X (the Los Angeles band) to reissue its first 4 albums starting 2/22/2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RubenH, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Please explain what you mean by this...thanks, a little confused. Answer to what?

2. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Scotti for your detailed comments from 5/17 and just now. I agree that X was never meant to sound like Pink Floyd; part of their 'vibe' was that somewhat gritty/dirty sound. Still, one always knew that things could sound better. I've got all the original Elektras , the 2001 CDs (some of those bonus tracks are nice), and the Anthology, so I will likely pass on the new versions and get "new" music. And yes, TL #2 really was departure for them - I think they had to pay publishing royalties for some of those lyrical snippets, but I recall an interview back then when JDoe said something along the lines of 'we're not in this for the money.'

scotti likes this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Under The Big Black Sun was the only one I needed on vinyl with Billy, as I have the originals of the others and I do agree, they were never known for incredible sonic's, but at least Fat Possum did a good job here.

Jim Walker and RubenH like this.
  4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Seems to me that if it's AAA they'd want you to know about it, wouldn't they?

AcidPunk15 and scotti like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Of course and that's why I stated to that fact at the end of my earlier post. That is why your post confused me. Thanks for responding, much appreciated. Keep in mind though there is legal confidentiality in place most of the times in what some can and can't say about stuff like this. And of course if it is AAA, most of the time it will be called out as such in the solicitation or hype sticker. Vinyl with a digital step used in the process can still sound sweet if it is mastered properly.

RubenH likes this.
  6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yep, I'm well aware of all that.

7. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Saw the band in Holyoke MA the other day. Great show! They had signed copies (by all 4 band members) of each of the Fat Possum vinyl reissues at their merch table.

Fullbug and scotti like this.
  8. rossi

rossi New Member

yes that's right, I know this person Bob Weston from Chicago
    he is very kind and he answers questions with modest

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    scotti likes this.
  9. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident Thread Starter

Glad to hear Billy Zoom is with the group, as I remember the band had a gofundme for him a few years ago to cover cancer treatment.

scotti likes this.
  10. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

He had bladder cancer and underwent chemotherapy. AFAIK he has been cancer-free since then, but I'm sure he'll have to continue being monitored for potential recurrences for the foreseeable future.

Hard to believe he is 71 now. :eek:

RubenH likes this.
  11. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

At the show I attended, Billy sat for most of it, smiling and being absolutely spot-on with his playing. He got up to play sax. Probably health related. But by God, he does not look like a man in his 70s - and I mean that in a good way!

12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

It had to be health related. I saw them in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity in downtown St. Petersburg with no breeze and he was insanely energetic.

oldjollymon likes this.
  13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Too late to edit but scratch what I said. John Doe was the energetic one. Not sure what I was thinking. Billy was his usual self, and yes, spot on.

MoonPanda likes this.
  14. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Yeah, he has been performing the majority of the show seated for some time now - that was the case the last time I saw them a couple of years ago.

15. Python

Python Forum Resident

Call me an idiot but I only like Ain't Love Grand from 1985 and, to a lesser degree, the follow-up, See How We Are. I'm just a bit too mainstream in my taste, I guess, I just think that ALG had real, dare I say, songs. After I got it I went back and bought Los Angeles and found it unlistenable. As I do most "punk rock," so I probably shouldn't have weighed in. Except that I really, really like ALG, so I'm some sort of an X fan, even if true fans would consider me a "sellout."

Just like "Eminence Front" is my favorite Who song, which I know is probably appalling to actual hard-core Who fans...to each his own!

porotikos likes this.
  16. I agree with the Who reference, but find the X reference mind boggling. No problem though, different strokes.

17. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

billy zoom is a survivor of that insidious disease? god bless him.

how i am "here" is miraculous, relatively speaking. but go zoom. wow.

Davmoco likes this.
  18. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

I bought 3 of the 4 reissues at their recent Holyoke MA show. Only Under The Big Black Sun had a printed inner sleeve. I know that all these albums originally had printed inners, so if you have Fat Possum's Wild Gift or More Fun in the New World, did you get a printed inner?

The copies I bought weren't shrinkwrapped as they were signed by the band. I am curious as to whether the new releases dropped the printed inners, or whether just my copies don't have them.

19. dominguez

dominguez Forum Resident

black sheriff likes this.
  20. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Going to see them next week. Were the signed reissues reasonably priced?

21. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Crumbs - I have trouble remembering. I think they were $25 each.

22. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Anybody got some feedback on this?

23. Pentastone

Pentastone Forum Resident

Hello. Any general consensus on which pressings are the go to? From reading some comments on Discogs and other places it seems if you already have the OG pressings you're pretty much good to go. If you do not and want to go for new pressings then Porterhouse seems to have the edge over Fat Possum's pressings. Sounds about right???

Thank you.

24. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

I guess not. :shake:

25. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

@scotti seems to think Fat Possum did ok with them. I've not heard them, but I'm
    satisfied with my X pile and the audio-fidelity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.