Yes (Steven Wilson Remixes) 6LP Box Set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big Swifty, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I went with Amazon.ca...minimize return hassles if necessary...

2. Mark Jacobsen

Mark Jacobsen Well-Known Member

Definitely looking forward to this one.

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Thanks!

For original mixes on vinyl, I have a white label promo of The Yes Album, an MFSL Close To The Edge, '70s reissue of Tales, and an original Relayer. Don't have Fragile for some reason, not sure why.

Consensus on any remix or remastering is something that is almost never achieved on this forum, but everybody seems to love the Wilson Yes projects. I don't have any of the digital versions yet. Is there anyone who doesn't like what Steven did?

4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I don't love his Fragile remix, I prefer the original DVD A, but all the rest are my preferred digital versions.

As far as compared to vinyl that I own, I prefer the Friday Music 45 rpm TWA, I prefer the Kevin Gray Fragile, I prefer my Chris Bellman CTTE, I very much prefer my promo pressing of TFTO and last but not least, his Relayer is the best I've heard it. I've got a ton of Relayer pressings and they're all kind of bright and thin and hurt your ears cranked.

I preordered this set mostly out of curiosity, and for Relayer, but hey, you never know right?

misteranderson likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Remind me... were these digital sourced? And what year was the Bellman CTTE?

6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Both analog. The Bellman cut was 2013 maybe? It was the European Rhino. You need to track down a copy my good man. Its the only CTTE pressing I've ever heard that actually sounds good. I picked up a lot of 70's pressings over the years to find a good one, and never found one. Then again, I'm sure the remix will sound good. Maybe wait and see

lucan_g likes this.
  7. misteranderson

Thanks.

All the options make my head hurt a little. I honestly haven't spun my Tales and Relayer vinyl for years, I've had them both since I was in high school, and they must be pretty chewed up by now.

CTTE is oddly recorded/produced to begin with. I've always liked the MFSL very much.

I most likely will end up with this box, but not 'til it actually comes out and I can sift through some other people's opinions first.

8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've never heard the Mofi CTTE, but the Bellman cut is highly praised by pretty much everyone, and I see why, its fantastic

misteranderson likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’m got the box on preorder but I’m tempted to pull the trigger on a copy of the rhino 2012 CTTE as well...

AidanB and SirMarc like this.
  10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Honestly, I would. Its pretty awesome. You can't have too many pressings of CTTE :cool:

11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Trigger pulled... you are correct... can't have too many pressings of CTTE.

AidanB and SirMarc like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the Bellman and the MOFI. I like both. I still prefer the MFSL. At this point we are comparing apples to oranges and system matching. The digital versions by SW and SH are not preferred over the AAA versions.

13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I agree except for Relayer, don't love the original mix. Crossing my fingers on that one. I have high hopes based on the Tull remixes on vinyl

14. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Definitely want Relayer and Topographic Oceans but for the price I will probably just get the set.
    No dudes in this one.

15. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there will be different pressings for the US and EU editions, and where the EU will be pressed? if they will be pressed at GZ I'm out!

16. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Vinyl is pressed at Record Industry for the world.

Tojo likes this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Both of these seem to be in stock at Amazon. I don’t see them on the other common retail sites anymore. The UK WB CTTE is $25, the KG Fragile is $17. Tempting, although I have original domestic, Record Club of America and UK copies of Fragile, original domestic and MoFi CTTE, and will probably certainly get the Wilson box. Maybe I need to play through these to see if I really feel like I need more variations. As I recall, they all sound great except the original CTTE.

SirMarc likes this.
  18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

If you've got good early pressings of Fragile, I might pass on the KG cut. I love it because for some reason, I've never been able to find a quiet GP cut of Fragile without IGD. My quietest GP cut sounds a tiny bit fuller, but similar to the KG cut until the IGD kicks in. As far as CTTE, from what I've heard of the Mofi cut, you may be good there too

19. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

Thanks!

20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I bought them both. I agree with your assessment. They’re both very good. I think Fragile is just a better recording to begin with. The Bellman CTTE is tough to fault against the MoFi IMO. In spite of all the copies of Fragile I’ve bought through the years, I don’t have a better sounding one than the KG.

There are always guys out there who’ll say, “yeah, but the UK Plum”. These are two very good representations of these albums. I think you’re hearing it right. I’m still getting the Wilson remix box because these are some of my favorite albums from a time that will never come again. Ridiculous, but damn fun.

SirMarc likes this.
  21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You and me both my man! The run from the S/T through Relayer is flat out my favorite music of all time. How could I not pick up this set?

As far as the two newer pressings, I'm glad you're enjoying them. Kind of makes you wish this much love was put into more remasters of our old favorites...

22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

This weekend Soundstage Direct is having another flash sale. LP25 gets a 25% discount. They’re not my favorite seller due to the fact they charge you immediately and take forever to deliver. At this price though, I had to preorder the Yes Steven Wilson box and the ZZ Top Cinco 2 box.

EddieMann and Electric Sydney like this.
  23. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Thanks! I just ordered from them too.

sonofjim likes this.
  24. misteranderson

Picked up a Kevin Gray Fragile today, thanks to this thread. $20.

The Wilson box is on the horizon, but definitely not from Amazon.

25. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You digging it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.