Yes live at QPR DVD /CD box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hot on the heels of the Union box set comes this set from the Moraz era. Not only does it include the QPR show on both DVD and CD, but also CD's of the live 1974 King Biscuit broadcast from Boston 1974 and a live 1975 broadcast from New Haven.

Highly doubtful if it was authorized by the band, and not sure of the quality of any of this material. Maybe some Yes experts on here can chime in.

Here's the link:

Takeaway Records - Yes Live At QPR 10th May 1975 Box Set

ARK, tug_of_war, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  2. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Very interesting indeed, esp since it claims to include the quad King Biscuit mix on the 2nd DVD. This certainly does not appear to be authorized but it looks like a nice set. I will be eyeing this closely, hoping for more details about provenance.

Thanks for sharing!

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

Hmmm…. That Boston Gardens show is legendary

Echoes71 likes this.
  4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Takeaway Records page has a Music Glue logo, so it's the same people who are behind the Union 30 release. So it doesn't seem likely to be a straight-up bootleg, but it's probably one of those releases that takes advantage of looser EU copyright laws. Clicking around the website, it appears that this is the only Takeaway Records release (so far, anyway). Clicking the "About" link takes you here:

This is an example of a text page. (You'll want to delete or edit me!)

Learn more about how to format content and embed videos, music and more at:

[LINK TO A MUSICGLUE PAGE]​

Wolfgang's has the complete show. You can't download it but you can stream it.
    Yes - Dec 11, 1974

Wolfgang's also has the previous day's show at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, but "To Be Over" is incomplete, most likely due to a tape change mid-song.

(And they have Wembley 1978 until the tape ran out five minutes into "Awaken.")

tug_of_war, Rufus rag and Mang like this.
  5. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

The QPR video is pretty notorious for its poor sound mixing in the earlier portion of the show, but this could become a tempting purchase if there's been work done to rectify that (I'm doubful).

On the product page there's another image of what looks like a vinyl version, which I guess will be announced soon?

ausamerika, tug_of_war and Mang like this.
  6. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

I have the Stellar Attraction boot lp, with the strange bicycle cover. It sounds really good, probably all analogue when it was pressed.

Now if this got the Progeny treatment…. One could hope.

Javier Santivanez likes this.
  7. [QUOTE="

Wolfgang's has the complete show. You can't download it but you can stream it.
    Yes - Dec 11, 1974 [/QUOTE]

I am somewhat confused as I was under the impression that folks with "record what you hear" audio cards can do just that. Am I in error?

8. I doubt the sound and video quality will be an upgrade so I'll pass on this unless I read that they got their hand's on better sources than what is already out there.

9. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

They found the multi tracks a few years ago so a remix is possible.

ARK and tug_of_war like this.
  10. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

I was there aged 13. Half way back and about half along the the Ellerslie Road stand just south of the lighting tower / desk. I have DVD rips of the Japanese lazar discs and the sound problems are only close to being rectified from Long Distance Runaround onwards. JA is not in the best voice but for my money it is a much better representation of Yes in the 70s than the Yessongs film. Once the sun goes own the whole thing catches fire visually and musically. A tour de force from Alan White and Steve Howe in particular.

BTW afaik this show was never broadcast in quad though the BBC did experiment with some radio quad broadcasts around that time (Jack Bruce Band is one I remember from the How's Tricks tour). I am pretty sure the broadcast later that summer on OGWT was tv only (and only the barest hour or so of highlights) with no simulcast on Radio 1.

11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

"Quad up mix" doesn't sound very promising.

"DVD 1 – Video: Full DVD of QPR ( 10th May 1975 ) concert. DVD 2 – Audio: Quad up mix of the QPR concert + Original Quad version of 'King Biscuit Flower Hour" from Dec 11 1974, Boston Gardens. CD 1 – Double live CD of 'King Biscuit Flower Hour' Broadcast from Dec 11 1974, Boston Gardens (the first 'Relayer' tour). CD 2 - Double Live CD of New Haven Broadcast 10th December 1975."

ARK and Pete Puma like this.
  12. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Yeah, that doesn’t sound too promising but at least it seems they are including the King Biscuit show in quad.

13. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

What is « quad up « ?

14. Doctor Flang

It means spreading the stereo (or mono) into four channels by using some ambience or some up-mix technology. It looks like they haven't done a proper remix from the multitracks.

ARK and Echoes71 like this.
  15. Doctor Flang

I wonder if they have the original pre-FM tapes in their hands...

Echoes71 likes this.
  16. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I’d be surprised if that were the case but we shall see (or hear, as the case may be).

17. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I share the doubts about the audio quality of this release but it will be interesting to see the price point. It is certainly going to come in cheaper than the Union box

ARK and tug_of_war like this.
  18. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I got an email about this release from Gonzo Distribution, so I assume they're behind it. They were also who did the Union megaset. They seem to have some connection to the band still, though i'm not sure who that includes. Seems to be at least Rick Wakeman still, as the email congratulates him for his recent residency at Ronnie Scott's. Not sure if he would've been involved in the QPR release or not though.

They're also offering up Giclee prints of the original Yes logo:
    "Roger Dean designed Yes Vintage logo Giclee prints! Although most of us associate the work of illustrator Roger Dean with sleeves and logo for the band Yes, they had been going sometime before he became inextricably linked with the groups' imagery. Of the three pre-Dean sleeves the most notable was for their 1969 debut album Yes. The original gatefold cover is printed on a tactile semi-matt card in three solid colours give a lot of depth to the original Yes logo design, the pop-art effect can make it almost look 3D. Even though this Yes, logo was very short-lived. It has always been (always will be) a much-loved logo by the true fans of the band. These dayglo Giclee prints are limited to 500 of each of the 6 designs available, either 5 different designs separately or as a bundle of 6 which is heavily discounted and includes an exclusive different coloured print."

19. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

The link is dead.

20. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

As a door-nail.....

21. It looks like Takeaway Records lived up to their name and took the posting away.:laugh:

ARK, Hammer70, Say It Right and 4 others like this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Like Union, this will just be already-existing bootlegs repackaged and sold back to you. Wouldn't be surprised if the video is just repurposed from the old laserdisc or some of the old iffy DVD releases of this show. I think all of them have mono sound.

Would absolutely love a proper release from this era, remixed from the multitracks. (Not sure what exists for the Boston show, but there's two songs from Detroit 1976 on Yessshows so presumably those tapes exist, although the setlist wasn't as interesting as the previous two years)

tug_of_war likes this.
  23. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

I would like to hear that somebody actually has received the Union mega box.
    So far it has been delay after delay.
    I even ordered it from amazon.fr, but they canceled my order. They said that it was too cheap!:crazy:

24. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I remember seeing a pic of Chris with a couple large tape boxes labeled “QPR” on the official Yes site at least 15 years ago, maybe more. Looked like 2” tape.

On the QPR bootlegs, the audio is mono even after it clears up. Trying to turn it into a quad mix makes absolutely no sense to me.

25. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Sorry folks, Gates of Delirium's closed. Soul receiver out front shoulda told ya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.