down as much or more at times. John M.

7. coopmv

That is done on purpose. They have to have planned obsolescence to ensure customers will return for future products.

8. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

The conspiracy side of my brain always thought this, after all repeat purchases are the best way toward repeat business $$.John M.

9. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Um, don't buy it. Audio pricing is all about delivered performance, not manufacturing cost.

10. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Would you pay $11,000 or more for speakers if the cabinet was made in China??

NO!!

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Only if the cabinet WERE made in China:winkgrin:

Brother_Rael and ScottRiqui like this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

No just no, but HELLS no!!

13. coopmv

:agree:

14. coopmv

Using the wood/lumber harvested from the Amazon rain forest ... :winkgrin:

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. coopmv

16. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

Oh man...

Being an American...the only American company I have bought stereo equipment from is BOSE and Polk. And it seems lots of people on here snicker at the home town companies. ?,.

I’ve bought a lot of Bose stuff over the years...outdoor speakers, acoustimas (they were a present), center channel, headphones in ear, noise cancelling ones, sounddock...All made in China

Then Polk, satellite surrounds, US company, products made in China.

Then all my equipment throughout the years...Japanese Companies...Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony, Yamaha. I think a majority made in Taiwan until recently.

My newest purchases were from an Italian company, Sonus Faber. Their Venere line is made in China, which I bought and think is top notch. Then they ditched manufacturing in China and went back to Italy... after hearing about that it did make me want to buy their Sonetto II’s even more.

...the speakers are still piped through Japanese equipment, played on Japanese turntables, disk players and transports, with records made in America...my old cassette tapes though, Maxell XL II’s....Japanese....:)

Japanese and Americans get music, with some help by the Italians and English for producing sound...;)

17. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Your title does not accurately reflect the point of your post beneath it. Your title is about buying luxury goods made in Chine whereas your point is more about the manufacturers being honest.

I have no problem buying a product made in China as long as there is a reputable brand standing behind it (and yes - the reputable brand might be Chinese as well). The reputable brand is there to ensure customer support and the quality aspects that can not be checked on purchase (quality of materials, design and longevity). Given those two are available, it's a matter of price/performance ratio that is entirely based on my subjective assessment and the products country of origin is irrelevant.

AS far as your main point is concerned - I would never knowingly buy a product from a manufacturer who is intentionally hiding information that might be essential for my decision to chose their product. This is the very definition of FRAUD.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

A hard “ Hell to the no!”

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The same but they make less profit. Just being cynical but that is how the high end hi-fi industry now works. I would give you the same answer in regard to Dyson vacuum cleaners and their projected electric cars which should be providing UK employment.

20. coopmv

Love my Dyson vacuum cleaner, the best I have ever owned ... :righton::agree:

21. TheVinylAddict

Still --- not just no, but hells no.

22. Brother_Rael

Still yes, hell yes.

nm_west likes this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

LOL, so is the appropriate reply now one in bold, caps and bigger font? Or do we progress step by step, larger font, then bold, then caps?

Cheers

24. Brother_Rael

I guess you can choose to post a you see fit, no?

25. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

To answer the question, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.