Wow! Led Zeppelin I test pressing on eBay

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by TLMusic, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector Thread Starter

There is a very authentic looking white label test pressing of Led Zeppelin I on eBay right now.

And, here's the deadwax info according to the ad:

MATRIX STAMP IN TRAIL-OFF VINYL (DEAD WAX) OF THE RECORD:

- SIDE 1: ST-A-681461-A (AT) (LW)(RG) (W)
    - SIDE 2: ST-A-681462-A (AT) (LW)(RG) (W)

These are the probable 1st matrices for the US cut of Zep I, in case anybody wants to know them. Maybe there's a $8 copy at your local used record store cut from the exact same lacquers.

The ad won't be up for long, but it's worth a look for historical purposes (I have absolutely no connection with the seller.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...633199&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5973wt_882

2. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

That looks amazing.

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Yes; does Bob issue sunglasses? :cool:

I think that's my favorite -A. Not surprised at the bid level.

4. TLMusic

Since there's no "at/gp" in the deadwax, who do you think cut that record? Was it cut in the US at Atlantic Studios, or perhaps did that very first lacquer come from England?

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

No, not anything like the UK. May be unsigned, but if it's the same as mine it's way too quiet to be George's. He was fairly helpful in putting a lot of level on a disc, he'd been doing that since the Mercury days. Definitely Atlantic's cut.

6. TLMusic

:cool: Great information, thanks!

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I don't think Piros started using at@gp, AT/GP until a bit later; Certainly by 1971 (LZ4) he was using it. not even sure when he started work for Atlantic, though some of the earlier Rock canon seems to be his style. I'm thinking of Buffalo Springfield, and Disraeli Gears. Those are certainly not quiet records.

I'm glad we're still unearthing stuff about all this, even on 'classic' albums like LZ1.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Record Collector did an article on LZ 1 rarities
    last year. gonna dig it out tonight.
    This guy likes the word Insanely.

Darryl

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I wouldn't buy anything from a guy who writes ads like this guy. Terribly written, horribly messy, unnecessary use of font changes and noisy backgrounds. I pretty much HATE the ads, and hate even having to read them.

The pictures of the item are OK. That's about the only nice thing I can say.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

They are garish but I've bought from him once before and the transaction went well. He's got some pretty amazing stuff. It's a shame much of the important detail is lost in the presentation.

Eddie

11. TLMusic

Bidding has been up to $2,026.00 for a while.

I wonder how high it will go....

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Probably the only copy that will ever be offered on eBay.
    Bet he says that about all his items too. :rolleyes:

Darryl

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Amazingly offensive ads.

The photos are OK but the item is in poor condition.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, I agree. They talk down to the buyer, and present the records as if buyer is just off the farm. Perhaps his buyers are just off the farm? You would have ot be rich and pretty dumb to pay some of the prices his records fetch.

I saw him get $190.00 for Joni Mitchell's Hijera still sealed. That album was a pretty poor seller at the time, and was discounted in the racks, as well as dumped by the thousands into the cut out bins.

Other records I have seen sell for $75 to $100 that are worth $25 to $40 on a good day.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well its hardly his fault that people want to pay that much. I wish I could get people to pay more than double what my records are worth!

Eddie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.