Yamaha A-S501 or A-S801

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by revolversoul, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Would like to hear some feedback regarding the AS801's USB DAC. I move very slowly sometimes and only got the USB set up and connected to my laptop last month, after owning the amp for some time. I play primarily 24 bit FLAC files from a USB Hard Drive. I use Foobar as my player via WASAPI "Push" (Event returns an error for some reason) and my settings are all optimized for playback.

Previously, I was playing the same files on my Yamaha BD-S677 (Blu Ray) using the USB in for the HD and connecting the player to the 801 via RCA interconnects. The only problem with this setup is the lack of gapless play and those annoying insertions of silence between songs. Hence, I was eager to get the laptop setup with the 801.

Problem is, the files through the Blu Ray player sound much better to my ears. Through the 801s USB DAC, it sounds quite nice, not "bad" at all. However, it is a thinner, less impactful sound. The Blu Ray player sounds much bigger and fuller to my ears.

Not sure why this is - anyone have any ideas? I know the Yammy Blu Ray player has been lauded for it's audio capabilities, but so has the 801's USB Dac. I would be curious to hear from others who have compared the 801s DAC to other products.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Asking for a Friend Dep't. ...

Friend wants to build a CD-based system around a pair of PSB Alpha 5's ($350/pr.), and asked my advice on an amp. Would an A-S301 be good enough? ... or should he go up the model #s a bit, maybe to the 501? ...

3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I am trying to simplify things and am intrigued by the A-S801. Currently I am running a Parasound P5 and have been on the lookout for a used A23 but it's been hard to find one from a seller that allows returns: with the long time frame that these amps were in production and with a tendency for the bias to go out of spec, I feel like I need some guarantee. Anyway, I have no doubt the DAC in the Yamaha will be better (I have a library of 150+ hi rez files including 30 or so in DSD) and the phono section is mute since I run an external phono stage, so it really comes down to the musicality/sound of the A-S801 versus the Parasound combo. Right now I am running the P5 into an 80's NAD 2200PE and it sounds fine but nothing special. Any thoughts? Would the A-S801 at worst be a lateral move?

4. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

A23: “a tendency for the bias to go out of spec” first I’ve heard of this! WTH? Is this true/well known?

P 5 is IIUC a well regarded pre, A23 universally praised within its prodigious power limitations. I’m thinking about an A21 at some point hence my question above. Seems if there’s a problem with the 23 the 21 is probably similar.

I certainly can’t answer your question. Guessing it might be a lateral move, depends on features whether it makes sense. Maybe the Yamaha’s DAC being better would tip the scales.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I wonder if Yamaha makes a preamp with all the preamp features found on this A-S801?

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

"Tendency" makes it sound like they all do it and it's a prevalent problem - is it more the case maybe that it has happened to a few folks, and is a small probability? On the net, four or five users documenting they had an issue can make something seem like a big problem when they are actually a very small minority... this is the first I've heard of this. Undoubtedly there are thousands of A23 owners, if it was a big problem it would be easier to find on a Google search (I tried, with minimal hits).

Have you inserted a filter on your purchase that is making it harder, if not possible, to buy it since you'll most likely get one that is used? (the "problem" and then the guarantee).

7. Dr. J.

Yes, tendency was a poor word choice, but perhaps "reliability issues' is closer to the truth. It just seems like every time I read something about the A21/23, there's someone mentioning something like distortion or lower volume in one channel or some other issue. I have been following the listings on Ebay for about two months, and there's always one "for parts or repair." Right now, I see one that says, "The unit is in great condition cosmetically. The amp powers on and all lights are working. Unfortunately it has developed an issue whereby the sound is sent to speakers initially and then suddenly drops and you can hear an internal clicking as though it is switching on and off inside. However power and lights remain on." Another one just sold with this description: "It works but sometimes it is distorted it doesn't do it all the time, it's intermittent." But I get why my impression is probably erroneous given that they sold a ship load of these amps with many satisfied customers. But for me who is trying to get one and is willing to spend $500-700, it would be nice to buy one where the seller allows returns just in case.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Interesting.... I didn't realize it was that prevalent. I have owned an A21 for over 2 1/2 years and of course :) it's run flawlessly. I plan on selling in the short term, that is as soon as I can land the Accuphase amp I've been patiently waiting to pop up.

You talk about guarantee - I'm sure you're aware of Buyer Protection on Ebay (it works) -- that way if the seller does not disclose or it does develop a problem in 30 days, you're covered. Again, it works, and keeps sellers honest. If they misrepresent something, and you use BP they pay shipping both ways too. Finding with used gear with "guarantee" on private sale, even dealer used stock, is tough and the Ebay option becomes tough to beat from that perspective. But you probably already know this.... :) With BP you don't have to worry about their return policy, it supercedes their return policy choice.

Do you have the confidence in the A23 at this point anyway?? Again though, I still wonder % wise how big the bias problem is..... a call to Parasound might raise confidence, talk to Tony. (in tech support). He'll give it to you straight if you ask him point blank about the frequency of this issue, it might help.

9. Dr. J.

I had to initiate a claim only once on a turntable and it wasn't seamless process. But it did work out in the end. So you're probably right that I should buy with confidence.

Anyone else want to chime in on the A-S801 versus P5/A23 combo? The only other plus I can think of for the Parasound is bass management.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Does anyone know how much the volume increases from one push of the bottom of the remote on the A-S801?

11. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

In dB? That depends on the speaker load and the listening distance, the room acoustics, and the length of the button push. There's no single answer.

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

A better question would be how many positions of the vol knob can you achieve by shortly pulsating the remote button

Agitater likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The Outlaw has a vol indicator on the display, in db. That's attenuation dbs; very useful.

14. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I have the A-S501 and I imagine it's the same. The volume on the remote is satisfactory as far as I'm concerned, i.e., it's not a hair trigger that goes from zero to deafening in .5 seconds. Nor does it take forever. You can make fine adjustments on volume pretty easily once you get a brief amount of experience with it.

The one thing I found I needed, though, was to put a little blue-dot sticker over the notched part of the volume knob on the main unit. Without it, I can't see where the volume is set from across the room. But with it, I can.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

What I know is that the A-S801 has a nice function on the remote so that you can really dial in the exact volume you want. One quick push of the remote button and the volume knob moves a tiny amount, an amount so small that for some recordings you don't even hear a difference for one quick push. Previously, I had an Onkyo amp that moves the dial something like 2.5 times as much as my Yamaha, so I am very happy with this Yamaha function.

Since the above happens consistently, I figured, when designing the amp, Yamaha set up the volume function to move a certain amount for each quick push of the volume button on the remote. I 'd like to know what that amount is, so I figured I'd ask here.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Absolutely, I am very happy with it. If I hold the volume button down on the remote, I can quickly (but not too quickly) raise the volume. And if I push the button quick and release on the remote, I can easily fine tune the volume. As I said above, I just would like to know how much the Yamaha is attenuating the knob with each push, since these seem to uniform and consistent.

Yeah, I think they should have colored in that volume notch with the same color gray that they used for the lettering on the front of the amp. That way, we can see where the volume level is from across the room and it would blend in nicely with the rest of the front of the amp. I planned to do this (or have someone paint it who has a steady hand and already owns paint that would match) but I never got around to it. Instead, I check the volume before playing the next disc, usually starting at 9 o'clock (or 8 o'clock for modern masterings) then working my way up once the music starts.

17. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I cut a piece of white electrical tape the perfect size and looks like it came like that brand new and is clear as day. Do what ever works for you but I feel mine looks “professional”

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Another great solution.

It's funny, when I first bought the amp I was bothered by the lack of a clear way to see the knob position from across the room, but within a few months I got used to using only my ears to set the volume. Of course, as I said, I am sure to reset the volume to 9 o'clock (or 8 o'clock) for each new disc I play, which I do when I get up and change the disc.

Clonesteak likes this.
  19. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

The main issue for me with the knob (which I solved with the small blue dot sticker) is that where it needs to be for TV sound is much higher than where it ought to be for CD sound. I need to know where it's at so I don't send a blast of sound to my speakers. Your solution of manually turning the knob down before you play a disc is good, but it doesn't work if the CD you want to hear is already in the player and you've switched inputs from your seat. (Unless you actually get off your ass, but who wants to do that? :))

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Ah, OK, I hear ya.

My solution works for me because I only have one source. I don't use any of the other inputs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  21. WFM333

WFM333 Member

I am considering an a-s501. Do you guys think it will have enough power to drive my nice but inefficient IMF super compacts II's?
    Thanks in advance

22. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I would think so. I have no problem using the Elac Uni-Fi Floorstanders 4ohms and sound just fine. You could always try it out and return it if not. I think you would be fine especially if you aren’t in a huge room for volume

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I have a few thoughts:

1. Better sound quality. The 501 does not have CD Direct Amp, a function that greatly improves the sound of the 701 and 801 models and is only available on them. If my 801 didn't have this function, I would have upgraded mine long ago, as the sound is a bit dull/diffuse when I turn it off. When I turn it back on, everything locks into place on the soundstage and the overall sound quality improves significantly.

2. Save money in long term. I owned one of the predecessors to the 501 (same power rating) and when I upgraded my speakers, I needed to upgrade my amp (to the 801.) If I knew what I know now, I would have bought the better amp to begin with and saved me the money (and trouble.)

3. Be sure you have ample power. If there is one thing I have learned on this forum, it's that you cannot have too much power.

4. Try before you buy. If you use Crutchfield, you could order the 701

24. WFM333

WFM333 Member

Excellent , thanks for the replies

25. Masterlands

Masterlands Active Member

Hello Guys! I'm new here.
    I hope you can help me to make my decision.

I have to buy a new amp, because my beloved Luxmann is dead.
    My setup is:
    Luxman A-377 (from 1996) (specs at the end of this post)
    Infinity Delta 50, 3 way speakers (10 to 200 watt, 8 ohm)

I want an amp with at least with the same sound quality and trustability of my old Luxman. I was happy enough with it, and I don't need more, neither less.

I have 2 doubts:
    HAve you any idea if the A-S501 or A-S701 have at least the same sound quality than the Luxman?

In case of yes, is there any difference in sound quality from the 501 to 701? I would buy a 501 because has more or less the same power as the Luxman, but I phoned to a store, and they told me the 701 was better sounding than 501 and probably 501 would "dissapoint" me. I don't believe this, looking at the specs of both, it seems to me only the power is the difference, and nothing more. Not sure if this difference in power can affect somehow to the sound at the same db's.
    I will never use pure tone, CD direct, or so, I like a lot to equalize the bass and treble for listening. I find this more exciting to me than having the purest signal path.

IT would be appreciated if some of you give me some light to this because I'm not sure if I will be right with the Yamahas or need to spend more.

specs of the Luxman:
    Luxman A-377
    Specifications

Power output: 80 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 70kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%

Input sensitivity: 0.2mV (MC), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 62dB (MC), 82dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.