Yacht Rock Revisted: What Yacht Rock is—and isn't.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeftCoastGator, Feb 4, 2017.

1. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds like someone in Japan was fan of the Dan...

2. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

I think curiosity will get the best of me and I'll have to pick up this book that was released this month:

Still Alright
    A Memoir

by Kenny Loggins
    with Jason Turbow

Still Alright

[​IMG]

LeftCoastGator and jfeldt like this.
  3. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

This just in:
    [​IMG]

4. LeftCoastGator

5. ispace

ispace Senior Member

You’re being generous. They did surprisingly badly given the intro was mostly correct.

LeftCoastGator and jfeldt like this.
  6. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

I found a reasonably priced copy of Atlantic Starr - Ultimate Collection on eBay and have been playing it in the car. I’m going to have to revisit some of their early 80s albums because there might be other gems like this one: Touch A Four Leaf Clover from 1983.

7. LeftCoastGator

Awesome track, nice find. And this brings up a good tip for finding yacht soul tracks: Look for R&B and funk acts that peaked in the mid-to-late '70s and then take a look at their early-to-mid '80s albums. A lot of them tried to stay relevant by "Fosterizing" their sound, and you'll occasionally find great yacht tracks from acts that might surprise you, like The Whispers, The Manhattans, B.T. Express, etc.

8. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

Tavares have a couple of albums in the early 80s that are very yachty.

LeftCoastGator likes this.
  9. LeftCoastGator

OK kids, it's peak summer, so here's a playlist of Hawaiian yacht. You'll find yacht, yachtsco, a bit of AOR, some marina rock and a few unclassifiable tracks that bring the aloha vibe. No ka ‘oi tracks perfect for pau hana. E hele kāua, brah!

Hawaiian Yacht Rock

10. LeftCoastGator

Well, I guess this is... kind of... yacht related. Apparently Steely Dan's Fagan, Becker and Baxter worked on this album with Linda Hoover, and actually wrote five of the songs. The album was shelved for 50 years, but was just released.

It's not even close to yacht, but it is an interesting lost time capsule of the really early Dan sound. The album was just made available on Spotify. I thought it was pretty mediocre, but your mileage may vary.

‘I was on the high of highs, and suddenly it was over’: Linda Hoover on her great lost LP with Steely Dan

steelydanguy and ispace like this.
  11. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Not sure if this fits the criteria but it’s close enough for me. Great stuff from Young Gun Silver Fox…

jfeldt, LeftCoastGator and arob71 like this.
  12. LeftCoastGator

Yeah, if you like this kind of music, it's hard not to like these guys. They're a grab bag of all the Westcoast styles, so while they may pick up yacht chords or riffs here and there, they rarely get into the yacht pocket. But no matter, they're awesome. Keep the fire, YGSF.

Munros1969 and jfeldt like this.
  13. LeftCoastGator

OK, Steely Dan is getting some action this week, it seems. This one came up one one of my feeds -- a rare Steely Dan cover of someone else's material. In this case, The Dan covers Joni Mitchell's "Carey," with pretty good results. It's pretty standard mid-tempo late-era Dan (2001), but it's both an oddity and rarity in catalog with precious few outtakes:

steelydanguy likes this.
  14. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Bee Gees are getting some play on SIRIUS

15. LeftCoastGator

Really? Huh. Which song?

16. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

I have heard "How Deep ..." , "Tragedy"

17. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

The Yacht Pocket

18. LeftCoastGator

A scandal has rocked the House of Yacht! Not since the "Diamond Girl" controversy of '21 has something this shocking come down the pike. New evidence suggests that the The Doobie Bounce may not be the DOOBIE Bounce after all. Sources close to the creation of "What a Fool Believes" suggest that the iconic beat may have in fact been borrowed from this track. You be the judge:

jfeldt, arob71 and Porkpie like this.
  19. LeftCoastGator

Oh no. It looks like there's a major studio yacht rock movie in the works. None of the the original yacht rock guys are involved and worse, the plot sound like a complete ripoff of the short film series. I'll hold out hope that Ryznar and the rest of the yacht rock crew finally get something out of this phenomenon they created, but this is Hollywood after all, so I'm not optimistic.

Woody Harrelson In Talks For Lionsgate’s Yacht Rock Musical ‘Sailing’ – Deadline

steelydanguy and ispace like this.
  20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

That would make it...the DUKEY BOUNCE, then!

steelydanguy and LeftCoastGator like this.
  21. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

22. Rick220

Rick220 Forum Accident

That’s a no from me. The intro and chorus may have the McDonald piano/keys syncopation, but the verses move quickly in funk/blues/r&b domain with zero yachtyness in them. What’s more, the drums are missing the airy breathiness which is quintessential Dooby Bounce.

jfeldt and LeftCoastGator like this.
  23. LeftCoastGator

Oh, for sure. The song itself isn't that similar to "WAFB," much funkier. But it's that initial beat that they took and said, you know, we can use this.

ispace likes this.
  24. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I definitely hear a connection there.

My prediction for the movie, to paraphrase James Ingram: it will be mellow, but not funny, kinda ****ty.

LeftCoastGator and RoyalScam like this.
  25. LeftCoastGator

Woody Harrelson in Talks for Lionsgate's Yacht Rock Musical Chezebergs Tast Gud.

jfeldt likes this.