Yamaha A-S3000 arrived...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Make sure the auto power standby switch on the back is in the off position.

2. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

"... I thought the AS-2000 was polite, but in a good way. I would call it refined and smooth more than anything, which probably requires careful system matching..."

This is from earlier in thread but wanted to peep in more. The AS-2000 is "polite" relative to my Sansui 8080 DB. It did give me early pause But that was brief. Possibly as well my ears were acclimating out of a vintage vibe which is ballsy no doubt - and that's neat - but less clean. To be clear - the Sansui sounds amazing, was serviced 3-4 years ago and keeps ticking. I love it. But the Yamaha has plenty of bass, is extremely clean and quiet and yields spaciousness galore. It continues to be awesome and is probably still only clocking 100-150 hours so maybe more to come. I do run bass 1 pm treble 1130 to get just a little extra bump. Love that it has tone controls and I run many amps that way - vintage or not. It's great to be able to play in both worlds - vintage and modern. I find myself usually listening to the AS 2000 - not sure I would be satisfied with other modern SS such as Marantz. I also love that the silver AS 2000 has vintage vibe look.

3. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

Sending good vibes on resolving that AS-3000 issue.

4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Any word on when the 5000 series amp will hit the US?

5. whitigir

whitigir Member

The sadest thing is that Yamaha service Manual doesn’t list a solution to fix the Issues. Or anyways to hard reset the thing. I wager there must be a more completed service manual somewhere ? Does anyone have any clues ?

6. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

I don't know if you've tried this yet or not, but I found this:

So to reset Yamaha A-S1000:

Turn balance button full clockwise
    Press mute button and while pressing this...
    Turn the power on!

It's not your model but it might work.:)

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

The fix likely requires parts replacement. If the manual detailed every possible fix for every possible issue, and it were easy for the average owner to accomplish, there'd be no need to ever send them to a tech. An amp tech with the proper tools of the trade will be able to diagnose the problem and determine a fix in short order.

ThorensSme and ggergm like this.
  8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

For anyone used to an automobile service manual, which can be two inches thick, the booklet that's a stereo service manual can be a shock. As @Helom suggests, most audio service manuals assume the tech has years of experience, or at least a more experienced guru nearby on another service bench.

I sold Bang & Olufsen for years. Their service manuals assume you're a well trained B&O tech and just remind you of the steps you already know. They don't have much more than a parts list, schematic, disassembly instructions, alignment procedures, and an overview of how to do the most common repairs.

ThorensSme and Helom like this.
  9. whitigir

whitigir Member

Then there is about firmware updates, but I can not find the firmware to download anywhere .... so crazy.

If the Power Supply was shorted out or burned out, then the fuse should also break. This will render the Amp to not be able to operate at all.

Now, if the issue was onto the Amplifier boards, then the board itself may need to have part replacements, and the Amp would likely be kicked in protection mode this way. By pass it, the Amp should not play back music, or low volume, or distortions or degradations.

I am not an average owner, but rather a bit handy in many things.

Could someone point me to another direction to reset the thing beside those inside the service manual that is around the Internet ? I would appreciate

10. whitigir

whitigir Member

Right, but then what would anyone do if the protection mode is kicked on, and no further solution provided ? Shouldn’t it be like, when the problem is solved....do step A, B to reset ?

For example, what if you replace the whole Power Supply Board ? What is next ? The experiences should not get this specific, but rather how to diagnose Active components, and etc...

Everything else is straight forward isn’t it ? Because there is no Control firmware. Whenever it gets into controls firmware then it would suck. Because even after you solve the Hardware problems, you would still need to tinker with software. This is where it is bugging me out by a lot.

So, let’s just assume that I am familiar with other brands and electronic experiences, but Yamaha and this controlling FPGA and it firmware is stupid.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I already described the reset procedure in a prior post. If that didn't work it's because the amp has a real problem that needs to be addressed. If for example, a "reserve" cap in the power supply is defunct, it wouldn't render a broken mains fuse. Unlike old-school designs, the amp can isolate problems immediately through the protection circuitry.

12. whitigir

whitigir Member

Why would Bypassing the protective function make it sing again then ? If the caps have defunct ? I measure around and they are just fine. Not to mentions Capacitors don’t suddenly die like that. I never short out the Amp or anything, it just shut down due to the standby switch which I didn’t even notice it existence, and refused to turn on.

I am checking all those caps and even Transistors, rectifiers, they are all just fine...Diodes are not broken....no burning smell anywhere..... However, the Amp would refuse to even reset by the way the service manual stated. The input wouldn’t even flash or blinking at CD input. The firmware indicators wouldn’t show up either. At this moment, I think there is something with the firmware rather

I am new to Yamaha, and this firmware protective stuff is very crazy. I like the A-S3000 when it was working, but if this firmware issues persist, then there have to be a way to reset it without going to a tech...shipping a 60+lb Amplifier in a Cardboard box everytime isn’t the most practical thing to do....at all

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Maybe I missed something, but did you buy this amp used? If not, why not just return it for refund or file a warranty claim?

I realize it sucks to be without music. You can pick up an A-S801 for peanuts in comparison, and it will do more than fine for backup duties. This is why I have an A-S500 in my closet. It would still do the job sufficiently in a pinch. Just a thought... Best of luck with your 3000.

scobb and ThorensSme like this.
  14. whitigir

whitigir Member

Just dont want to have to deal with this problem again....the auto shutoff and refuse to turn on...then waiting around for days to even ship it out....and wait for new unit to get shipped back

15. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

This too shall pass. Replace the amp with a new one. You will be happier in the long run. Unless there is something wrong with your set up which is triggering your difficulties and it seems not from what you have written here then it must be a problem with this specific unit.

whitigir likes this.
  16. Daedalus

Ps-I consider this integrated to be a lifetime unit-I would never consider selling it. It has excellent sound quality and versatility with speakers of different requirements. I could not be happier with it.

jusbe, Helom, whitigir and 1 other person like this.
  17. whitigir

whitigir Member

Thank you, I will cross my fingers and pray for the new one to sing without problems ! I love the A-S3000! Still too weird to suddenly do this though

18. whitigir

whitigir Member

Yes, for whatever it was worth, the soundstage and dynamic was too good. The timbres and liquidity is surreal. I too would keep it for life time, just hoping that if he stays healthy just as long

jusbe likes this.
  19. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Even for the new 5000 series? :D

Daedalus likes this.
  20. whitigir

whitigir Member

The 5000 is a stand-alone Power-amp, it has C5000 for preamp right ? That means you probably need twice the money LoL. There is no volume attenuators on the 5000

21. Daedalus

No I don’t think so-simple is beautiful.

ThorensSme likes this.
  22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Yes it's a pre/power amp combo and each is more than the A-S3000 (at least here in Aus). I'm sure it's a nice sounding system but you would expect that paying more that $50,000 AUD with no digital music component at all (I suppose they didn't get the sales for the CD-S3000).
    [​IMG]

clevice and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. Daedalus

That turntable looks like a serious piece of equipment also.

ThorensSme likes this.
  24. whitigir

whitigir Member

Finally got it returned. It needed the approval from Yamaha and so on, so that the shipping is covered. My dealer says that a replacement will be on it way by tomorrow or so. I cant wait!!!

25. Daedalus

Excellent!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.