X-Files remastered for HD and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jim in Houston, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nothing mentioned so far. No exclusives. Box is designed to hold the upcoming mini-series.

2. I would have been ok with everything in the way of extras on separate discs particularly since a lot were probably shot on standard def videotape.

3. The $150 sale at Foxconnect supposedly ends this weekend. It was meant to coincide with the New York Comic Con happening this weekend. I think it's a great price for nine seasons that have been fully remastered. If only these people were pricing Dylan's new Bootleg release...

dobyblue, Encuentro and Plan9 like this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I would have bought one but they don't seem to ship outside of the USA.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to pre-order now.

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

9. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Now they're saying the press release was just incomplete, and that all past extras will be included! That means the commentary tracks too.
    http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/101515_1730

I might have bought it for that sale price if they'd said so sooner. Ah well, I don't think I'd really rewatch it anyway.

DeeThomaz, Plan9 and Vidiot like this.
  10. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Great news! Now the question remains is there anything new or exclusive to the set vs. individual seasons.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I've been re-watching the early episodes on Netflix. I've been pleasantly surprised how well they hold up.

Also strange to go back to the days that 24 (or so) episode seasons were the norm. Gotten very used to 10-14 episodes a year for my favorite shows. Sorta nice to be reminded it wasn't always this way (though shorter seasons have their own advantages).

12. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Me too, although some episodes did not age well, IMO. I've been re-watching it according to this "essential episodes" guide and really enjoying it.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/XFiles/comments/33zhcr/the_essential_xfiles_episode_list/

I'm going to try to make it through before the new episodes hit.

13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don’t think “The X-Files” has any particular problem with “aging.” The episodes that aren’t as good are just not-as-good episodes. Nothing particularly strikes me as bad because it’s dated.

I’m not taken out of an episode because, say, they’re looking up a suspect on a 1995 computer with a CRT 4x3 screen, etc.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  14. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I think I was a freshman in high school or possibly still in junior high when the show first aired, and I remember watching Brisco County Jr, followed by the X-Files. I was in TV heaven, at least until the line-up was changed at some point and I lost track of all the changing time slots. At that age, I probably gave the bad episodes a pass, or they still felt fresh and interesting compared to what else was on TV (we only ever had over-the-air broadcasts, no cable yet).

Anyway, I think I am used to the pacing of today's programming. I'm not taken out of episodes when I see Windows 95 on a CRT or someone using a rotary phone, but when good drama gets broken up by long or tedious shots, slow plot development, etc. Some of the bad episodes feel like filler as you're watching them, so that's what I mean by not holding up.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yes, that's a direct result of TV seasons at that time still being largely ~24 episodes, as was mentioned earlier, running from September through May or June with usually only a break around the holidays. I think shows have largely benefitted from the shorter, tighter seasons we now have.

16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Fox Connect has a sale on right now, you can get 50% off your cart for subtotals UNDER $150 using the code Pumpkin. Apparently the code is limited to being used only twice per account, so why not make it once per account on subtotals under $300? haha.

Anyway, I just ordered Seasons 1-7 of X-Files individually, then a new order for Seasons 8 & 9 as well as Seasons 1-3 of Vikings (it was grossly handicapped in Canada with 448 Kbps DVD-quality Dolby Digital 5.1 vs. dts-ma on the US version and no extras or subtitles).

My individual X-Files seasons worked out to $9.50/each shipped to NY. Great deal! I had the boxset for $150 shipped but will cancel that. If you only want the X-Files seasons and don't care about a box it works out to US$85.46 shipped.

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Netflix Canada now has the series in HD:edthumbs::cheers:

18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I canceled the $150 box and went with the singles for $86 and it feels like I am taking advantage of FOX at that price. I will take it though.

PhantomStranger and Plan9 like this.
  19. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll have to go ahead and cancel my $150 order too, although I have to admit I'm a little nervous that they announce something that is exclusive to the box.

20. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I still haven't worked my through the entire DVD collection yet!

21. How do you figure that? 9 seasons x 18.99 is more than the box?

22. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

With the "Pumpkin" coupon code, you get 50% off:

(9 x 18.99) / 2 = $85

But the coupon has expired.

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I've cancelled my order. Netflix in HD is good enough for me. :cheers:

24. Ah, missed that oh well. I guess I'll be happy with my set.

25. My only issue is how long Netflix will carry it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.