Yes "Big Generator" cd recommendations........

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sound chaser, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member Thread Starter

......from a sonic point of view, I tried a search here and classifieds for some kind of price guide, but it was pretty inconclusive. I have the original U.K. cd but have always found it a bit 'thin', I could put it through Sound Studio myself and do a basic remaster but I would rather find a better cd version, thanks y'all.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'll be watching this thread as well, afraid of how it'll turn out though...

3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I have the Japanese HDCD, which I picked up upon its release. I figured anything was better than the first CD edition. I haven't listened to it in so long that I don't recall how it sounds!

However, about a month ago I found a US Atco CD of "BG" used...it has an RE-1 in the matrix. Back in the day I had a Columbia House version of this one, bought new from them in spring 1988...unfortunately I no longer have that disc.

4. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

That's about all there is, correct?

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The Atco CD is it. The HDCD has been limited into distortion so avoid that one. The LP has too much per side and is hard to track. I actually quite like what Bill Inglot did to the Big Generator tracks on the Rhino box set. His tendancy to hype things worked really nicely with these tracks. I wish he could've had a chance to do the rest of the album.

The balances, excitement and creativity of the mixes Trevor did on the album are impressive to me. However, the fidelity is less than stellar. I bet the Atco CD sounds similar to the mix tapes.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have the first Japan pressing 32XD. I haven't opened it yet. I guess I better get busy.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yes, we expect a comprehensive report on its sonics by 8.00 PM today. Get cracking!

wrappedinsky likes this.
  8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I think the Japanese HDCD remaster is the best of the bunch, myself.

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Why?

10. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Perzackly. What's wrong with the Atco?
    I've got a WG manufactured by Record Services GmbH Alsdorf pressing that sounds just fine.
    I certainly don't feel any particular need to look for an Estonian black label, only pressed for one night on the summer solstice of 1987, non-TO, red triangle, blue striped, matrixed 007 RE-2 pressing...;)

Seriously, the original Atco is fine.

11. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

First time in a few years but I listened to the Yes Big Generator CD today. I have CD cat # 7 90522-2 (ATCO, US). I agree with 'chevvies' from post #1 > this CD sounds thin > even with the volume increased. It'll probably be tough to find one that comes close to matching the sonics from the original vinyl > even my Canadian issue LP from 1987 sounds remarkably good in comparison.

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The Japanese 'remaster' (mine's from 2009 with bonus tracks) may have it's faults, but I'd take it over the lifeless, thin original, especially for on-the-go listening. Yes, it's too processed, but I thought it was more detailed than the original.

The album is only 43 minutes long so I'm not sure where the "too much per side comment comes from," but this one is definitely worth seeking out on vinyl (and not hard to find...i got a mint copy at Dave's in Chicago for $1).

13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I will also endorse the vinyl (cut by Precision Lacquer) if you've got a turntable.

I've got the old Atco cd, but it's been so long since I've played it I don't remember how it sounds. I don't remember it sounding bad, though. . .

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Remember, there was a secret remaster of this title about 4 years after it first came out.

sound chaser likes this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I didn't know that. What was the difference?

I don't know which CD version I had, all I know is it was so bad, it kept me from really liking the album for many years. Sterile, digital and thin like most 80's CD's.

16. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I was just in a little store on a southern island in Japan and found 2 copies of the 32XD first pressing of this, for about $6 each, my quandry was that one, the one with the mint obi, had a way faded cover, and the other one without the obi had a perfect cover...so I passed, maybe I shoulda bought both and combined the best parts, and sold it here, but since I don't even like this album, I figured it was best to save my money...the first pressings of these you can find everywhere in Japan, it musta sold a lot...instead I bought the first pressing of Aerosmith - Draw The Line, for about the same price, call me crazy, but it's a lot better...

17. It was awful. I had the cassette, and when I got the CD later, I couldn't believe the difference. Didn't even sound like the same mix. It was terrible. I now have the Japanese HDCD, and I like it a little better, but the dynamics aren't great. Steve Hoffman would do wonders with this album.

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Not a fair comment for a new recording of that era. It's more like a mid 80's sterile, digital and thin recording issue. Remember little or no bass was in vogue back then. I've never heard a version of this album in any format that was good.

19. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I'd recommend picking up an original LP pressing > overall sound quality is impressive and lots of nice Chris Squire bass to be heard.

20. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder that I haven't heard this for ages :) I'm listening to a US CD I bought ten years ago, so I assume it's the "secret remaster". Apart from the obvious 80's production I think it sounds fine.

21. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

first of all this is one of my favorite cds of all time, let alone one of my favorite yes albums-- yesstiles ive never heard about the 'secret remaster' before-- can you shead more light on this for us? this album was released in numerous editions in the us in the early days: theres a us PDO made cd w/ alumnium center, there is also the SRC company many cd and also capitol records manufactured some as well at their JAX plant- my most recent copy is the 32XD which is the japan-for-japan. this is the yes album where technology really ran over the music in a way, squire has said the album had a million producers all fighting over, like: should we use the 45X80-123 unit or the 47X97-456 unit? etc-- by far one of my favorite cds!

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The only way I know to tell the different masterings apart is by EAC.

23. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

How does the secret remaster from '91 sound in comparison to the original cds from '87? I probably have this one because I bought my CD copy from Best Buy two years ago.

24. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Is the ATCO 790522-2 pressed in Germany (manufactured by Record Service Ahlsdorf) the same as the it's U.S. counterpart ?

25. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member Thread Starter

Can I just mention that since my original starter post my system has changed dramatically and the cd does sound a bit better, however these days I'm more inclined towards vinyl, as a result of which I've just ordered an original U.K. vinyl, which I didn't even realise existed, so much was my affinity with the cd medium at the time.:o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.