Yamaha CD-S300 and CD-S700

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

No sticker here, but it can’t be that old. There is a serial number, but how can I read it?
    What year was the first model that came out?

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I know, right? The manager told me she was going to let the buyer know. I told her I emailed the company last year and nothing came of it. The unit is 11 years old, I guess they don't want to bother looking into a unit that old. Yamaha CD-S700 - Manual - Stereo Compact Disc Player - HiFi Engine

The CD-S300 is ten years old this year: Yamaha CD-S300 - Manual - Stereo Compact Disc Player - HiFi Engine

I should buy a backup CD-S300 myself, but I keep thinking someone is going to put out a CD or SACD player that I want to try.

3. George P

pick-me-up likes this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

5. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

How can I use the USB port? Storing music from my cd:s or otherwise? I have no clue … :)

6. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Haz anyone compared this yam cd 300 to let's say a nad c 538?

paulieb00 likes this.
  7. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

It will play music already stored on a USB drive or on iPod or iPhone. I’m using it to stream from Tidal right now. Sounds good.

8. Charlie-2

Charlie-2 Well-Known Member

Mine was built in October of 2009. I bought it at Best Buy for about 350 bucks as an open box about 4 years ago.. I get the occasional "No Disc", but it always reads the second attempt. Other then that, it functions fine. Sound is great, and at my price point, worth the money with the glitch.

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I asked on an Amazon forum and a lot of people told me that while they were were very happy with the sound, the player would take between 4-7 seconds to play a given selected track (eg : skipping ahead from track 2 to track five). My clearly inferior Technics and even my Pioneer DVD player does that instantly, as in, can't time it; split secs. Why is this ? Do all current CD players are built like this ? Are the servos in charge of these kind of ops of inferiror Q ? What gives ?

c-eling likes this.
  10. George P

The Yamaha CD-S300 and CD-S700 are not very responsive, but they do not take 4-7 seconds to skip ahead a few tracks. It's one second at most.

c-eling likes this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

As to the why's not sure. My Onkyo DV-800 is instant.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

Well; thanx ! One sec is acceptable and not a deal-breaker. Maybe the earlier unit were slower, according to the responses I got over at Amazon Questions. Wonder why an el-cheapo DVD player responds instantly; there has to be a purpose to the delay, as in, it's a characteristic of some kind as opposed to a flaw.

13. George P

When I was in a hurried mood, the Yamaha would frustrate me. Otherwise, I would be fine with a bit of delay.

I now have a Denon DCD-1600NE and when I skip ahead or choose a track directly, it starts a split second later.

Bill Mac, The Pinhead and c-eling like this.
  14. poppop

poppop Member

Hello, everyone. Would love to have some help regarding using with Tidal MQA.

I'm using the CDS-300 (Burr Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DAC) and Onkyo A-9010 (with internal Wolfson WM8718 DAC) with analog output currently.

- Should I use analog output for Burr Brown or coaxial output for Wolfson?

[​IMG]
    - If I connect with lightning cable, will CDS-300 use iPhone DAC instead of Burr Brown? (Because I saw some people say use with Apple Camera Connection Kit)

Many thanks.

15. The Pinhead

CD-S300-RK. Is this the same machine with rack-mounting ears attached ? Can they be easily unscrewed without leaving holes in the player's body ? They're selling it 70 bucks cheaper than the 300.

16. c-eling

Looks like it Martin.
    Just put the screws back in.
    [​IMG]

17. The Pinhead

Yikes ! Thanx man; I searched the net up and down and never found that pic.

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

I'm getting one myself and picking up this afternoon. Question: it does come with an analog RCA cable I think. Is it any good? Plus, silly question from old school boy here: are the optical or coaxial digital output used to pair it with the amp for a better quality sound output than RCA? Or only for external DAC use? Thank!

The Pinhead and George P like this.
  20. c-eling

The 300 has a nice internal digital to analog converter. I'd use it's analog out. :)

The Pinhead and George P like this.
  21. George P

Yes, it comes with an RCA cable. It's pretty much the same RCA cable you would get with any CD player. I got better sound by upgrading to something more substantial. Even an old Radio Shack gold series $10 RCA got me noticeably better sound.

FloydVivino and c-eling like this.
  22. George P

Absolutely! I even prefer the sound of the CD-S300's internal dac to the one that everyone loves in the Yamaha AS801. I compared last year and found the one inside the CD-S300 to be more analog sounding.

fogalu and c-eling like this.
  23. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

I'll do that, use a better analog cable. I was just wondering, what those optical and coaxial outputs are for (apart from linking external DCA). Otherwise, excited like a kid on Christmas Eve!

George P likes this.
  24. George P

Excited for you! :goodie:

FloydVivino likes this.
  25. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Yes - it has the usual cheap RCA cable that seems to come with every CD player. A much better analog cable can be got without spending too much. And the player does have digital and coaxial outputs as well for use with another DAC or an amplifier that accepts digital.

(Oh - I see this has been answered already!) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.