Yamaha RX-995 receiver repair question?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Todd Fredericks, Nov 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

My Yamaha RX-995 receiver has developed a problem with it's remote activated (motor-deriven) volume control (the knob won't turn via remote/silly design). I've tried cleaning the pot, etc. and it'll work for a few uses and then nada. I suspect that the motor is dying. I use the receiver for 5.1 sound on video sources and also TV. I guess I can live without remote controlled volume but sometimes it's a pain (especially during war movies). I was wondering how much anyone would think this would cost to be repaired in a shop? I really wouldn't be into paying too much for something like this but I'm curious...

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's usually a secondary motor that pulleys the volume control up or down. I'm thinking it just really needs a small tweek to work, as I'm fairly sure that Yamaha doesn't use a fully motorized volume knob. I don't THINK so.

Might cost you $60-70, and I'm willing to guess no new parts are necessary. I'm thinking a gentle lube and cleaning is all.

3. Todd Fredericks

If it's not too complicated maybe I can take a stab at this myself. I took a quick look inside when I was cleaning but I didn't see a secondary motor. Maybe it's within the casing of what I believed to be the single motor? I think this weekend I'll give it another look. Thanks, Sckott!

Todd

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You're welcome.

No, it shoulnd't be a big problem, but if the volume control is powered or sealed inside it's own unit, don't bother trying to replace it or fix it. You know how it is. :)

Good luck.

5. Todd Fredericks

I think it might be sealed inside it's own unit. I'll take another look this weekend and if it is sealed then oh, well...

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.