Yamaha A-S1100 Meter Selector Switch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MachineMessiah, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MachineMessiah

MachineMessiah Member Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have been a lurker for about 6 months as I got back into this hobby after many years. I really enjoy reading these informative forums!

Anyhow... I recently purchased a new Yamaha A-S1100 integrated amp which was delivered a few days ago. The amp sounds fantastic through my Ohm MicroWalsh Talls. Even better than I expected it to because my previous amp seemed to have trouble with the 4ohm load. This might be the nicest piece of audio gear I’ve ever owned.

Last night while listening to some music I was playing around with the VU meter selector switch and I noticed that when I moved the switch to VU from Peak there was a noticeable roll off of high frequencies and slightly less bottom end. When I switch back to Peak the sound returns to normal. If I turn the meters are off the sound is the same as if the selector is on Peak. I only notice the change in sound when the selector is set to VU.

Have any other A-S1100,2100,3000 owners noticed this?

2. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I own the as1100. I have not experienced this issue though. I tend to read a lot of threads re the as1100 on this and other forums, and this is the first Ive heard of such an issue.

Sorry i can't be of any help

Possibly contact Yamaha.

3. lollerberry

lollerberry Well-Known Member

I have the A-S1100 and switching the VU meter certainly doesn’t alter the sound. Perhaps you’ve accidentally moved the bass or treble dials as you were testing? I second the idea of getting in touch with Yamaha - they do answer within a few days from my experience.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Any possibility the change is all in your imagination? I ask because sometimes it seems like transients are slower when the meters are engaged on my 1100, but I also think it's more likely just psychoacoustics.

5. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I find the sound to be slightly more accurate with meters off. I think the meters may introduce a slight amount of noise? Either way, its not a big shift, and certainly a shift that requires some dedicated listening to discern. I would not say the frequency response changes with meter selection, at least not in my system.

6. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Lovely looking amp that, heard one in a shop demo- nice.:)

7. MachineMessiah

MachineMessiah Member Thread Starter

After playing around with it tonight I think you’re right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.