Yes (Steven Wilson Remixes) 6LP Box Set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big Swifty, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I doubt he is getting royalties. He was probably paid a flat fee like other re-mixers or mastering engineers.

2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Ok, how about more money because of Mr Wilson? Lol

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Add Benefit to that list too! What a revelation. I was amazed to hear that there was bass drum on the album after all this time!

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the Tull vinyl and DVD's by Wilson. There wasn't much difference between the records and the DVD's for me.

marblesmike likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Fair enough. It could be that I just find I play vinyl more than I do DVDs... probably has to do with my rig having a better turntable than it does DVD player. When I go digital, it tends to be FLAC files...

SirMarc likes this.
  6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Same here

lucan_g likes this.
  7. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Seems like they'd give Mr. Wilson an extra slice of revenue since they named the boxed set after him!

8. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

True. But a double album contains 2 LPs, by definition. If someone were talking about Yes's first six albums, then maybe I could see the confusion. But most listings I see specify how many LPs come in whatever packages people buy, so they know what they're getting. An album is an artistic statement that may contain one or several LPs--an LP is a slab of vinyl.

Anyway, I apologize for being argumentative and derailing the thread.

pfausto and AidanB like this.
  9. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

This is great for vinyl fans. I would much rather have seen Mr Wilson 5.1 and stereo remix more of the catalog. A major missed opportunity for me.

tonewheeltom likes this.
  10. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

"...all cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios from the high resolution 96/24 master files."

Out of curiosity. What is the interest to have a vinyl version (therefore with extra surface noise and vinyl crackles) that was cut from digital hi-res 24/96 files, when these files are already available (without crackles :)) on the DVD/Bluray versions from the recent years?

I wonder what is the motivation for people to buy this set. Is it for the beauty of the object? Is it vinyl snobbery? Or is there a real interest from audio point of view?
    (just a question, don't shoot me :hide:)

11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I get better tone playing the record (rather than the cd) in many cases. Even if it is digitally sourced. The turntable/tone arm lends some "air" to the sound. Works for me...

AidanB, Myke, zeuhl and 5 others like this.
  12. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Silly me likes to play a record to really listen. Then while doing all kinds of chores (of the houshold and correctionskind) I'll play the stereo bluray . Finally when it's late I'll close the curtains, dim the lights and play the surround mix.

Myke likes this.
  13. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

You know, I’m a fan of the reworked covers. For the most part, I don’t prefer one over the other, reworked or original (though I do think I prefer the original Tales artwork). I think they’re just different, not nessecarily better or worse.

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I keep asking myself this. Maybe it's all in my head... but I'm still convinced much of my digital sourced vinyl sounds better than the digital files themselves... and I'm running them through a perfectly reasonable Rega DAC. I think there is something in the mastering to vinyl...

15. Reasonable question but obviously you don’t understand that vinyl masters are done differently. It’s not simply sticking a cd on a record

AidanB, JP Christian, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yup, not to regurgitate countless threads where this debate is brought up, but vinyl mastering requires different sonic choices to be made which many people find favorable to the digital masters being released on BD or DVD.

AidanB, JP Christian, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  17. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

It seems to me that the major difference is the signal chain from the digital file to the cutting stylus for the vinyl.

Most reissued, remixed, remastered music is going to be sourced from digital files. But if the file is sent through an analog tube chain to the cutter, it really seems to add that air and dimensional depth in the soundstage back to the end result that you don’t quite hear in digital file itself.

Sean Magee’s work on the Rush and most of the Elton John catalog is stunning. The Elton John; I have UK A1/B1 original pressings and it was very hard for me to perceive much difference between the original UK pressings and the reissues. All sourced from digital files but run through analog tube eq and limiter and analog delay to the lathe. In the case of the Rush reissues, some of those Sean Magee cuts bettered the original pressings in terms of revealing detail in the mixes that weren’t as noticeable previously.

Same with Bernie Grundman’s cuts of the Pink Floyd catalog. I think Chris Bellman cuts through a tube chain as well.

18. Here’s a good example from my personal point of view. I don’t care much for the Sgt Pepper remix however the vinyl sounds better than the CD by a good margin. I own both.

19. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

I think the vinyl would have been even better if they had let Magee cut it rather than have Miles do it at half speed.

misteranderson and Mazzy like this.
  20. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Vinyl colors sound in a way that is pleasing to many people. I like it (even though I don't own a turntable). I listen to vinyl rips mostly.

I am dipping my toes buying some sacd discs. I will get a player soon (I hope). From what I hear, sacd colors the sound somewhat like vinyl, so I want to give it a shot.

21. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to this set (I've already pre-ordered from SoundstageDirect using their 20% off promo) because I feel that a sympathetic vinyl mastering of Wilson's remixes could produce the best versions yet. Time will tell.

Big Swifty and marblesmike like this.
  22. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

It's on Burning Shed - £97.99
    The Steven Wilson Remixes

...and on Amazon UK - £94.06

SoundStage Direct is US$119.00 (US$95.99 after the 20% discount on orders >US$100), and free shipping, at least to my zipcode.

Not yet on Deep Discount or Amazon US at the moment of this posting.

Be nice to see each album made available individually as well. Although they would probably add up to costing more than the box.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  23. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

24. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

Pre-ordered from Amazon UK. I have original copies of a couple of these albums but looking forward to hearing the SW remixes on vinyl.

25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Bullmoose has it for $104 with free shipping.

marblesmike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.